Archinect
anchor

represent your ipod accessories

spaceghost

my sister is getting an ipod for christmas. i haven't moved beyond my turntable and vinyl so i need to turn to others for cool technology suggestions. im looking for some cool accessories she might need to make her ipod experience even better. thanks for your help.

Dec 15, 05 2:01 pm
mdler

a gas powered generator so she can use it when the battery craps out on her

Dec 15, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha ha. But seriously, mdler has a point.

Dec 15, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

macs look cool, but are shit, imo

Dec 15, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

what are some ipod alternatives? for me personally, i think the ipod falls short because it doesn't have an fm tuner like others. it might look good, but the function falls short.

Dec 15, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

mdler, 'macs look cool, but are shit' is true when you talk about their desktops and notebooks, but the ipod is a truly remarkable product though. Although the sound quality is not as good as iriver's, but its clearly got the best interface and functionality.
I am a hardcore PC user, and own an ipod, and it has never crapped out on me. seriously

Dec 15, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my ipod battery wont hold a charge at all..i use it at work where I can plug it in, but for the 6hr flight home for the holiday, mdler aint listening to shit

Dec 15, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

It doesn't have an FM tuner, but Sony makes a sexy little MP3 player that I saw while I was in Japan. You can get it here now though. Sony

Last year I bought the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra. It's a little big and ugly, but for the price it was really a good value. I got the 30 GB player plus a 2 year service plan for $300 where as, at the time the 15 GB iPod was $300. Since I had more than 15 GB of music at the time, the iPod was a stupid choice. I've been happy with it thus far. Although I sort of want to break it to take advantage of my service plan and get something new (just because there is sexier stuff now haha).

Dec 15, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

give me back my thread or the lady gets it...

oh well whatever..haven't got any other feedback so carry on.

what do you use with your ipod? i know somebody has to have a cool case or attachment. damn i should just get her a portable turntable and keep her in the stone age like me.

Dec 15, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

OK haters, the question was not 'do you prefer mac or PC' or 'why do you hate Apple.' Sounds like the purchase has been made and some advice is needed.

I would get an FM transmitter for use where a hardwired connection isn't possible. I have the iTrip from Griffin and would recommend you pass it up for a better model with an onboard switch for frequency changes.

I would upgrade the headphones.

If it is a photo or video model, some means of protecting the screen from scratches. Unfortunately, this seems to mean some cheesy case with a clear plastic screen cover.

If you feel the urge to take it apart (it is a machine, after all) check out hackaday.com 's ipod hacks section.

I have a 60gig photo model, about a year old. Handles being wet, -30F degree nights, dusty conditions, bike wrecks in a Camelbak, days of dead battery before a charge, etc.

Dec 15, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

and why not one of these, too?

Dec 15, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

one of my clients just came by and brought a gift basket full of stuff. after he leaves i check it out a little closer. it has a two pound box of chocolate, some tea, some cookies, a toy and snacks for my dog, and one wrapped present. as i'm talking to my wife she asks me if i opened the card. no. well, open it. it's hilarious. my client also does work for her office and he just brought a basket by for her and her colleagues. i open it and it is a picture of his kids naked, sitting in lawn chairs outside. i was falling off my chair because it is so funny. then i open the card. it says 'hey kids. don't fight over the ipod.' wtf? i open the one present that is wrapped, and sure enough there was a 30gb video ipod in there. holy shit.

Dec 15, 05 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

how about a gas card/subway ticket for when she has to go back to the Apple store to get a new one......

sorry, am a bit bitter, going on my third iPod, the first two have crapped out on me.....

Dec 15, 05 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i would not mind this for a christmas present

but honestly, why dont you just do some research on your own, it is impossible for us to suggest a gift for your sister. Here is a very comprehensive site you could start with:

ilounge

there are so many addons, both useful and totally worthless that are available for the ipod, check them out!

Dec 15, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

thanks for your advice fro9k. as for the dj rig, i'll have to wait till she gets her second ipod. seems stupid nobody has come up with a way to use only one ipod after all isn't an ipod really just a big harddrive?

to wonderK and the rest of the ihaters i have already tried to recommend her away from the ipod. i have heard good things about the iriver from most everybody who has it. but some how everybody gravitates to the ipod. look into the spinning white disc

and sameolddoctor. i would recommend the multicolored ones on the right. covers up accidents. hope santa is good to you and if you get them you are good to santa right back. thanks for the link. i wasn't asking you to recommend a gift for my sister, (but if you are in the mood for recommending please report here) just looking for what you have and or like. i had been doing research which is why i posted the question. there are so many different cases, so many different addons that me never having used an ipod have no idea if one is better than another. i figured most people here either have or want an ipod and have researched what is good far more than i have. seeing that this is a community of designers i thought to myself, "self, the design community would be a good place to turn when looking for input on a nicely designed case or totally functionless accessories."

thanks again to everybody who has taken the time to respond.

have an exciting archinect evening.

Dec 15, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

I have friend that got the video Ipod after I suggested other alternatives that could actually record off of A/V inputs of any type. He wasn't convinced, because the alternatives weren't as popular as the video Ipod. He ordered it, and two days later returned it because of something wrong with its connection abilities. I don't have anything against ipods, but I personally think they don't have much of an edge over the rival products. They are just marketd really well.

Dec 15, 05 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Incidentally, I'm not saying don't get the iPod, and I'm certainly not an iHater (nice). I still love mine (when it works) and find that I can't operate in certain situations anymore without it.

As for accessories, is your sister a runner? The gym is one of the main reasons I got it and a good armband is essential for the gym. And does she have a good little case for it or one of those skins? Girls have purses you know, with lots of stuff in them, so our iPods need more protection, if you will.

Speaking of protection, sameolddoctor, I wouldn't mind all three of those for Christmas presents! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Dec 15, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

spaceghost, don't buy here that dj rig. I know you won't, but I really hope no one does. If I close my eyes I can see who buys that. Here we go... I shouldn't have done that.

Dec 16, 05 2:35 am  · 
 · 
wilday

this is the only case that i have seen for the nano (if that is what you're looking for) that seems functional and doesn't look studid either.

http://www.switcheasy.com/Capsule_Tech.htm

and i second garpike's assessment of the dj rig.

Dec 16, 05 10:55 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

get her an itrip. That way she can play it in the car or wherever.

Dec 16, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Armband if she works out at a gym or jogs, etc...
Better earphones
A cool little case for it in her purse (my fiance has this fancy Coach leather case)
The car adapter kit to plug into the cig lighter and play thru the radio (iTrip)...

Dec 16, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

thanks for the advice all! really appreciate it. i was kind of figuring a case, there are so many, has anybody had a really good experience with one? the itrip seems really cool, i have been reading some of them don't work too well, fro9k recommended the itrip with the frequency channel switch, anybody have one of those?

Dec 16, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
tsq

George W. adds his 2 cents to the debate, from boingboing.net:

Bush and Hume discuss the iPod
On Fox News Wednesday night, Brit Hume interviewed George Bush about his iPod. Today's Washington Post has the transcript. It's really an insightful conversation that reveals the true brilliance of these men. From the article:

Unidentified male: . . . which ones do you play?

Bush: All of these. I put it on shuffle. Dwight Yoakam. I've got the Shuffle, the, what is it called? The little.

Hume: Shuffle.

Bush: It looks like.

Hume: The Shuffle. That is the name of one of the models.

Bush: Yes, the Shuffle.

Hume: Called the Shuffle.

Bush: Lightweight, and crank it on, and you shuffle the Shuffle.

Dec 16, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
e

the what?

Dec 16, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
tsq

you know, the way you shuffle the shuffle.

Think his batteries might have run out, I mean that's the worst when your batteries run out and you can't hear anything in your ear piece; then what do you do...or say! Damned I-pods!

Dec 16, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

oh right. shuffling the shuffles shuffle.

dick? dick? come in dick. i can't hear dick.

Dec 16, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"self, the design community would be a good place to turn when looking for input on a nicely designed case or totally functionless accessories."

apparently not, spaceghost. By the way if i had to suggest something to you for a christmas present, it would be a sense of humor...why dont you understand when people are trying ot have some lighthearted fun?

Dec 16, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

In everyone's defense, humor can be misread in text form.

Dec 16, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

thats true too...

Dec 16, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
A

I'm an ihater.

Dec 16, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

well sameolddoctor, thanks for your prescription. can i get that in a smokeable form or do i have to take another pill?

i thanked you for your link but ill thank you again its quite helpful. and i hate to argue with you on the topic of has this site been helpful, but i feel i have a better direction after talking to others. if you feel i don't i'm sorry. like i said i wasn't asking you to select the product just give me your experiences with the ones you have or have seen.

i guess the lighthearted fun you are talking about is you asking for boxers when we all know you wear briefs? anyway i'm all about lighthearted fun, so keep the laughs coming. sorry if my sense of humor doesn't translate well through forums. no harm no foul on my side so hopefully we're all good and can continue positive discussions in other threads.

have an excellent archinect afternoon.

Dec 16, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: