Archinect
anchor

What's your firm's holiday party like ?

bricabrack

top shelf cocktails and thai food at the ThomBar, SOHO. dancing. Fuzzied taxi ride home.

Dec 13, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

Broadmoor
Dec 13, 05 10:55 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Halloween....er XMAS parties have never been the same for me since the Turner Broadcasting System XMAS parties of the early '90s. HUge ballroom, open bar(S), average age of employees<30, many places to sneak off to, next to a good hotel, & best of al (at least at the time)l No spouses allowed.

Plus, free parking & security didn't hassle the bouncing cars.

Dec 14, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, ours is tonight. Not sure how it's going to go. Last year at the end they broke out a Texas hold'em poker set and one of the bosses, the one who doesn't like to spend money, joined in the game. Drunk phone calls were made. This year we're twice as big and still just as young. My goal is to not get sloppy drunk in front of the people who pay me. Hey at least I'll look good.

Dec 16, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

dont take that bonus to the poker game...

Dec 16, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

true story... i went to my as of today ex company's xmas party wednesday basically to get my bonus. i had never been before. this company has two buildings and four departments. architecture, engineering, a drawing review department, and a department that does testing on all sorts of products/vehicles/parts etc... sounds big but theres only twenty to twentyfive people total...well i did a double take because there were these two guys there who i always thought were the same guy. i mean they dont even look that much alike but i really thought they were the same dude. it was a very boring party and i got the hell out of there asap. be safe all you partygoers!!!

Dec 16, 05 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

what are you going to do now vado? Starting your own firm or something like that?

Dec 16, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

We went bowling... yeee haw

Dec 16, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

HA ha! It's in the books, kids.....and it was WAY funnier this year than last. 2 of the 3 principals got absolutely shitty, and the owner, the guy who hired me, the 65-year-old....not only did he give a kick-ass speech about who the firm is now and who we want to become, he said this to me:

"You're probably going to sue me for this, but you look stunning tonight. You just look great. You just keep doing what you've been doing..."

Awesome. I think we're all sleeping in tomorrow.

Dec 17, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aww, WonderK, isn't that nice to hear, even in a slurry-voiced way? Congrats on a fun party!

Dec 17, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Ours isn't untill late Jan. officially making us better than all the other firms. At least I think that's what the logic is? Supposedly it's a huge deal here, they've been planning for a month already.

Dec 18, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Being that I worked in 2 offices (DCA/MIA) this year, I ot to attend both. DC: one crazy party @ Helix Hotel. Open "top shelf" bar for 5 hours, great food, dancing, etc.etc. Miami: pot-luck party, some lame beer/wine, music sucked ass, very clicky...

Dec 19, 05 8:21 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I was the only one there without a date or spouse :( I felt alone, very alone.

Dec 19, 05 8:33 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

The good thing about going by yourself to a holiday party is that you can drink for two.

My old boss back in NC would always stare at my girlfriend's rather large chest. It made her and I uncomfortable as hell.

Old men and holiday parties are a breeding ground for inappropriate comments.

On a side note, I went to a holiday party hosted by my friend's boss and ended up getting into a heated debate with her boss' husband. It wasnt pretty - but today, she got her bonus and it was larger than usual - with a note that said "use some of this money to buy that young man something special"

So as always, insult your boss' spouses. It might land you with a larger bonus.
or something like that....

Dec 19, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

another gem from my days in financial sales: at our office party one of the young reps showed up with two dates (both gorgeous girls by the way)...his explanation: "her friend was in town visiting, what was i supposed to do, leave her home alone." mind you, this was the same guy who had another woman cleaning his apartment in exchange for sex. definitely an interesting office.

Dec 19, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

my office party started at 6:00, when i arrived at 6:45 the partners were already out buying more liquor. i would say that pretty much sums it up, but to elaborate. there was fireworks, shirt burning, cigar smoking, and i recieved a beer bong.

we also all got bonuses.
it was nice. for sure.

Dec 19, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow. stephanie, are there any pictures of this? In particular, the shirt burning? Sounds like a great time....

Dec 19, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Dude, what's the take on bonuses? This is the first time i havent received one and prolly the only time i really really really need it.

Sucks.

Dec 19, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
archiphreak

firm paid for a room at the Ritz (yea me!!). full bar before during and after dinner (still at the Ritz), dancing afterwards. we're all architects and designers. the drinking is mandatory and expected. we do have our reputations to uphold here, yes?!

Dec 19, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

there are pictures, not of any of the burning, but yes of the bonging though.
and everyone is kranky today.

Dec 19, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

post emmmmm

Dec 19, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: