Archinect
anchor

Digitally based M ARCH?

m^2

is anyone privy to any grad programs (m arch) that are digitally based, CNC, CAD/CAM, rapid prototyping, parametrics, ect... besides the better known schools SCIARC, Columbia, UCLA?

Oct 28, 05 1:38 pm
monkeyboy

check Stevens out
http://www.archinect.com/schoolblog/blog.php?id=C0_268_39

Oct 28, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
lifeform
toronto al&d

is doing some pretty intersting stuff with fabrication <<and you wont be stuck in NJ>>.
also i kind of like whats happening at Penn.

Oct 28, 05 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

lifeform, hoboken is a 10 minute path ride to NYC. I would hardly consider it being stuck. Many from the program live and work in NYC and have no problem commuting. Much rather be in Hoboken than Canada.

Oct 30, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

For newer stuff about Penn, check out PennDesign

Oct 30, 05 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if u wanna know cnc just go to a tech school for about thirty bucks a credit hour

Oct 30, 05 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
popeye

at stevens:

we have a 500,000 dollar lab (6 3-axis cnc's, a z-corp printer, a big ass cnc lathe....) with in our building that is being upgraded all the time (3d plastic printer).

a computer lab with the full dessault suite (catia, enovia, solidworks, cosmos, floworks) etabs, ecotect.....

a class size of 14 not 75

you also have access to the davidson nautical labs and the environmental lab.

and you get to live in hoboken not canada

Oct 31, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
m^2

popeye/monkeyboy I looked at Stevens web page but was unable to see an M ARCH degree program. The M ARCH is really what I'm looking for in the end.

Thanks for the link to Penn I'll have to take better look at the programs offered.

Toronto or Hoboken sounds better than my dying city of Cleveland.

Oct 31, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

Hey, i came frome Cincinnati so i feel you pain. will this be your first professional MArch? Stevens does not offer ande MArch. It is a Masters of Engineering in Product Architecture.

Oct 31, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

actually i got the feeling that MIT was doing far less digitally based work than one would expect. i don't go there of couse, but i visited it a month ago to look at the MArch program and a friend of mine goes there.

Compared to school like Penn and Columbia where everything is done on computers (again, correct me if i'm wrong, but friends are in both programs), the students at MIT seem to still be drawing by hand and building process and finish models to inform their work. at MIT there were lots of boards and presentation materials that were digital, but also with a lot of hand drawings scanned, etc.

there were also a LOT of really beautiful tactile hand-made models.
so it seemed that MIT was not entirely digitally based. in my opinion. from my visit. correct me please.

Dec 19, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I heard Univ Pheonix Online is the tip of the spear so to speak in direct to fabrication processes

Dec 19, 05 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: