Archinect
anchor

Pet Peeves

db

so I'm sure that at least a few people will comment that innane topics like this on archinect fit their pet-peeve bill, but...

got a pet peeve? keep in mind that a pet peeve is something that not only drives you crazy, but also is something generally out of your control that doesn't seem to bother other people in the least:

mine: crooked bumper stickers! and this includes those "centered" on what must've been that fuzzy ray of light in your head or speck of dirt that's been there for years now anyway since you never clean your car! I mean jesus people, take the extra 30 seconds to make what you're putting on your car that you drive all around the city in look decent! ugh, sooooo annoying.

I guess it's just one of those days.

Jun 15, 04 4:29 pm
anatomical gift

A recently redesign architecture forum with more music threads than architecture ones because people are too afraid to rock the boat with a permanent log in name.

Jun 15, 04 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

more music threads than architecture ones? i just counted a total of 3 threads that relate to music. maybe those are the only ones that you're reading...

my pet peeve is people that like to generalize and exaggerate.

Jun 15, 04 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

By saying that I generalize and exaggerate you are in fact generalizing and exaggerating about me. My pet peeve is people that are their own pet peeve.

Jun 15, 04 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

my pet peeve is my pet, peeve.

Jun 15, 04 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

i actually didn't make any reference to you, anatomical gift. i simply stated that my pet peeve is people that like to generalize and exaggerate. your statement that this forum has more topics on music than architecture is hardly an exaggeration or generalization, right? ;)

Jun 15, 04 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

No...actually, you said that your pet peeve is "PEOPLE that like to exaggerate."

So, really if I don't actually like exaggerating then I guess you weren't refering to me. As it stands however, I do like to exaggerate and took your comment to heart.

Jun 15, 04 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
db

yeesh! sorry I asked.

Jun 15, 04 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

My pet peeve is when I accidentally CAPS LOCK when I don't mean to.

Jun 15, 04 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i think he's got you there cracker. But i think it came down to the way the sentence was arranged. Im sure it was just a misunderstanding in communication.

My pet peeve on archinect, is when ppl post very negative things about someone or a post, and then it snowballs with other ppl supporting those negative posts. I think it has to do with a lot of very trendy followers that cant approach things with an open mind

Jun 15, 04 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Dolores

People who don't say any thing after you sneeze. I'm not looking for a "God Bless You" becuase I understand the religious tree someone might not want to climb up.
There's always the "kazuntite" (sp?), or the shortened "bless you", or even a fucking, "are you okay".
It just makes me feel dumb when no one says anything - like I'm invisible. Because how were they not completly interupted by my loud annoying sneeze. Even a "shut up, man i'm trying to work" would be acceptable.

Jun 15, 04 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Bartleby would kill you for that.

Jun 15, 04 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

ugly ornate carved furniture

Jun 15, 04 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Blind Pew

dolores - that definately is a pet peeve. It would seem to me that nobody would want to say something after somebody sneezes, nor would I want them to have to say anything to me. Sometimes I really try to keep a sneeze in, just so that no one has to excuse me for it.

Jun 15, 04 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

1. people who dress in different shade of black at the same time

2. when people put transfer window stickers on their cars, and leave the plastic backer on the sticker

Jun 15, 04 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

When people write "LOL" or "LMAO"

I know what they mean, of course and recognize that it is common practice, but I just can't help reading these as if they were onomatopoeia. Try it.
To read it that way makes the author sound like a bleating farm animal or something. For me, it's the same effect as if they wrote "MOO!"

Jun 15, 04 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Marc - I totally agree!

Jun 15, 04 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
tman

ya that make sense marc....lol, lmao, har har, i think i like totally understand what you're like saying. LMFAO!!!

Jun 15, 04 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
CIIW

LOL! i sooo agree!!!!

seriously though, i'm over peeople saying things after other people sneeze. one doesnt say anything after another coughs, yawns, farts, belches - its just overrated i think. what is so special about a sneeze that it requires me to ask if your bodily health has maintained a healthy level? I think if you are the one sneezing all the time, you should say, 'excuse me'. its not my problem you forgot to take your indoor/outdoor medication this morning.

Jun 15, 04 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
tman

ya a hiccup is more life threatening than a sneeze. Isnt it true that your heart stops for a moment and that you could die from hiccups? Then again, it could just be a rumor.

Jun 15, 04 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Black-Silk-XXL-Undies!

My pet peeve involves psuedo cool guys that work at a predominatly indie artist record store, but who don't know how far the rumor of their genital herpes has spread through local social circles, yet all the while they drop hints and brag somewhat about how many girls liked having intercourse with him on account of his pierced penis.

Jun 15, 04 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
CIIW

whoah.

Jun 15, 04 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

No, seriously though, chicks really like my pierced...

Jun 16, 04 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

When I work on a cad file that was handed over to me, and all dimensions look like 19'-255/256" and plines won't close...

Jun 16, 04 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

(addendum to Anatomical gift because you seem sensitive today..
Don’t take this personally!!)

Jun 16, 04 7:54 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

If you're told to take out the trash, spill some on your way out...

Jun 16, 04 8:31 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

My pet peeve is when people have the accuracy of their dimensions set to 1/256". Who does that anyway? :-)

(The trash thing - that was a joke, not a life strategy)

Jun 16, 04 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

I guess I asked for that one...
although having people guage my anal-bility could become a pet peeve of mine!...

Jun 16, 04 10:21 am  · 
 · 
aKa

when anatomical gift gets sand in his/her vagina...really bothers me

Jun 16, 04 10:35 am  · 
 · 
cracker

AKA Beavis or Butthead?

Jun 16, 04 10:52 am  · 
 · 
aKa

im more of a 'king of the hill ' kinda guy

Jun 16, 04 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Rorschach

People who love to speak in quotes (ie from famous quotes from
'famous' people), and especially annoying when they use quotes
to justify their actions. I mean, don't they have their own ideas
on things, that can be explained in their own words??

Jun 16, 04 11:35 am  · 
 · 
hoodlam

when people use horrible architecture office cliches like "Where do we stand on this?" or " Are they on board with that?"

Jun 16, 04 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

haha hoodlum, I like those.

Jun 16, 04 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
aKa

as of today PROTO

Jun 16, 04 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rorschach

In the spirit of Hoodlum's peeve:
Bullshit Bingo!

http://www.shanemcdonald.com/laughs/l-bullbingo.html

Jun 16, 04 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Emma B

That’s hilarious! We could use that list at the office meetings, exchange “bandwidth” with “value engineering”, anything else works!
There’s also the “design review bullshit bingo” list that must be made… points earned if the student presenting or any of the reviewers mention terms such as…
blurring boundaries
missed opportunity
shifting perspective
interpenetrating spaces
solid/void relationship
tactility of space
architectural landscape
accelerated urban condition
etc… we all know the list.. could help stay awake during the endless reviews…

Jun 16, 04 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
m

when a piece of your chip you're dipping breaks off and you don't fish it out. spend the extra 2 seconds.
when I have to save down to 14 in the office because no one knows how to open 2002. you do know it's 2004, right?

Jun 16, 04 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
beatmeofficer

when people state the author's name, book title and publication date of everything they quote in conversation. when they do this i ask:

'who said that?'
'in what book?'
'when?'

at which point they have usually completely forgotten what the fuck they were saying, and why.

Jun 16, 04 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

beatmeofficer,

You didn't say it, and I kind of read between the lines of what you were saying, but I think you and I agree on one thing: when it comes down to it, 99% of the people we encounter in our daily lives are pretty stupid, just like cats, who, by the way, eat with the same mouth they lick their anus with.

Jun 16, 04 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

You're so deep, man.

Jun 16, 04 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

My pet peeve is when architecture students purposely half finish design projects in schools thus allowing each person at the critic to kinda fill in the empty voids and in doing so spark an interesting discussion which makes people think they had a solid review and therefore solid project. It is lame, do they know they have done nothing. Sure something half finished is interesting but without finishing it jr it is not yours.

oh yeah my other pet peeve is when people write in extremely long senstences use terrible grammer and poor spellin it makes them seem very less intelligent and kinda dumb(?!

Jun 16, 04 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

when you tell someone you're an architect and they proceed to ask if you know who Frank Llyod Wright is.

when someone knows that you are an architect and they then give you yet another FLLW book for X-mas

when half of the dwgs for a project are on auto-cad and the other are on Microstation because someone in the office didnt want to learn auto-cad

Jun 16, 04 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

I hate being with 2 or more architects and trying to make a fast decision.

Jun 16, 04 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
soleproprietornow

mdler: I agree with the FLW preoccupation of too many people.
one of my pet peeves: a client (doctor) who requested that I limit my hours (contract was based on an hourly rate, with an estimated range of hours) to the bottom end of the range. When I agreed, but pointed out that the resulting drawings might not be as completely detailed due to the time limitation, he responded with "Draw faster." Can you imagine if one of us went in for a little surgery, and when the surgeons fee was presented, we said...."I don't want to pay that much, I will pay only this lower amount, and you can just operate faster." Now that I think about it again, that moves past a peeve to "really p***ed me off".

Jun 16, 04 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

smokers flicking cigarette butts out the car window

we've come some far with litter - remember the 70's commercial with the native american (i'm so p.c.!) with the tear down his face? yet people routinely throw butts in the street .. i get so outraged!

and another thing with l.a. freeways - stop lights at the on ramp that are supposed to keep traffic flowing. half the time there's no need to stop! the traffic is fine mid day, yet they make you stop. think of all the wasted gas by coming to a stop then revving back up to freeway speed.

Mar 5, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

in louisville there's a hotline that you can call to report butt-tossers. you report the license and place and time and the person gets a nice letter from the city asking them not to do it anymore and a trash bag for the car.

Mar 5, 08 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
oe

"(i'm so p.c.!)"

ha ha I love it.

Mar 5, 08 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
your conscience

people keep saying architecture "reads" one way or another. it can't read, count, or play the trombone. why not say it appears, or can be interpreted instead of using the word read in this strange way

Jun 2, 17 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

people who resurrect threads that died a decade ago

Jun 4, 17 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

One of my pet peeves is when you are in a conversation with someone and the whole time they are not listening to a word you are saying but only thinking of what they are going to say once you stop talking....grrrrrr.

Jun 5, 17 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: