Archinect
anchor

Your project might be doomed if...

Nevermore

if these guys demonstrate at your site

Mar 24, 06 2:27 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

Actually nevermore, that`s only when the project happens. But, in todays world you tend to get more publicity and become famous. So, inturn you are assured of more projects defenitely. hehe..

Mar 24, 06 3:30 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

cham,Ive decided... for my next project, im gonna use fur and toxic chemicals and make a song and dance abt it ..
that way, all pro-critters will storm my site and i'll be famous and in time will be shaking my ass next to Paris hilton's .

Mar 24, 06 3:48 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

also if she's the client

Mar 24, 06 3:52 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

... Your project manager has you design an extensive renovation to your client's restrooms in order to double the number of fixtures (based on said PM's reading of the code requirements), and the contractor prices the work out at around $50,000.... You've been questioning the need for such renovations all along, based on the following:

1) The restrooms are on the 8th floor of a 30-story high-rise built in the late 1970's, and were presumably built to code at the time.

2) The code requirements for the number of fixtures haven't changed since the building was constructed.

3) The occupancy and the use type of the building haven't changed since it was constructed.

4) If the restrooms on the 8th floor don't meet code, then presumably the restrooms on all 29 other floors presumably don't meet code, either. The building management thinks your code interpretation is full of shit, and indicates such to your client.

5) You point out all the above to your PM on numerous occasions, and she gets defensive and categorically states that her code review is accurate. You trust her, because she's normally very good about code issues.

But a week away from issuing CD's for permit, you finally do a further investigation of the building code on your own because this issue won't stop nagging you. You discover that no renovations are required, and that your PM's reading of the code was completely fucked up. The demolition permit has already been issued, so you call the contractor at the last minute to avert the demolition of a perfectly adequate set of restrooms.

You then have the honor of sending e-mails to your client indicating that your firm royally fucked up, and that they don't need to spend $50,000 renovating a set of restrooms that weren't even within the original scope of work to begin with.

So you've just saved your firm $50,000 plus legal fees when the client turns around and sues your firm based on your PM's incompetence in reading building codes.... And you anxiously await your PM returning from a week-long vacation so you can explain how you just saved her career while she was in Italy, knowing that she'll probably bite your head off in gratitude.

God, I hate my job...

Mar 26, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: