Archinect
anchor

Advice about applying to jobs

dukyoung85

I am a recent M.Arch grad currently searching for a job. I've seen a lot of job openings that prefer/sometimes require experience in construction documents and here's my situation:

As an intern during my undergrad years, I did do a good amount of work on construction document sets,,,BUT due to my carelessness/imperceptiveness, I did not bother to document any of my efforts. So basically, I have experience but no drawings to show for it.

So,,, when it comes to job openings that ask for construction documents, should I apply/not apply? Should I address my situation?? How do I handle this?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks so much!

Oct 10, 11 10:20 pm

I'm not an authority on this as I cannot even get a real sit down nine-to-five job but I'll echo a  general sentiment that seems to be the norm

Landing a job is the following:

• 10% skill
  • 10% networking
  • 10% spellcheck
  • 70% luck

Demonstrate your skill with a thoroughly thought-out portfolio demonstrating your key areas of knowledge. Leverage one of your acquaintances (professor, former employer, professional acquaintance) for a letter of recommendation or contact info to one of their acquaintance.

Spell check the whole thing, twice.

And then hope someone actually reads it, considers your advantages and disadvantages and contacts you. On another thread about learning AutoCAD, it was pointed out that many firms have their own styles and preferences on how they draft and how they compose their sheet sets.

For an entry-level position, you only really need to know how far away a toilet is from a wall, where handrails go, what a tile hatch looks like and how to draw a line in AutoCAD or set up bathroom_1.rft in Revit.

Oct 10, 11 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

I am/was EXACTLY in the same boat. Had a great internship where I was working on CD's non-stop but ended up moving to a different city for school. For myself, I included a brief description of my experience under the employment history section of my resume. It said something like "Intern Draftsman with Xxxxx architects - primarily drafted construction documents for large residential developments using autocad, work included: floor plans, electrical plans, blah blah blah" My portfolio however was all design work from school.

That being said, APPLY! don't second guess yourself. the worst thing that will happen is they wont respond. Just keep applying to firms that you feel are a good match for you.

If you are really worried about it you can always give your old boss a call (If you are still in touch with the firm) and request a pdf of some plans you worked on. Just let them know you'd like to put it in your portfolio w/ a small note that spells out your role/contribution to the work and gives credit to the firm. (By law they are required to give you a copy if you request it for your portfolio.. I believe there was another thread on the subject also)

Oct 11, 11 2:21 am  · 
 · 
archie

I agree- get copies of the drawings you worked on!  But if that is impossible, there is nothing stopping you from doing a set of construction drawings, or a wall section or two.  Take one of your school projects, and do a sheet or two: floor plan with door schedule, wall sections or details of casework- whatever you feel like you can do.   With computers, there is no real way to tell what was done by the person interviewing and what was done by someone else, so it would be refreshing to see someone take the initiative and do some real drawings, and be able to talk about them. 

Oct 11, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: