Archinect
anchor

i wanna talk about music

lletdownl

dave mathews and sufjan?

how does that work?

if you like dave mathews youd love jack johnson and jon mayer but im afriad you wouldnt be allowed to listen to sufjan anymore

Apr 3, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

if you like sufjan you could try antony and the johnsons, architecture in helsinki, or maybe even of montreal... they all have the lush sometimes/often over the top orchestrations that makes sufjan so charming

Apr 3, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

u see, they're both very pretty songs about or sung by psychopaths ..john wayne gacy (sufjan)..and a fictional first-person character (a sociopath kid...joshua (film not so good until the end when he sings this to his uncle) soundtrack-dave matthews) and i was wondering whether anyone had songs like those in her or his sack.

and who isnt going to allow me?

Apr 3, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i like antony and the j's very much...dunno about arch in helsinki and of montreal. thanks for the suggestions

Apr 3, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
BigAaron

I heard that all the bands you like are gay bashers.

Apr 3, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

it was an elitist joke... 'indie' circles who love sufjan would probably get angry at any suggestion that dave mathews is anything like sufjan stevens

Apr 3, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Dear Bikini Kill:

Why did you have to give us Le Tigre? Its not that I don't appreciate them, but its just not the same.

<3
Pixelwhore

Apr 3, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

antony is very gay...but he likes to be bashed. so gay bashee actually (cripple and the starfish, fistful of love...) http://youtube.com/watch?v=TbCIQ-SKhKE&feature=related

dunno if sufjan is gay or not, but somehow, whatever he is, it doesn't matter that way. he's just so sweet whether he likes penis or vagina.

not; blatant and priapatic (biiigAaron)

homophobe!

Apr 3, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
pixel, reminds me of this
Apr 3, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

sufjan is probably straight, hes a pretty straight edged christian. most of his songs are of religious themes

Apr 3, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

oh man, thats so good!

Apr 3, 08 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Porcupine Tree
King's X
Clutch
Tool

Apr 3, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
n_
The Homoromanticism of Sufjan Stevens' Gay Little Ditties

Sufjan Stevens is my semi-famous person crush.

Apr 3, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
n_
My favorite song from Hot Chip's new album.
Apr 3, 08 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

awesome video! he looks like pee wee herman and the joker.

Apr 3, 08 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i just remembered another one of those very pretty 'pschopath killer' songs

husker du:
(original...ugly and yuky sweaty)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wybDkyQoA

therapy?:
(not original and ...ugly theatrical......and so camp??? the only thing i enjoyed was that it has an epic eighties feel to it....duran duranesque)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbO1AaCnWnQ&feature=related

gravenhurst's cover: beautiful beautiful cover version...excellent....another killer song from a tender mouth...i could only find a snippet :

http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/mp3/Gravenhurst%20-%20Diane.mp3

lletdownl, a devout christian can still be gay...and vice versa :)
but i still say, that doesnt matter at all, whether he is or not. he will be just as sweet kissing a girl as he would be kissing a guy.

Apr 4, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i youtubed Of Montreal. I did not like the music or singing or lyrics. personally, i think twas bland.

Architecture in Helsinki as well; that had much more character... if i were in that mood i'd like it. very fun sounding

Apr 4, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

of montreal's newer album is really good, and anything but bland... if you can, i would recommend you find some songs...

bunny aint no ridder
the past is a grotesque animal
we were born the mutants again

are some of my favorites.

as for architecture in helsinki, they have 3 albums out now all of which i love. it is very cute music. they aren't really a band you go to for substance, but for entertainment and fun compositions i think they are really strong.

id recommend

like a call
its 5!
debbie

also, you say you are youtubing for songs... thats a really hit or miss way to do it... i would say look at

http://hypem.com/

you can find almost any song to stream there

Apr 4, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i meant i youtubed Arch in Helsinki as well (not that they were bland...)

jack johnson & john mayers too... i understand why you mentioned them alongside each other...they're both strum feel-good ..warm ,solid ..though i think j.johnson's got a bit more wit in the music....however.....i don't think they're on par with dave matthew's....he's got much more musical versatility, a much more reactive 'musical' way of singing, his voice has charisma beyong beyond being warm and he can be as dark/somber as light/witty. really, his range, musical and lyrical seems to be much more expanive than the other two. thanks for the suggestions

i'm youtubing josh ritter now.....very different...but i liiiike. i loved his Wings song. but he crams so many words, they demand too much attention!!!

Apr 4, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

yeah, they're cute....that describes their music.

re: of montreal ... well, honetly i didnt like the lyrics, they just didn't stick....the songs i listened to...his way of singing didnt have character and wasnt nuanced, and the music alongside his voice..was neither interesting, for me, when it was sparse nor was it charismatic when it rocked...such as his cover of peaches fuck the pain away.... maybe i was listening to the wrong songs :)

thank you very much for the link, i shall check it out

Apr 4, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

may want to check out animal collective as well.

Apr 4, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i've done b4 dread are the controller, but didnt have enough material..now i mmight with this hypem link lletdownl been nice to give me...

lletdown, its great thanks! i found an REM cover of tori amos' Winter....
i got 2 questions 1- can u listen to a whole album...seems like only songs
2- why there so many tracks that show up as part of the hit list but they can't be played (no 'play' icon)

Apr 4, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

oh..and tori's piano-cover of britney's hit me one more time :)

Apr 4, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i think what hype machine does is search blogs for mp3 posts. sometimes, they're only up for a while, then get taken down, which is why you can't play them.

no, you can't listen to whole albums on it, as far as i know.

Apr 4, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

ok, thank you :)

Apr 4, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

dread is exactly right, but the beauty of it is people have crazy taste, and you can find even seemingly obscure songs through it

Apr 4, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

dont you love it when you buy an album
and its one of those kind where you can
just put it in and just listen to the whole
thing without having to skip a song or fast
foward a track.

Apr 4, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, people do have crazy taste, and it's great.

have you guys checked out the muxtape thread?

Apr 4, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl
WOW!!!
Apr 4, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

that Lollapalooza lineup is pretty crazy

Apr 4, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i haven't seen radiohead live...i had a chance during coachella 2004 but kraftwerk was playing the same time...

Apr 4, 08 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

broken social scene is coming bakc????

i knew bout radiohead...

radiohead and bss at the same place... thats already 2 of my top 5 favorite bands...

now all i need is cursive to come and play only songs from ugly organ and earlier

Apr 4, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

+ wilco...

Apr 4, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

and blues traveler!!!

'WHYYYYY YOU WANNA GIVE ME THE RUN AROUND!?"

Apr 4, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

prince has been added to the coachella lineup.

Apr 9, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Kirkeron78

John Gorka...

Definately worth your time...

Apr 9, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

dread, will you be going to coachella this year?

at first glance of that poster i was thinking why it was blank.

Apr 10, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

hey dammson.

i haven't made up my mind yet. if i do go, i doubt it will be for all three days. i did that last year and it was a lot of fun, but exhausting!

i'm thinkin' maybe just saturday.

you going?

Apr 10, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

if i end up going it'll probably be the saturday also. the day passes are sold out, according to the website, but i'm sure there are ways to get them.

Apr 10, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i'm sure there'll be people trying to unload tix @ the venue. or even on craigslist.

aaaahhhh, why you gotta post those pictures!?

they tempt me even more.

those are from my favorite part of the day too. just as the sun is going down, the desert air starts to cool off. a cold over-priced heineken in my hand. some sweet sensimilla and some great music. damn, nothing better.

Apr 10, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ive always wanted to go to coachella, i think it would be amazing... unfortunately for me im a long long way from california with very little disposable income for such trips...

and unfortunately, the lollapalooza line up is really really weak in my oppinion

beyond radiohead, broken social scene, go team and battles, there arent many bands id REALLY like to see... and ive seen all those but battles already.

johnny greenwood is the controller btw

Apr 10, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, i still need to pick that album up. radiohead and reggae: two of my favorite things. (see also easy star all star's ok computer tribute, radiodread).

last year was the first time i'd gone and it was great. i had a blast.

did you go to lollapalooza last year? i kind of like lolla's lineup better than coachellas overall.

i mean, why the hell isn't radiohead @ coachella this year!?

Apr 10, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i was at lolla last year, and the year before that.

last years lolla was deeper i felt...

clap your hands
the rapture
modest mouse
!!!
los campesinos
apostle of hustle
daft punk and pearl jam

im happy about radiohead, very very happy about radiohead.. im guessing they dont play coachella cause they did that a couple years ago.

plus its an opportunity to play in grant park again, which they have been trying to do again ever since their last stop in 2001 for the Kid A tour. a show i also attended.

dread are the controller is the first song on johnny greenwoods dub mix... thats where your name comes from im guessing?

Apr 10, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yessir. linval thompson. as you can probably tell, i'm a big roots reggae and dub fan.

yeah, last years lineup looked good, even just because of daft punk. i caught them here in l.a. last summer and it was one of the most amazing shows i've seen. (and i wasn't even under the influence!)

Apr 10, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
n_

lletdownl, have you heard of De Novo Dahl? They are a local band playing at Lollapalooza. They are pretty good and pretty fun to see live.

Apr 10, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Roots reggae and dub what is that.
No seriously. Linval, Big Ups!

Apr 11, 08 12:45 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah! while i've liked reggae for a while now, i've only really in the past couple of years started to listen and discern a bit to different styles of reggae.

i like a lot of the great vocal groups of the 70's, like culture, junior murvin and the upsetters, mighty diamonds, black uhuru (i saw don carlos in concert last week. it was great!).

also, lately, i've been getting into more of the deejays/toasters like big youth, and i roy. (the 12" mix of "see dem a come" by culture turned me on to this).

check out my muxtape. it's mostly reggae, with a few other genres mixed in.

Apr 11, 08 2:22 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

n_ no i havent, but i will definitely check it out, i trust your musical tastes based on our short convo

im gonna make one of those muxtapes today

Apr 11, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 

I too love Culture and Big Youth...

Apr 11, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 

B T W,
wicked Muxtape...

Apr 11, 08 9:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: