Archinect
anchor

School Price and East vs West Coasts

lilbuddy

Been lurking here for a while, finally posting.

Anyway, I'm applying for MArch programs, want to be in a city, and on a coast. I'm finding that the ones out west (Berkeley, UWash, UBC) are all good public schools and affordable. Unfortunately, I live in NYC and love it here, have lots of friends, great apt, etc. But it seems like all the schools I want to go to out here are private and expensive. Am I missing something? What's a girl to do? I'm from the NW and love it, but my life is here...hmmm...

I'm looking to focus on progressive design (non-traditional), sustainability, and theory, if that helps.

thanks!

Jul 20, 05 11:43 am
le bossman

what about the central coast?

Jul 20, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

I grew up in California, but have settled on the East Coast post grad school. The most valuable thing that I could say is that "what school you attended" is much more important on the East Coast (in my experience) than on the West Coast. This includes the prep school, undergrad, etc. It just seems that where you went to school has a much greater sense of importance here than in CA. This could be that there are far more many school in a smaller demographic area than in CA, I guess.

I am sure that there are exceptions, but in a general sense, this is my experience.

I would actually try to think about where you would like to work post-grad school, because (if you get into a good school) you will be able to parlay your contacts into your early professional career. Ie. It is much easier to use your academic connections from Harvard, Columbia, etc. on the East Coast than in CA. and vice versa UCLA, SciArc (I would guess) on the West Coast.

Good luck.

Jul 20, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
lilbuddy

Thanks for the advice. It's tricky, went to undergrad in Massachusetts, my friends are all here in NY, got a signif here. Family's all out west. Not feeling like I can commit to either side yet. Guess I'll just have to see where I get in and what's affordable.

bossman: after a summer in Chicago and a couple trips cross-country, I'm not wanting to live on the central coast again. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jul 20, 05 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: