Archinect
anchor

tell me where to go...

norm

a pretty open question -
given a small sum of money, and a week off, where would you go? because this is an architectural site let's assume architecture would be a central theme.

Jul 20, 05 8:57 am
Louisville Architect

Because money is an issue, where you're coming from might be relevant. But, just for the heck of it, I'll recommend Chicago. I've never been disappointed and can always make each visit completely different from the previous one. Same with NY, obviously, but I feel like I can do Chicago a little cheaper.

Jul 20, 05 9:01 am  · 
 · 
norm

ok - say a couple grand and a week off.

Jul 20, 05 9:15 am  · 
 · 

i like to spend some time in a place and try to get to know it more than is possible if you're pursuing a grand tour checklist.

for instance, a trip along the rhine, from cologne down to munich, stopping wherever it seems interesting. distinct change in culture as you move south toward bavarian region.

a week in darmstadt near the matildenhohe (behrens, olbrich, etc.) would be interesting.

i think you can still do east germany fairly inexpensively: dessau (bauhaus) and dresden are fascinating places to spend some time. and, if in dresden, visit hellerau, tessenow's garden/company town.

once rented a car in algiers, spain and drove along the mediterranean coast, through valencia, ultimately ending up in barcelona.

a week in limerick, ireland would be good, too. it's a working class city where the locals wonder why you'd visit there, of all places. i loved it. people are delightful, love to buy your drinks, and you're a short hitchhike from lovely adair (thatch-roofed village and a beautiful manor) and the burren (dolmens, lunar-like landscape). random abandoned castles and churches in the middle of miles of stone fences and sheep.

glasgow and edinburgh make a nice trip. they're such very different places with different vibes, so it's great to do both.

you can never get bored in berlin.

Jul 20, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 
siggers

I can also recommend edinburgh and glasgow, especially around festival time, from 14 August - 4 September.

If you need any other info I can offer I'm happy to help.

Jul 20, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
melivt

well, depending on the time of year, i wouldn't recommend europe right now. it just sucks trying to sketch when your drenched. plus rates are higher. ireland is really expensive. if you'd prefer to go, however, i'd recommend basel. if you can't find a cheap way to get there, try flying into frankfurt or stuttgart, and taking the DB down to basel. it's about 2 hours and withough a bahnfuenfzig card i think it's 50euros each way. there is a ton to do in basel, it's a great city to be in /sketch. and the nightlife isn't bad. plus there is a good show at piano's beyeler til sept. and the 16th of aug. is the basler rheinschwimmen. and if you are lucky enough, maybe you could parlay a job working for h+dm or morger + degelo. otherwise, i'd go to some secluded beach, which doesn't seem to exist on the east coast. berlin would be cheaper and cooler as well. but people in basel are much nicer than berliners.

Jul 20, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 
norm

meliasonvt -
thanks. just curious - does your id mean you are from vermont?

Jul 20, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

eastern europe

Jul 20, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

croatia? i don't know myself, but would try it out

Jul 20, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

ditto Croatia. Don't know much about the architecture, but it is the next great destination for the monitarily challenged. Used to be Prague, then Budapest (sp?), now Croatia.

Otherwise, I would try somewhere more local. Maybe Montreal.

Jul 20, 05 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i would definitely go to LA

Jul 21, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: