Archinect
anchor

what TO miss in...

4arch

with all these "what not to miss in..." posts lately, how bout some buildings/places/cities/countries/things that are just not worth going to or doing or seeing?

Jul 19, 05 11:48 am
MysteryMan

Minneapolis is over-rated. Uh-oh, I've asked for it.

Jul 19, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP

If in Miami, don't bother going to see anything by architectonica...

Jul 19, 05 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

when visiting Chicago, skip Naperville, the third best place to live (in suburban Chitown).
When visiting NYC, leave Staten Island out of it.
I would be fine forgeting about Florida altogether. Although I haven't seen Miami, that might be alright.
Tijuana. nuff said.

Jul 19, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

I have no desire to see the whole southeast portion of the US. Is that bad/wrong? I don't actively hate it, but lack even a speck of curiosity.

Jul 19, 05 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
form64

San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf

Atlanta - Olympic Park

San Diego - no Tijuana. ditto

Las Vegas altogether

Jul 19, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

I wouldn't bother with Bickleton, Washington. But that's just me.

Jul 19, 05 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
e

heh, i live in washington and had not heard of bickleton and had to look it up. i guess one would only go there if you wanted to visit the oldest bar in the state or the bluebird capitol of the world >>

Demographics
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 113 people, 49 households, and 31 families residing in the CDP. The population density is 3.4/km©˜ (8.8/mi©˜). There are 65 housing units at an average density of 1.9/km©˜ (5.0/mi©˜). The racial makeup of the CDP is 92.92% White, 0.00% African American, 2.65% Native American, 0.00% Asian, 2.65% Pacific Islander, 1.77% from other races, and 0.00% from two or more races. 6.19% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There are 49 households out of which 26.5% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.1% are married couples living together, 6.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 36.7% are non-families. 28.6% of all households are made up of individuals and 12.2% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.31 and the average family size is 2.87.

In the CDP the population is spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 3.5% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 29.2% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 42 years. For every 100 females there are 91.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 90.9 males.

The median income for a household in the CDP is $34,500, and the median income for a family is $48,125. Males have a median income of $42,500 versus $0 for females. The per capita income for the CDP is $17,580. 20.2% of the population and 20.0% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 36.1% of those under the age of 18 and 0.0% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

Tourism
The town does not have a gas station but does have a tavern, the Bluebird Inn. The tavern, opened in 1882, is the oldest operating bar in the state and the original pool table, a 1903 Brunswick is still used by regulars.

The town also features a restored 1905 Herschell-Spillman carousel.

Bluebirds
Bickleton is known as the bluebird capitol of the world. In the 1950s Jess and Elva Brinkerhoff were picnicking in this small town after coming from nearby Richland and put a can in a tree for some birds. It became a local fad and now there are thousands of birdhouses purposefully built to house bluebirds.

Both the Mountain Bluebird and the Western Bluebird nest in Bickleton. Maintaining the houses by cleaning old nests is a major task for the local residents. It is funded by profits from bluebird souvenirs sold to tourists at Whitmore's Whoop-n-Holler Ranch Museum.

Jul 19, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

akron, ohio. ughh...

Jul 19, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Ha, e, you made me laugh. We went to Bickleton last summer, and I can tell you, it wasn't worth the drive. Everything--the tavern, the post office, the Whoop-n-Holler Museum down the road--was closed and it was hotter than Hell during a heatwave.

But at least I can say I've been there. And I did see one bluebird.

Jul 19, 05 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Is Bickleton near Bellingham, once described as "It's the Northwestiest!"

That cracks me up.

Jul 19, 05 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

'Northwestiest', hawhawhaw. That sounds like a Chamber of Commerce
film from 1960s Springfield - a city on the 'Grrrow?'

As for the Southeast thing, there are places down here worth visiting, but I won't expose them to anymore 'snow-birds'. No offense, buy they already own Florida, which used to be worth going to.

Jul 19, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

No, nowhere near Bellingham. It's in south central Washington, just north of the Columbia River Gorge, south of Toppenish, east of Goldendale, west of Mabton. Do a mapquest search--the screen will be blank except the little town of Bickleton.

For you liberty bell, I add Needmore, Indiana (all three of them) to the "what to miss" list.

Jul 19, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
e

113 ppl? 31 families? it's an incestuous lil town. whatever took you there snjr? and where did you come from to git dare?

Jul 19, 05 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Michael Graves' Portland Building

or it's a don't miss depending on how you feel about S&M

Jul 19, 05 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

rationalist's comment is intriguing. I've found that, having lived in a variety of places, the southeast is one of the most interesting places for me from a cultural/social and architectural standpoints. I think there is a richness in the mix of history, mythology, and contemporary reality in the southeast that provides a great source of inspiration for a region-specific architecture.

We may be moving in the near future and I'll be going through a job search, but we've chosen to limit our choices to south of D.C. and east of Houston....

Jul 20, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Not Per,
The vector says: "ATL". The(newer) region specific architecture that you will find is gonna be a thousand variations of Williamsburg, with a few pockets of actual Architecture here & there. We look forward to havin' you though, we can always use more Arch-like minds.

Jul 20, 05 9:09 am  · 
 · 
aemkei

It's ofcourse only my own humble opinion but I think Parc de la Villette (Tschumi) in Paris was one of the more tedious architectural experiences I've had in recent years (at least in comparison to the other sights the city has to offer)... so if you don't have way too much time left over when visiting Paris, you might leave that one out of your 'to see' list.

Jul 20, 05 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

e--we were on our way to visit my parents in Okanogan, having left from Portland. We stopped in Goldendale for the day/night to visit the observatory there. We had a few hours to kill before dark and saw a blurb about Bickleton in the "what to do" pages of the phone book in our motel. It didn't live up to the hype, let me tell you.

Also, it doesn't look like it on the map, but the drive out from Goldendale is hell for anyone even vaguely afraid of heights. There was one point where we just had to trust we weren't going to drive off the cliff into the air, that the road really was meant to go in that direction.

Jul 20, 05 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

Ouch. Don't misunderstand, Mystery Man. I'm not moving into the southeast as an outsider.

Yeah, every new bank is a small Williamsburg Governor's Mansion, but there is some wonderful new work, too. Very much like the work of Eskew+ in N.O., Ray Huff in Charleston, W.G. Clark in Va (formerly Charleston), Scogin Elam also in Va? (used to be Atlanta), and there are plenty of others. The schools in the southeast also have a particular flavor: NCState, Clemson, UNC, FIU, Tulane, Savannah College of Art and Design, etc.

Jul 20, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

there are several towns near LA one could not bother about at all:
-diamond bar
-chino hills
-woodland hills
-lancaster
-palmdale
-riverside (actually most of san bernardino county)
-anaheim, irwine

need i say more????

Jul 20, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Not Per,
sorry for the Faux Pas. I'd add Savannah to the list, though I see you've listed SCAD. I'm not sure Scogin-Elam are still active in Atl, either, but I drive by their house from time to time & the XMas lights are still up. maybe I shouldn't say that, now some Archinector is gonna rob Mack Scogin.

Jul 20, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Not to rag on NC, but bypass Kitty Hawk, what a waste. Deceptively remote, Kitty Hawk quickly yields itself as just another series of low-buck tract houses & strip shopping centers. Why do people build 'burbs to escape from the 'burbs. Burbs on stilts is what it is.

Jul 20, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: