Archinect
anchor

How soon can I leave?

Kool-Aid

I started a job a few weeks ago and I think that I made a mistake. Not that its a horrible job and the people are mean, but I know that it isn't a good fit for me and that I would be more satisfied at a different type of firm. How long do I have to stay so that i leave on relatively good terms? They invested a lot of time in training me and they are nice people, so I don't want to up and leave-but on the other hand life is short and I don't think I am obligated to spend tons of time an office when I could be happier somewhere else. I want to stay in the same city, so I don't want to have a bad rep floating around. Any suggestions?

Jul 18, 05 7:31 pm
strlt_typ

until you find a better one

Jul 18, 05 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I left my first job after graduating after the first day. Don't prolong the situation if its not working. I was embrassed for a couple days but knew it was right for me. That was 17 yrs ago and I heard from another architect that things haven't changed, everyoffice has its own personality and if it doesn't work for you call it what it is, be honest with them and yourself.

Jul 18, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

i think whistler has it right, and as he said being honest with everyone will be best. i left a job after a few months. i had realized it wasn't good for me. i sat down with the principal and explained why i needed to leave. he understood, appreciated my honesty, and parted on good terms. i had no new job lined up, but i knew leaving without one was for the best. i found a new and much better one within a month. i don't think you will get a bad rep if you don't make a habit of it. we all make mistakes.

Jul 18, 05 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Kool-Aid

THanks for the responses. I just moved here and Im hella broke, so I think I am probably going to get as much as I can out of the position until I can afford to make big decisions like this (by the end of the year probably)

Jul 18, 05 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
evangelicalbunny

since you are broke, i'd recommend staying put until you have locked up something new. keep looking aggressively, and as soon as something new comes up take it.

actually, it is better that you have only been there a short time because when the new job emerges you have the cover of having recently been looking for a job. rather than having been there for a couple of years and acting like everything was great and then leaving your employer confused when you suddenly split. they'll understand if you make a quick turn around provided that you have a clear answer for why the new job is better, ie, the "work more closely relates to your interests," "it's closer to home," it was always your dream job and you just can't pass up that opportunity," etc try not to lie, because you might get caught red-handed, rather just pick a sincere reason as to why it's better and move on.

Jul 18, 05 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
evangelicalbunny

damn,

i forgot to sing off again, heere goes

With Love!

eb

Jul 18, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

get the hell out of there before they suck your spirit dry.

Jul 18, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I had the same experience. Realized on the second day that it was a bad fit for me. But there was no way I was going to be able to stick it out, I started having anxiety attacks, and was showing up late and leaving early. All within a week and a half!

I told the guy who hired me what was going on, must have confused the hell out of the staff, because after only two weeks I gave two weeks notice! So yeah, one whole month. And I don't regret it one bit. It was really that awful....

Life is short, live accordingly.

Jul 19, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
ferplexion

just hold on a sec!

after the first week at my current job, i was sure i would leave. but i stuck it out because I couldn't find anything else and I needed the money.

After a couple of months, things have improved immensely. I get along well with my coworkers, and I'm learning a lot, even though the projects are not ideal. i'm respected, work normal hours and get paid well, which wasn't true at other "cooler" firms that I worked in- what I once thought would be my dream job turned out to be awful.

I probably won't stay here forever, but I'm happy for now.

Jul 19, 05 3:32 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Yeah...I see what you mean ferplexion. I know that things will probably improve to the point where I could "live with it", but I want a lot more that that. I've had more than a few jobs that I kept just to pay the bills and I don't want that to be all that there is of my career.

Jul 19, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Ferplexion...... some would consider that a condition of your soul being sucked out.

I can understand the willingness to make it okay. Lots of things to learn in the business, even things you don't have to like. Offices that aren't one persons personal taste / dream job still offer good learning opportunities.

Jul 19, 05 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

If its rough RUN Forest RUN

Jul 19, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

But I'm not sure why you think this practice is not a good fit for you. Especially since they seem to have so much promise in you. Could you elaborate?

Jul 19, 05 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

ferplexion, that's good that it worked out for you. In my bad job, on the other hand, I was grossly underpaid, worked on slow computers with 10-year-old software, and was proselytized to everyday at lunch. Yep, that's right, I got hired by evangelical Christian architects. Sneaky little bastards must have turned off the radio station every time I came in for interviews (3x!). Also I was the first woman they hired in 10 years. Probably because we are supposed to be submissive to our husbands and not work.

Turns out they do a lot of churches, go figure.

Jul 19, 05 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah

that is funny. I know people who work in offices like that.

I worked for a rather extreme feminist that screamed at me every day for my actions that she attributed in me being a man.

Now i dont have a problem with feminicist, actually I go so far as marching. But come now...dont try to kill because of the wang!

Jul 19, 05 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

This past spring, I thought I would leave my design job and go try working at a cabinet-making firm as a draftsperson. I knew going in that it would be a step down in responsibility, but a step up in pay, and hopefully I would learn something new.

They had 2 weeks to plan for my arrival, but when I got there the first morning, I had no desk and no computer. Still, my new boss handed me a bunch of pages and said, "Draw these!" without any other useful advice. I found an empty computer in a back office, and I was trying to figure out the office CAD standards when I heard this yelling and screaming: "What the f@#$ does that b@#$* think? She f#$(ing thinks that she f#$!ing knows how the f@)( to make a f#$*ing countertop! How the f#$* would she know if it was the wrong f#$(*ing color? Stupid f#*$ing b#$*%!!!" I was all "what the *hell* is that?" and the guy sharing the office said, "Customer Service."

I knew right then it was time to call up my old boss and go back, even if it meant taking a pay cut.

Jul 19, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
e

boss wo/man give me my ol job back, and i'll work for half price please. me can't work for no stoopid f#*$ing a$$h*%# no more.

Jul 19, 05 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush
They invested a lot of time in training me and they are nice people, so I don't want to up and leave...

How much training could they have given you if you've only been there a few weeks?

I don't know where you live, but I the market is pretty good right now for job-seekers in much of the country. If it's really that bad, I'm not sure why you'd wait until the end of the year...

Jul 20, 05 2:38 am  · 
 · 
norm

i left a job in a different profession after two days. i have spoken to them since and they would hire me back. make yourself happy. no one else will.

Jul 20, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
bigness

it's been said before, but its the best advice...leave after you have landed a better job

Jul 20, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Start showing up naked and see how long they are willing to put up with it. When asked why you are naked, reply "This is my design outfit stupid!".

I can tell you that they will begin to see your position and your environment will improve.

Then you won't have to look for another job.

Jul 20, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

If you're in a faaked up situation in your job - walk. Financial hardtimes are better than selling yourself short to some jerk who don't give a damn about anyone but himself. More architects should do this & not try to kiss ass all the time. There are plenty of projects out there for you to contribute your talents (if'n ya got any).

Bottom line - Don't work for 'tha Man'. Work for yourself, after all it's your friggin' journey, ain't it?

Jul 20, 05 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

"son, when life gives you lemons, then just quit."

i have to say, this is the greatest motto ever. EVER!

Jul 20, 05 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: