Archinect
anchor

Rehabilitation!

maglis

I was pondering away and decided that I would like to design a neat new place. I want to design a center for disabled children and adults. This center would provide care and wellness to people who've been in automobile accidents and were left disabled and children who were born with any physical or mental disability. It would be a center where people could reside for long periods of time or for training and day-to-day exercises. This center would use nature's most natural resources to provide electricity. It will also use safe and environmental friendly materials to build this center. I need something else it seems, something to really grab attention. Can anyone help? Anything will do, resources, similar designs, anything. Thanks!!!

Jul 18, 05 3:30 pm
larslarson

i wonder if what is basically a hospital would allow
you to run any electricity off natural resources...probably
could work as a secondary system and provide some, but
i doubt a facility with any medical equipment would realistically
be off the grid? especially being disable in automobile accidents
there's probably a lot of head trauma and/or spinal injuries that
would require heart monitors and breathing devices..

as far as the idea...in college i designed a project for child hope
which is an organization that provides aid and activities to families
and their terminally ill children.

don't know what you could use to really grab attention...maybe a
new way of thinking about hospital rooms...ways of space planning
or the like...a salk-like idea..

Jul 18, 05 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

this is the 4 th one in series.
first culture mall in venice, dog house/bar somewhere else, than uni- faith center in long beach and now a rehab center.
are you guys from the same class? or the same person working as a fisherman for a medium size tel aviv architect's office?
why don't you combine all the proposals and come up with something with adaptive possibilities. or something generic like a low cost gym..
you are welcome.

Jul 18, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

this is similar to some of the things you are tallking about, but probably not a perfect match,

http://www.thefowlercenter.org/aboutus.shtml

design-wise, the most notable aspect is the treehouse for disabled children.

Jul 18, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

maglis,
sorry for being difficult on the peripherals. i forgot i was once at the same place in the past, trying to design an artist retreat, while my classmate working on women's wellness center named 'Women Come Often' and made a model from pink cardboard using red solar panels for hot water. everything was perfect.

putting the rehab center in nature would help a great deal. i think there will be an increased need for models like you are designing, due to arrival of wounded soldiers from afganistan and iraq.

Jul 18, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: