Archinect
anchor

getting a job after school

F0403

im going to be graduating next year and im looking into jobs now, im wondering if anyone knows the best way to find a good design firm, im in the boston area, so it shouldnt be hard
im just getting really frustrated with things like "hotjobs" and "monster" i wish i could just type in "wicked awsome artsy firm that will let me do cool shit" but nothing comes up
any suggestions?

Jul 18, 05 1:31 pm
el jeffe

are you looking for jobs in the same location as your school?

Jul 18, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

if you have to "look" for a job via postings you are probably already in trouble. in this profession the best gigs find you and if they don't then it is probably a sign to try something else.

Jul 18, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
A

It's a bit early to be sending out resumes, but sure, figure out what firms you potentially want to work for. Better get that porfolio going now as well.

InsideArch is a good resource for interns. Problem is that someone actually has to evaluate the firm, thus not all firms are on there.

HotJobs and Monster only have job listings for firms advertising for work. Same goes for the job links here on Archinect. I've always gotten jobs at firms that weren't advertising.

Word of mouth is good. I'm sure your college has some kind of alumni resource. You can always just spend a day searching the internet for firms in the Boston area. Some company websites do tell quite a bit.

Just a word of wisdom. Dont expect to go right from college to "wicked awesome artsy" stuff. Architecture is a business with clients that pay the bills. Most clients don't want what we [architects] would like to give them. Just expect to do a lot of projects you aren't proud of, and hopefully just enough that you really love.

Jul 18, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Alumni and professor connections are HUGE. Getting your foot in the door just to talk to someone that will remember your name is half the battle. Don't be afraid to use any kind of connections you have to help you get something. Good luck.

Jul 18, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

..el jeffe, yes im looking into firms in and around the boston area, and then perhaps a grad school there as well
... thanks for the advice A, and ya i know i wont find the job i want right out of college..its to bad you cant tho :)
...thanks A Center for ants?..btw my favorite movie ever!
... as for Puddles, was it necessary to be that Nasty? i am just a 3rd yr student and im trying to get ahead of the game, im asking everyone i can... i do acctually have a current project im working on with a friend who graduated, im lucky to get this job, but its not just luck that got me it, i also have a little talent, but thanks for the advice!

Jul 18, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

gather every damn website for architects you can. start compiling a list of the people you want to work for/with. divide them into categories:

1: would drop everything to go work for, dream job.
2: would absolutely love to work for, 2 weeks notice at any firm not in the category above no questions asked.
3: i want to work here.

the more you have in each category, the more you have a chance of working somewhere you actually want to work.

also, if you need to stay in your area, go through the local phone books and start driving by places just to see what they look like. maybe walk in on occasion and drop off a resume and some sample pages.

Jul 18, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

The best advice I got was to find a city first then look for firms.
That makes it easier to do searches and interviews.

Have you tried Boston's AIA site, might not get you the greatest firms but it is a resource.

Like momentum said, face to face helps. The more you can drop off resume/portfolios/etc. by hand the better off you are.

If your really desperate to find "a wicked awesome artsy firm" your going to have to talk to people in the know. I'd be asking your professors about firms in the area as they'll be tied into the local architecture culture more then we would and might know of a few gems you can't find online.

Jul 18, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: