Archinect
anchor

Autism

jes

Just throwing around the idea of creating a center for children with Autism that helps them with social interaction. My concern at this point is the use of color. Very little research has been done on how children with Autism react to color and space. Any suggestions/books to read/personal experiences/etc?

Jul 17, 05 8:50 pm
big dead elephant

probably like medical journals might be a good source? are you near a decent med-school?

Jul 17, 05 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

There are several cases of autistic children with exceptional artistic ability documented by Oliver Sacks that I found pretty interesting.

"The Autist Artist" in The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
and "Prodigies" in An Anthropologist on Mars

One of the problems on understanding the behavior and perception of autistic children is that the syndrome is used to diagnose a wide range of varying symptoms. There are actually many different forms of the syndrome.

Jul 17, 05 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
35mm

check out temple grandin's thinking in pictures.

Jul 17, 05 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Nighttime

It's a recent novel told in the voice of an autistic teen. Color is very significant to him, for example, he counts cars of various colros on his bus ride to school, four red cars in a row means an awful day is in store, etc.

Fabulous read, I highly reccommend it, but too tired to look it up at powells.com for you right now....

Jul 18, 05 12:39 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

jes-

i would actually try to look up a school that specializes or has a specific program intended for children with autism. ask around and find an educator you can speak to candidly and just ask questions.

check medical articles on google's academic search feature...

Jul 18, 05 3:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: