Archinect
anchor

It's a dog's life...

missfrosty

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and just wanted to run this idea past you all for some feedback.

With the increasing popularity of people taking their dogs out with them everywhere they go, I thought it would be cool to design a "Canine Community Center".

The challenge would be to make this institution not only functional, but also aesthetically pleasing for human socialization using materials intended for industrial use but without that “industrial” feel, as is the case with most pet care facilities.

The idea is to make one feel as though they are at a galleria that is conducive to the mingling of humans, while at the same time, providing a valuable service for them and their pets.

The center would serve a multitude of purposes for humans and canines. Such services would include:
1. Training
2. Kennel facilities
3. Adoption services
4. Social events for humans and their dogs such as contests, singles nights, and classes
5. Grooming
6. Pet portraits
7. Shops
8. Vaccinations

While the facility is of course dog friendly, the objective is really intended to be a social gathering place for people who have a common interest.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Jul 16, 05 7:06 am
driftwood

I don't know what's scarier. The idea itself, or the fact that it might actually work in some places...

For some reason, it reminds me of an article I read the other day about a Wal-Mart in Virginia (which got the idea from a Wal-Mart in Germany) that was holding a 'singles night.' Participating singles would get a special cart with a giant red bow, showing their particular shopping needs...

Jul 16, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
conversationkiller

i see the correlation.
hehehehe. people are so pathetic. how am i going to design for people if i cant stop laughing at them.

Jul 16, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Spot on, conversationkiller. But when I'm not laughing I'm crying.

Jul 16, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I feel you both...

I do kinda feel bad for ms. missfrosty... I imagine there aren't many worse ways in which to integrate one's self into this message board...

Jul 16, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

"Canine Community Center". wtf. missfrosty -are you american by chance?

Jul 16, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Maybe your from Thailand....abattoir design is probably more appropriate.

Jul 16, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS
link
Jul 16, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

That's flippin' cool...

But not as cool as the tug boat pulling around a gigantic Nike ad outside my window...

Jul 16, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
missfrosty

First of all, thank you for the warm welcome. If it matters I am an American from Los Angeles California where such an idea as this really isn't that far-fetched.

I was told that this was a good board where I could receive advice and constructive criticism. I didn't expect to come on here and have my nationality questioned. At least judging from your responses, I can assume that this is a fairly novel idea. Thank you for your opinions and any helpful feedback would be much appreciated.

Jul 17, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
archie

Hi Missfrosty; yes, this is a novel idea, but it has been done in a slighly more limited form before. Near my house is a PETMART, which is a pet superstore. They are all over the nation. You can bring your dog into the store to shop with you. They have dog treats there. you can buy or adopt pets (adoption is thru a connection with a local shelter), they have services like a vet, vaccinnations, grooming, training. They have social events. I think the only thing they do not do that you mention is boarding. We also have some parks in the area that are leash free dog parks. it IS a dogs world. ( I am a cat person, alas)

Jul 17, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, wait, my comment - about laughing at the people I'm designing for - was in no way directed at missfrosty.

God knows until my son was born my dog occupied a totally unjustifiable portion of my free time and emotioanl energy. Living in the city, I walked him to a dog park once a day, twice on weekends, and for awhile there the people I met at dog park made up a huge portion of my social life in the city. My dog had "friends" who he liked, and others who he didn't like, and from the amount of time we dog-lovers spent devoted to our animals you could easily label us fools. There was even a book published locally in Philly that identified dog-friendly places like sidewalk cafes, which parks provided free plastic bags, etc. And a now-defunct restaurant had a Bastille Day meal to which you could bring your dog and get him/her served AT TABLE with you. And two cites I've lived in have dog bakeries - that is , they make baked goods JUST FOR DOGS.

So this kind of common interest may seem ridiculous to those who don't share it, but that doesn't mean it's not valid. As you say, missfrosty, there is a common link among people with similar interests. I once watched a young African-American new father and a middle aged white delivery guy have a very ethusiastic 15 minute conversation about minivans - the older guy was a courier delivering a rug for me, and the young guy stopped to ask him about the features on his mini-van which he was intending to buy. These guys carried on and on about folding seats, storage space, etc. for far longer than you would imagine two people from very different cultural backgrounds would be able to - because they had a common interest.

Good luck with this project, it is definitely interesting.

Yes, I'm in some specific ways just as pathetic as those I laugh at - and I'm quite comfortable laughing at myself.

Jul 17, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
JG

You guys are tough. This is a novel idea but one that can be developed. When I moved to New York the only people I knew were my co-workers and immediate neighbors. Once I adopted a dog it became clear that was a social network of dog-owners in the city. It didn't take long for me to meet many new and interesting people. In New York we have dog parks which is just as must a social hour for the owners as it is for the dogs. While the dogs run and romp the owners are making business contacts, exchanging tips on real estate, discussing legal matters, etc. A center that can faciltate this type of informal social gathering would go a long way to bring dissparate neighborhoods and classes together over a common interest. I see it at a small scale now but I think it could definitly work as a building program. Good luck.

Jul 17, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes like archie sez petsmart has dog training and you can just bring fido along and into the store to shop. i see nothing pathetic in any of this.

so messed up i want u here
in my room i want u near
now we're gonna be face to face
as i lay down in my favorite place
now i wanna be your dog
now i wanna be your dog
well c'mon

Jul 17, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Bula
It's a dog's life...

not all that bad actually...if you got the dough.

Jul 17, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

taped conversation between me and the dogs when they were staying @ la dogworks..

-elloo doggies.. vaf vaf.
-girrr vrrraf. ola abgrra. varf. fuck you this place is shit grrrr.
-whappen?
-ruppi bit the certfied trainer grrraf..i ate the books. motherfuckerrrrgrrabbra..there is semen all over from the prvus sukka.
-did you do the yoga class.?
-yamiyami i shit on the matt, brrrom.
-how how's the aroma terrapi?
-sfinxs. barf barf.
-hang in ther guys i'll get you tomorrrro.
-go fuck yerself brrrra.
..click..

Jul 17, 05 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
conversationkiller

holy fucking leaping jesus. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahahahaha

ABRACADABRA FOR PRESIDENT!

Jul 17, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

LA Dogworks reminds me of _Best in Show_ , one of the best movies of all time. The psychotherapy session for the dog at the end of the movie...

Jul 17, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh
www.urbandog.com
www.chateaumarmutt.com

Haven't been to LA Dogworks yet, although my dog does vacation at the Double Dog Ranch for "Adventure Boarding". Jeezus, I live in squalor, I think it is the least I can do for her.

http://doubledogranch.com/

Jul 18, 05 12:26 am  · 
 · 
missfrosty

These links are terrific! LA Dogworks looks like a total riot. Aromatherapy? Hadn't thought of that one, although I'm guessing it's no picnic for the dogs. I'm sure they would prefer the smell of bacon. Hehe.

Ok, now I know this isn't the most original idea. So the challenge is to turn it into one. That's why I was thinking about making this type of space geared more toward facilitating human social relationships. Any other helpful suggestions or thoughts about this?

I really appreciate all the links and feedback. This is just what I was looking for.

Jul 18, 05 7:15 am  · 
 · 

how about a booth or a storefront of some sort where I can, say, borrow a cute puppy and take it to the park or the beach. that's a waaay better way to -uhm- mingle.

Jul 18, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

chicks dig puppies.

Jul 18, 05 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
Jul 18, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: