Archinect
anchor

Strawbeary's new home

Ms Beary

I am moving in a month. I don't have a job lined up yet. I don't really worry about it too much. I feel my good work thus far will help land me in a decent place, I just have to FIND a decent place to apply to. The new location is Denver, I plan on moving there first (there are other reason to move, not just to start a new career) and then start interviewing.

So, any leads on great firms to work for? Anyone in Denver hiring? Thanks, Archinect.

Jul 14, 05 8:48 pm
wildlobo71

Depends on what you want to do... I work in Denver, tell me your bio and I'll give you an honest opinion.

Jul 14, 05 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have B Arch from ISU, unlic., have worked almost 4 years in medium sized office, doing a wide variety of projects, with varying degrees of creativity/practicality, many building types/construction types. Before that, I worked two summers in a structural/civil engineer's office. I still need to develop professionaly, experience is most lacking in code checks, spec writing. So still need a firm who can allow me to grow.

I work in a pretty typical architecture office, heirarchy inforced, CAD, cubicles. I am interested in maybe a good design/build company, and/or high end residential design, small to medium sized is best. But I am not just looking at those. I enjoy and thrive in an environment that is more studio based than corporate looking, where there is interaction among team members, employees have a sense of humor, and the clients are looking for more than a cheap decorated box - the usual wishful thinking things. Don't want to work on high or mid rise, nor necessarily large complicated programs like hospitals or airports. I prefer urban sites and workplaces over suburban. I like the ped mall area for a workplace possibility. I am not really into any western theming or rustic stuff that might be stylistically prevalent in Denver and surrounds (in the mountains.) I want a firm with some benefits, I have the short end of the stick here when it comes to benefits and salary and I don't want to find myself in that situation again. My design philosophy all relates back to the human and perception, designing spaces around moments rather than wholes and would enjoy a firm with similar intentions. I did some interior design and I enjoyed that very much as well - mostly color and material selection, no curtains or furniture.
wildlobo - where do you work?

Jul 15, 05 8:08 am  · 
 · 
A
HOW ABOUT THIS PLACE?
Jul 15, 05 8:59 am  · 
 · 
siggers

lol A, that's a terrible thing to do...

good luck strawbeary

Jul 15, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I have no advice on firms for you, as I'm out in the hills, but I moved to Colorado to visit for a winter once. That was 8 years ago and I'm still here. Colorado Rocks!

Jul 15, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
losdogedog

strawberry,
there are no great firms in Denver, just competent ones. Most intersting projects are done by architects from out of town. However, try the AIA Colorado job board. They usually have 10 new job openings a week.
As far as design build, there are not that many. The only one that comes to mind is Buchanan Yonusheski. They design build and develop and often hire. Although they specialize in mid to high rise mixed use and condo projects.

Jul 15, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

thanks everyone. i have been to the AIA Colorado website, i will be looking into several openings there.

Jul 15, 05 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
wildlobo71

I work in an office that, while not as sterile as the one shown in a recent forum where we have all commented, is on the 5th floor of a non-descript 12 story building in downtown. Plenty of open work space for all of our employees without "cleaning" requirements in place. (Good thing, because the Ted Kyzinski-type over my partition would be revealed if they made him clean his cave.) There are firms here in Denver with loft spaces; Buchanan Yonusheski is in an old mansion near south of Downtown. They do a lot of spec residential these days.

Anyways, the firm I work for has 16 employees and covers all aspects of architecture - not getting locked into any one niche (we have had one lay off in 40+ years as a firm due to economic downturns). We have the hotel and hospitality team; the term-contract team (those who do 40 post office projects in a year, etc... no glamour, but good fees); the new construction teams, and the historic preservation team. I am on three of the four teams - everything except hotels. My primary role is historic preservation, which I have a passion for. There is not a lot of glamour, photo opportunities, and fame in historic preservation, but it is such a detailed, complex, problem solving opportunity - that's what architecture is to me... problem solving.

I would disagree with losdogedog in some respects... we have no world-reknown firms... No HNTB, no Callison, no WATG or SOM. The most well known firm in town, Fentress Bradburn, was just ranked 65th largest in the US (in terms of fees billed for 2004.) They do interesting work; nothing that I would call huge design leaps, but interesting civic architecture. Where I disagree is that there are no great firms. What makes a great firm, anyways? The number of photos in Record? I think there are exceptional designers and firms in this town, but they are identified at a local, or regional, level at most.

Design Build firms in town include BYG, Neenan (primarily in Fort Collins), a small firm called RealArchitecture/UnrealConstruction. These days, however, we all do design build. I have probably completed 3-4 DB projects in the last three years, and about the same number of D-B-B projects, where it used to be all Design-Bid-Build.

Said a lot, and at the same time, nothing much... If you want to contact me further so I can drop names, email me at [email protected]

lobo...

Jul 16, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

this one is goin' out to ms. strawbeary!!! we love ya babe!

ridin the storm out
waitin for the thaw out
on a full moon night in a rocky mountain winter
my wine bottle's low
waitin for the snow
im thinkin bout what i been missin in the city

and im not missin a thang
watchin the full moon crossin the range
ridin the storm out
ri-i-idin the storm out

my lady's beside me
she's there to guide me
she says that alone we've finally found a home
the wind outside its frightening
but its better than the lightening life back in the citay!!
its a hard life to live but it gives back to you what you give.

ridin the storm out
ridin the storm out ow
rocknrool guitar
ri-i-i-din the stor-r-r-r-r-r-m out.

thank you goodnite!!!

Jul 16, 05 1:33 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Need an apartment in Denver? I've got a nice one bedroom in Lodo - just bought a loft and need to sublet (but you'd be able to renew). It's available Aug. 26th.

Let me know if you are, it's the last 1 bedroom available in my building (places are pretty full right now).

Jul 16, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

is this all because of your friend's book????

Jul 16, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

not because of the book, but the author does approve of Denver as a suitable habitat for humans. :)
trace - I e-mailed you.
lobo - haven't e-mailed you yet, but probably will.

Jul 17, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i thought strawbeary was a guy...

Jul 17, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

you don't pay attention then

Jul 17, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what was the question again?

Jul 17, 05 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: