Archinect
anchor

Research help- a tough one

sharpie.

I`m currently doing a research on science buildings, mainly concentrating on buildings built for optic research, electro magnetism, astronomy, weather stations..

The aim is to get an idea about the magnanimity of these built spaces and to get an idea of important design aspects and treatment of spaces w.r.t circulation, security, material etc..
Anybody done thesis on science buildings?

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Jul 8, 05 1:32 am
Ms Beary

what school is this for? just curious.

Jul 8, 05 8:52 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

its not a school project, an architect doing a research.

Jul 8, 05 9:28 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

anyone?

Jul 15, 05 7:28 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

or any sources where information can be got from?

general spatial requisites in such buildings?

Jul 15, 05 7:30 am  · 
 · 
yalo

look up the work of peter gaison, professor of history of science and physics at harvard. he has done a lot of work on this subject. good luck!

Jul 15, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
yalo

sorry that's peter galison

Jul 15, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

chameleon ... i wrote my thesis on biotech-related industrial parks (or in urban planning parlance, technopoles). There are many architecture firms out there that specialize in science buildings, and one that comes to the top of my head is KMLabs.

as for the larger issues related around the building of such science related facilities, try manuel castells and peter hall's technopoles of the world or stephen graham and simon marvin's splintering urbanism

www.telegeography.com has some cool floor sections of science-related buildings.

a thesis by susanne seitinger (MCP, MIT urban studies and planning) and a dissertation by anthony townsend (phD, MIT urban studies and planning) may also be helpful .... these particular works can be found either on the MIT Media Lab website or the MIT digital theses collection.

also, reinhold martin's the organizational complex talks a bit about bucky fuller's designs for radar installations for the USAF.

yalo is right ... check out the work of peter galison, antoine picon, ken alder, betty jo teeter dobbs, as well as edward eigen.

hope this helps.

Jul 16, 05 1:59 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

thanks smokety and yalo. i`m trying to get hold of 'the organisational complex'.
infact, i was looking out for a book that suggests the design process for such buildings.

i`m checking out the works of these guys and MIT media lab site is a great help. thanks..

Jul 20, 05 1:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: