Archinect
anchor

oLympics 2012

guiggster

I thought I'd create another thread about the Olympics 2012 in London. You know why? Cause I'm drunk, and I didn't think there were enough. You know what genius can come from substance abuse? Anyway, let this be a destined-to-be-doomed thread about the virtues of sustainability and the over-ratedness of that ROGER.

Jul 6, 05 10:00 am
BOTS

Some images of the proposed develoipments in the East End would be good? There's been a bit in the journals but not much on the web at the moment.

Jul 6, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I've found something.

Jul 6, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

The main stadium.

Gymnastics here.

Shooting at the 15th Century Royal Artillery Barracks.

Olympic Park.

Archery at Lord's Cricket Ground.

the media here will also be well catered for architecturally.

Jul 6, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

With a nod for sustainability they have commissioned an artists impression for the park after the events.

Jul 6, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Beach Volley Ball on Horse Guards Parade. Good seats for Will's and Harry when the ladies play!

Jul 6, 05 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Yes, one of the best venues a few meters from the front door. To host football and hopefully rugby.

The Millenium Stadium (only 140 miles from the Olympic park).

Jul 6, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

I heard Alejandro Zaera-Polo from FOA is designing something about the Olympic ring?
and is that Jan Kaplicky's white UFO for the media?, where is this thing and what is it for exactly?

btw, congrats to London! ..

Jul 6, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

future system's lords media centre 1994 here
http://www.future-systems.com/projects/221f.htm
and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords

Jul 6, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

inside the main stadium

key to olympic park

masterplan

Jul 7, 05 4:17 am  · 
 · 
lizok

This really sucks.

Moscow was one of the candidates for the 2012 Olympics, wasn't it? At any rate, Moscow was up for one of them, and didn't get it. :(

THE OLYMPICS SHOULD GO TO MOSCOW!!!

Jul 7, 05 4:25 am  · 
 · 
aemkei

I was actually a bit amazed that the games didn't go to NYC. Not because they deserved to get it more than any of the other four candidates, but because I figured that they'd get all the Moscow supporters' votes after Moscow had been eliminated, since in all likelyhood the 2016 games would go to a European city (and Moscow would have gotten a possible second chance) if NYC would have gotten the 2012 games in order to avoid the olympics being too distanced from Europe in case of a fourth consecutive summer olympiad on another continent.

Personally I was hoping for Paris...

Jul 7, 05 7:14 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Recently NYC, Atlanta, LA. - you've had enough. Time to give another country a chance surely...

Jul 7, 05 7:17 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

who did the intial design for the stadium and the masterplan?

was it FOA??? if so, it never ceases to surprise me how much those guys will take on...

Jul 7, 05 7:22 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

from BD (UK)

The biggest names in architecture are queuing up to design the prestigious centrepiece of the 2012 London Olympics.

By Charlie Gates

Rem Koolhaas, Future Systems, Norman Foster, Foreign Office Architects and HOK Sport have all told BD they want to design the £265 million athletics stadium, which will go out to tender in six months’ time.

Koolhaas said: “I think stadiums are one of the great collective buildings and we are really interested in the collective. In recent memory there have been very compelling designs for Olympic stadiums but it is something that is ready for reinvention.”

Foster & Partners, which is overseeing construction on the new Wembley Stadium, said it would compete for the Olympic stadium alongside Foreign Office Architects and HOK Sport.

Amanda Levete of Future Systems told BD: “I have always wanted to do a stadium. It is one of the main building types. Any space that holds that many people — it is such a heady mix.”

The bid team — Allies & Morrison, HOK Sport, Edaw and FOA — have also put in a joint bid to masterplan the Olympic Park. The shortlist will be announced next month.

A further eight venues will be put out for tender over the next few years, as well as a £500 million Olympic village.

Leading architects gathered in restaurants in London’s West End for the International Olympic Committee’s announcement. The news that London had beaten favourite Paris by four votes was greeted with jubilation, but the industry has warned that now the real work must begin.

Jul 9, 05 5:20 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

London’s selection as host of the 2012 Olympics has put a number of major developments in question, including a £200 million east London scheme designed by Atkins.

article

Jul 15, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

The contest to design venues for 2012 must be intellectually curious as well as commercially competitive. Koolhaas, Chipperfield and Zaera Polo have set the pace

article

Jul 15, 05 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: