Archinect
anchor

architects + body art

rationalist

The architects I know seem to be split into two camps- some are body art crazy (12 piercings, 3 tattoos, black hair with platinum tips), and others follow Adolf Loos' 'Ornament as Crime' philosophy.

So, I'm curious: which are you? Do you sport any piercings, tattoos, or other manipulations that I haven't thought of?

Jul 5, 05 3:44 pm
johndevlin

nothing: I don't even wear rings, hate to wear watches even. I like the edginess of men with tattoos, however. I just don't do it.

Jul 5, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Is there another category? Not completely unadorned but not piercing-happy? Can we call it "stylish eclectic" or something flattering? If so, I fall into that one.

Jul 5, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i'm somewhere in the middle.
i have a bunch of piercings that i hardly wear anymore.
no ink, but want some...if i can ever decide on something i want on me permanantly.

Jul 5, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

I've stretched my lobes to 3/4", and have lately been thinking about going larger.
I have my labret pierced (can't really see it through my beard).
I have my septum pierced.
I had and am planning on getting again, my madison pierced (its the skin at the base of the throat, start of the collar bone).

When I have the money to spare, I plan on getting tattoos, but right now its just not finacially feasible for me.

Jul 5, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

one tat - somewhat regret it, but it's out of the way.
don't like piercings at all.
by the way, most archs I know fall exactly in the middle of the spectrum...

Jul 5, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

i have some ink on me, but i wasnt aware that there were architects who go overboard with the tats and piercings. not that its a big deal or anything.

Jul 5, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

I consider myself in the middle, but its because the people I hang out with are much more into piercings/tattoos than I am.

Jul 5, 05 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

nothing on me but i give myself red sharpie stigmata every morning after my latte.

Jul 5, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

jeez pixel, you may not have many, but the ones you have are pretty serious.

maybe we're more of a middling profession than I realized, but keep in mind that most of the people I know in architecture just graduated, so they're either still wholesome and pure, or trying REALLY hard to be artistic individuals.

I'm also in the middle- two sets of lobe piercings, two cartilage piercings, and one new tattoo that prompted me to think about this stuff. However, I won't die my hair. I don't really have a coherent explanation for that, but I won't do it, no matter how hot I may think all black, pink tips, etc. might look on others.

Jul 5, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Oana S.

stephanie... i am in the exactly same situation.....
hmm ... i didn't thought architetcs could ever agree on something

Jul 5, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
dia

dia 'adolf loos" base.

Jul 5, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i am a devout hair dyer.

if that makes me any more "edgy"

Jul 5, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

hey, it's more ornamentation, so bring it on!

Jul 5, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

serious? I don't think they are. the lobes maybe, but theres nothing serious about the others.

all my "jewelry" is simple, flared tunnels in the ears, a simple retainer in my septum, and its probably the most ornamentation that I have. don't wear rings or anything dumb like that. wear a watch only if I absolutely have to...

Jul 5, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
e

i have no tats or piercings although my mother, father, and brother all sport several tats each.

my best friend has more tats than i can count. both legs and arms are almost wallpapered. one on his belly, one on the back of his head, and one on the bottom of his foot. yes, that's right, the bottom of his foot.

Jul 5, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i haven't seen my real hair color since 1994. currently I am quite "striped" with low-lights and high-lights both.

Jul 5, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
pumakiro

I am one of the " less is more only where more is not good" type of person.
Tat's ...yep...but the ones that make a composition not ten scattered ones ...I got one that might be growing at any point in life depending on my mood. Try to do them out of sight so YOU won't have to deal with it all day long...
Earrings and piercings...Can’t stand them...
Any other kind of body accessories...Sure...Depending on the occasion...
Glasses? They NEED to be Something special...REd with blue lenses...Greens with yellow lenses....REd's with pinks lenses...you name it. Hair? I once had white hair on one side, Then red, then blue...Not anymore..."Just not in the mood....

Jul 5, 05 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

hmm I dont have shit on my body! I do have enough moles on it however to make me a leopard (a dark one at that). I have connected the dots a few times tho

Jul 5, 05 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Pixelwhore - funny how you calculated the 3/4" 19mm to us metric folk - i was working out some dimensions (same) I had used on a piece of furniture and i fit my index finger up to the first knuckle, I couldn't resist the urge

that is cool tho - until then I had no idea what a madison was - archinect fun and educaitonal.

If i had hair I probably would colour it - but like Loos I think of hair as pure ornament (its dead cells why keep it?). I do wear a ring and a bracelet but that purely for oratury needs - they dangle

Jul 5, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

'the crown jewels' are a man's greatest ornament. Also secondary sexual characteristics such as the beard, which St Augustine said in 'The City of God' I think, was for man's adornment. Hence I keep 3-4 days growth of stubble. I only shave on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Nothing in my hair, only cold water to keep it from sticking up. I get my hair cut every 3 weeks: short & simple. I also wear glasses: Ralph Lauren wire frames. My only concession to extraneous 'decoration'. Since I have to wear the dang things, they may as well be of good design. I need a wife to buy nice clothes for me, something I don't know how to do...

Jul 8, 05 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: