Archinect
anchor

Does anyone here work at SOM?

Jefferson

What's the feeling there? Does bastard Child know how much people hate that obelisk?

Jul 1, 05 9:40 am
Urbanist

I think a better question may be, does he care?

Jul 1, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
bawmis

the tower has to be the worst comission to take on. no design will make everyone( or even half the people) happy and dealing with all the "clients" and organizations involved must be beyond enervating. I bet david is the first person to try to jump off the top when/if its ever finished. its an impossible task and we should have a bit more compassion and respect for the fools who attempt it. i cant help but think its the architectural equivalent to going over niagra falls in a barrel.

Jul 1, 05 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

well said bawmis

Jul 1, 05 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

no doubt it is a difficult job, but that isn't the reason the building is so mediocre. it's just that childs and SOM always aim for functional, high-payback mediocrity.

i'm sure there was a conversation somewhere between silverstein and childs where the former confessed that he knew childs was a developer's architect and how he could trust him not to get all artistisc on him, etc.

i am absolutely positive that childs doesn't care and believes the dissenters suffer from ignorance about the job and thus aren't qualified to judge.

but it was sad to see liebeskind gushing over the thing. It will still change quite a bit though so no need to get too upset over it just yet...

Jul 2, 05 4:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: