Archinect
anchor

Calvino's Invisible Cities

Medit

So I've seen -once again!- Calvino's Invisible Cities making an "appearance" on an architectural event... this time on a temporary landscaping installation in Catalonia, in the city of Girona (not far from Barcelona), by an italian architect (Daniela Colafranceschi):
http://www.detail.de/Archiv/En/HoleArtikel/5362/Artikel

and I've seen Calvino's book appearing every now and then in this forum every time someone asks for a summer book or for your personal must reads... and I'm wondering what's so extraordinary about this book?

I know the easy answer to find out about its charm is "Just read it!" (I've already read "If On A Winter's Night A Traveller" by Calvino, and found it pretty amusing), but I've got so many books and other stuff to read in my list, that I'm wondering if I should really give Calvino's IC any kind of priority... what do you think about it? Is it that special? and where's the magical connection with the arch world?

Jun 26, 05 11:28 am
AP

read the damn book. look carefully at the table of contents and understand the organization. It can be read in a variety of ways, front to back, or by section (the sections are scattered in a very organized way throughout).

It's unlike anything written by Calvino, namely due to the organization. If you are studying architecture, and have been so for more than 2-3 years, you are already behind if you haven't read it.

Jun 26, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Read "Notes for a New Millenium" by Calivno instead

Jun 26, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

why wouldn't you read it? it's hardly a great tome. you could read it in an afternoon.

Jun 26, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
db

Not 'Notes for a New Millenium" INSTEAD, but ALSO

Jun 27, 05 7:35 am  · 
 · 
stainB

Six Memo For The Next Millennium
by Italo Calvino

just finished it a week ago so it's still fresh in my mind
i'd recommend the book

Jun 27, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
g-love

i'll throw in a recommendation for his more literary work as well - 'baron of the trees' is just fantastic. less 'architectural' (whatever that means anymore), but full of fantasy in the very best way.

Jun 27, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: