Archinect
anchor

means to an end

leander

have i fucked up my life!

i work at gensler. i never thought i would be in a corporate firm, but shit happens, and i needed a job.

i desperately want to go back to school, but have to wait at least another year, so i can pay off debt. i keep fantasizing about sciarc, but have no clue if they take someone with such corporate experience.

the point is, i would love to work for a starchitect, but i think a lot of young architects do what i am doing, just to get experience. anyway, just wondering if anyone from sciarc got in with corporate experience (but does not want to pursue a corporate career)?

Jun 25, 05 5:54 pm
peace77

same situation here.

dont want to list my firm but its the same caliber/work as Gensler.
Want to go back bu tI am wary of showing work experience from this job in a portfolio. At least Columbia says they really want to see your last studio projects of undergrad, so maybe that is where their criticism falls....

Jun 25, 05 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
ericMontross

slow down leander. you aren't old enough to have "fucked up" your life.
sciarc takes people from all different types of backgrounds.
i recommend setting up a meeting w/ someone from sciarc . They are very accessable and will let you know what you need to do, if anything, before applying to the school. anyone who wants to get in, can.

Jun 26, 05 2:55 am  · 
 · 
leander

thanks a lot. you know it is so frustrating trying to make it as a young architect.

i moved to socal a couple of years ago, and because of the lifestyle shift (mostly financial) i am doing this for the production/technical experience and simply to afford to live.

i think you are right. i am going through a strange phase in my life now, so i am caught thinking that every decision i make is hyper critical, but at the same time i realize that life is a slow progession, and we all have to start out somewhere.

thanks for the advice, i think i'll try and set up semething with sciarc over the next couple of months. i need to set up a meeting anyway, to decide which program is most appropriate for me.

Jun 26, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Just remember, your idealism will fade and you will realize that the starchitects are something that takes a lot more than careful decision making to achieve (they basically need large reserves of cash to live off of).
You are in a position to balance things. You'll go into grad school with knowledge of the 'real' corporate world - the world driven by numbers. So look at it positively, you will have a unique perspective that you could tap into to learn a balance between design ideals and getting the job done (for 'real'). This, if you are lucky, could help you do well once you get back in the real world.

Good luck.

Jun 27, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ooooh. working for a starchitect would be a great addition to the resume but the pay will be hell as will the hours. so paying off any debts could be really difficult.

Jun 27, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh and you didn't fuck up your life. you're doing fine.

Jun 27, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: