Archinect
anchor

anyone want to start a band?

A Center for Ants?

in the LA area just for fun. we'd have some pithy phrase that was catchy yet unique as a band name. so hipster that hipsters could care less. capitalizing on the indie pop interests but maintaining a steady background of rock influences ranging from led zepplin to the ramones while balancing it with a healthy melodic pop sensibility combined with stage performance that reflects an overarching consciousness of design while never losing sight of what it's really all about. the music.

i'll play bass or guitar but am not limited to such and could venture to keyboards or even other stringed instruments like a banjo. so who's with me?

Jun 22, 05 4:58 pm
mm

Well, I'm in New York but I don't think that should stop us from forming a band.

I think the bicoastal aspect will only give us good press. And the fact that we'd never actually practice would give us good indie cred.

Jun 22, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
adrineaa

i'm in! i can play keyboards and sing, although i've never done so in public and i'm in LA, for now at least.

Jun 22, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

postal service, so named because the two of them collaborated by sending each other recordings. everything was written from a distance.

Jun 22, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

better yet, mm, you could each record separate stuff and then mix it after. kind of an aural exquisite corpse.

Jun 22, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I play drums, I will be in the UK looking to play with people, or Postal Service style.

Jun 22, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

mm, you can't use the name Bicoastal for your band, 'cause that's the name of my band. Of course, we've only written two songs in as many years, but still....

Jun 22, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

wow ... catching me as i leave LA for the East Coast with this wonderful proposition. Well, I play bass guitar and concertina (no shit). I also have music composition software.

My dream band name: the rhythm method

it works on so many different levels. dude.

Jun 22, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

I'd only be in a noisecore band.... we'd call it The Stab List.
Gotta wear funny suits like The Locust too.

Jun 22, 05 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Aaah, I was in a band for may years. Played a beautiful American Sunburst Strat, and had a 30th Anniversary Blue Marshall 100w Stack. We were plagued with band-name frustration - had many names and I think it was the cause of our eventual disintegration - well, that and me leaving for architecture school. The name is everything.

With the current vogue for "the" names, I like the following:
The Flukes
The Extents
The Mission

And also:
Terrible Muriel
Predawnraid
Carpet

Jun 22, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I'm f*ckin' sick on a cow bell...

Jun 22, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Jun 22, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
Jun 22, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

More Cow BEll, Driftwood! More Cow Bell!!!

BTW, I can do a good set of Doors vocals, or Johnny Cash if you need a bass.

Jun 22, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
Jun 22, 05 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Since somebody had a post asking for songs w/ 'Architecture' in 'em, how about this submittal for a band name:

'Archi-Torture'

It might cast us as a metal band, however.

Jun 22, 05 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Dang, Driftwood.

Jun 22, 05 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

That's some hot-ass cowbell...

And then some!

Jun 22, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Changes my perspective of afficionados of the instrument.

Jun 22, 05 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

she looks posessed!

Jun 22, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

Speaking of bands and such.... I just posted documentation of an interactive musical performance to the Rise Industries website - take a listen if you all like. We are also working on some email collaboration remixes.. hope to finish that up next month.

Here look under Current, (public/private performance) for the performance. Look under Music for, well, alot of other music.

Jun 22, 05 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
adrineaa

I am partial to the name Fugitive Dust. It's an EIR term of all things. Gotta love it.

Jun 22, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

how about "Value-Engineered"

Jun 22, 05 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

and since we're posting music we've done...
one song on the album i put out w/ my old band

Jun 22, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Nice feedback intro Centre - you're doing? What did/do you do?

Jun 22, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

my friends and i had a performance art band that has never played a damn thing, we were called Fist Father 5. there were 12 members. we think about getting together to play one gig.

Jun 22, 05 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
"she looks posessed!

She is possessed. Possessed by the power of the cowbell!!

Jun 22, 05 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

visit the cowbell project. all rock songs with cowbells posted.

Jun 22, 05 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Names:
* Cow Bell Cult
* e.i.f.s.
* Archi-Hoes
* pLEASAntvillans
* CADRoom Cowboys
* Dorks on CAD
* Dorks w/ T-Squares*
* Title BlockHeads
* Studio Jerks
* The Revisionists
* Archi-Groupies
* Bruce Goff's Buick
* The DE-Cons(tructivists) Die Bug, DIE!
* Post-Modern Pimps
* Glass House Gawkers
* Corbu's Spectacles

...OK, I'm wierd, I'm tired, I'm going to bed, night ya'll.

Jun 22, 05 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

diabase -

we recorded a few different guitar tracks so we could control it better. (i think it's a bass track, two guitar tracks on heavy overdrive, and one feedback track. pan and fade as necessary. that's the gist of it. compress etc. etc.

Jun 22, 05 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

"Value engineered" is the shit, it's hot.....I'm telling ya that's the name. I got thrown out of the Vernon rehersal studios after my first try out for bass on a three piece Joy Division spin off band. But!!! I spin records all kinds...not limited to anything specific at all. Joy Division and The Brian Jamestown Massacre are big influences for me right now. In fact I decided to take guitar lessons twice a week. Los Abandoned and Mars Volta also have good flavor. A Center for Ants?, drop me a line if you are interested. I'm in some very early stages but willing.

Jun 22, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

And yes I'm the LA area.

Jun 22, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Architect-themed speed metal/grindcore bands:

1. Modulörd
2. Isotropic Plane
3. Palladiorgasm
4. Dymaxion Action
5. Feast of the (Bruce) Mau Mau
6. Ãœberstudio
7. Dubble-damn!!!
8. Stan Allen Cross-Dresser
9. Tschumicide
10. Dröölhaas

Jun 22, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

lol...

Jun 22, 05 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

lol...

Jun 22, 05 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

in Burn Collector, Al Burian has friends that start a metal band named Manpower because they all worked temp jobs for "The Power."

Jun 22, 05 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

+++______________________________ _+880_____________________________ _++88_____________________________ _++88_____________________________ __+880_________________________++_ __+888________________________+88_ __++880______________________+88__ __++888_____+++88__________+++8__ __++8888__+++8880++88____+++88___ __+++8888+++8880++8888__++888____ ___++888++8888+++888888++888_____ ___++88++8888++8888888++888______ ___++++++888888888888888888______ ____++++++88888888888888888______ ____++++++++000888888888888______ _____+++++++000088888888888______ ______+++++++00088888888888______ _______+++++++088888888888_______ _______+++++++088888888888_______ ________+++++++8888888888________ ________+++++++0088888888________ ________++++++0088888888_________ ________+++++0008888888__________

Jun 23, 05 1:55 am  · 
 · 
Crumpets

Our band name from my studio back in the day was going to be....

FLESH PENCIL!!

Jun 23, 05 8:23 am  · 
 · 
mm

I'd be perfectly content with recording long distance. I'd love to follow in the footsteps of the Postal Service. They played last year's US Postal Service annual convention! It doesn't get much cooler than that.

By the way, I should probably be honest here... I don't play any instruments, but I was the singer in an amazing fall-on-the-floor-screaming-post-synth-noise-emo-psych-melodo-core band while in college. We were called The Golden Anniversary, named after the cheap beer that was being served at our first show. We had two songs, practiced only twice and played two shows before breaking up over creative differences. I wanted to take the band in a more pop-driven top 40 sound and the other band members wanted to just yell and break stuff. (Okay, the last part is a lie. We formed in late spring and then summer break came and the following fall we never got back together... but perhaps one day soon we'll have a reunion tour. I figure if MC5 can get back together and tour, why not us? But I won't allow the Golden Anniversary reunion get in the way of the rigorous schedule for our new band's practice, recording, and touring.

Jun 23, 05 9:17 am  · 
 · 
weave

go see the film 'kill your idols'...
it'll give you another perspective before starting a band...

Jun 23, 05 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Ants, that MP3 is awesome. I'd buy your album. Whose your drummer?

Jun 23, 05 11:05 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

band? yeah, i'll start a band. i'll start a band and sell records, and then i'll buy some nice suits and a ham.

Jun 23, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

what's the matter? you want some more?

Jun 23, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

mm-

they played for the US Postal Service? Cause I know there is (was?) a pending lawsuit against the group from the US Postal Service for trademark infringement. Which is sort of rediculous. I mean I know I keep going to the mailbox everytime I want to hear the album but...

snjr -

thanks! always nice to hear. drummer was a kid i went to school with (actually the whole band went to school together) he's pretty good. last i heard he's playing w/ another band in philly now.
another song for you

Jun 23, 05 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Yes, the lawsuit was resolved amicably.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-11/04.shtml

In fact, you can now buy the Postal Service (the band) cds on the US Postal Service (the mail carriers) website.

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productDetail.jsp?OID=4849208

Jun 23, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
JP

Okay we need to get a little more serious about the band names issue..... If you are in design and naming a band, you must consider:

Interstitial Slippage

Techtonic Ambivalence

Spaces In Between

The Didactic Elements

Embryonic Symbiosis

Common help me out with archsy-fartsy lingo....er...band names....

Jun 23, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
JP

I am glad I can fucking proof read.

reboot: come on, help me out with archsy-fartsy lingo....er....band names.....

Jun 23, 05 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

count me in...i can play bass or drums (I don't own a drumset though)

have three bass players...one playing melodic riffs like Peter Hook from New Order, one playing mids, and the other playing sub-bass (or with a synth)....remember Ned's Atomic Dustbin?...they suck they only have two bassists

2 guitarists...one doing melody and one hard strumming like Johnny Ramone.

Banjo is a requirement definitely!

Jun 23, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: