Archinect
anchor

Help with Cincinnati Living

SuperBeatledud

NOOOOOOOO! The irony!

Jul 15, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 

OK, so we have 3 pages her--now THAT killed the thread.

Anyway, still waitiing for my blog to be approved--I wonder how long the process takes?

Jul 16, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Blog

, everyone. Lambic to 7265, please.

Aug 7, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Good job on the blog, but I just noticed something:

5. Didn't your screen name used to be "five", as in, it was actually spelled out "five" and not "5"? How did it change?

Aug 7, 05 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
five

Isn't it an identity? #=number=No. ?

Aug 8, 05 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
five

no, really. administrative privileges. i wanted the number to begin with, and it wouldn't let me, but with the blog i've got some admin abilities, incl. changing my display name.

Aug 8, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I see. Well done, then.

Aug 8, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Ok, I decided to post on this long-sleeping thread instead of making a new one, and I'll see how it goes. Right now I'd say I'm most likely going to go to U Cincinnati, which starts in the summer for me. I've never been to the city, nor do I know anyone who has, so it's hard for me to get an idea of where a good place to live is. Trying google searches isn't really much help either. So let's play a little game of 'match the archinector to the Cincinnati apartment':

I'd be looking for a 2-bedroom apartment close (hopefully within 5 miles?) to U. Cincinnati, but away from areas with lots of loud partying college students. I've definitely had enough of that experience. I'm not really one for the downtown/urban living thing either (but it's not out of the question totally). My significant other and I are quiet people, and we like to live in quiet places. I'd like to live someplace that isn't run-down, with trees and nature-type things, where I can take walks in the evening and not fear for my safety.

I don't mind living in apartments that are a little older or whatnot, but my big thing is having an apartment with lots of natural sunlight (ie, no tiny 2'x2' windows). Is it reasonable to find a 2 bedroom apartment like that in a decent area of town for under $800 a month?

I'll be visiting Cincinnati between now and June, but I was hoping to get some input from people that live there or have lived there recently, so I can get some idea of what to expect. Does anyone live in an apartment that they love, or has heard of a good one, and would recommend? Any tips or thoughts in general?

Moving sucks :(

Mar 25, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Check out WonderK since she is the local welcome wagon for Cincy.

You have 2 obvious options, live around campus or live downtown. Around campus is all students, in shitty dirty apartments, relatively cheap, as low as 300 a room. Close to campus, but not my cup of tea.

Downtown and OTR are other options, and there are safe and nice pockets, you just need to know where to look. Cincinnati in general is a not a safe city (I believe NYTimes rated us like the #5 murder capital this year). But crime tends to be less in the downtown than the campus area (aka things aren't always what they seem).

these two sites are good:
http://www.urbansitesproperties.com/
http://www.medevelopers.com/

I drive to campus every day and I find plenty of street parking within a block away of DAAP, so no need to purchase a parking ticket. You can take the bus too.

I think the 2 bedroom apartment above WonderK's and I's is still available, and at $800 a month for the whole thing fits right in your budget. Its on a beautiful residential street in OTR and its very safe and quiet. The apartment is also GORGEOUS. I'm in London till September, but WonderK and I are holding on to our place for dear life.

Either way, PM her if you want more advice. I'm off to see 300 in a London Imax. Peace!

Mar 25, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

SBD is right! I am the Welcome Wagon. Also I think the place above us is indeed still open. I will check with our landlord.....

BTW, SuperBeatledud and I refer to the apartment I am living in now as "the best/most beautiful apartment we've ever lived in".

Mar 25, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Woo, WonderK to the rescue!

So I should avoid living in Chevriot, Price Hill, Delhi Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, etc? I heard those were fairly safe compared to OTR, in general...but that's based on random internet opinions I found. But I also know that rumor and fear can make things out to be far different than reality. *shrugs*

It might be hard to convince my boyfriend to live downtown, but maybe this beautiful apartment you speak of will help.

Mar 25, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OH Jesus. Do not live in Cheviot, Price Hill, Delhi, or anywhere on the West Side. Mt. Adams is cute but too expensive for what you need. Hyde Park is also cute but kinda far from campus. Clifton and the Ludlow area, Prospect Hill, and the Pendleton area are your best bets for living.

Yes, do not subscribe to the fear mongering. I have lived in OTR for almost 3 years now, and have not had ANY problems (knocking on desk). Also, I am a chick.

Mar 25, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

WonderK,

I'm 30 I don't really want to live in some "safe, knock on wood" type of neighborhood anymore. Aren't there any neighborhoods that are safe and not stodgy? Like in Manhattan and San Francisco (I've been doing my homework on you.)? To sound completely materialistic, I have a nice car I recently purchased and don't want jacked, scratched or seen as an invitation to mugg me. La Vie Boheme ain't for me anymore.

Mar 26, 07 2:46 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Plenty of Audi's, BMW, and the occasional Porche are parked in front of our house on the street. WonderK and I park our cars on the street daily, never had any problems. Car break ins are more common in the nicer parts because....well...poor people don't rob from other poor people, duh.

Don't leave change or valuables out inside your car, that's a rule no matter where you are in the city. You live in Cincinnati, you're going to have to deal with the possibility of crime, no matter where you are.

I've heard of far more muggings, beatings, robberies, car break ins around campus than around OTR. The problem is OTR is a black neighborhood, and, well, the white Burbs don't think to highly of such. Back in 2002, Cincinnati was the 5th most segregated city (don't know what the more recent rankings are, but they probably haven't improved).

Downtown central business district and certain parts of OTR are very attractive and safe, again, refer to WWW (WonderK the Welcome Wagon) for specifics.

Personally, the two of us are down right sick of the bad rap that downtown gets. Sure, you can go live in yuppie parts of the city where visually you'll feel at ease, but I tend to find much of the people that live there to be self-isolated and ignorant of the real fabric of their city.

Get your hands dirty.

Mar 26, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Thanks SuperB,

I'm a Californian and I've lived in New York for six years and I'm just not used such extreme racial hatred. I mean there are definitely racial issues everywhere and plenty of animosity, but for the most part the places I've lived people tend to try thier best to push beyond such things. For the last year in Manhattan I lived across the street from some expansive housing projects which were predominantly black and puerto rican. Couldn't have felt safer. People just don't give much of a crap about the your race. Every month their is a racial incident that makes it into the papers, but really, day to day, it's not that present. I don't know I guess I will have to weigh that when I go look at Cincy. I need to contact WonderK. I'm thinking about coming out there April 9thish.

Mar 27, 07 6:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: