Archinect
anchor

lost in design

swisscardlite

i volunteer at Taliesin West and was given a project to do. The project called for me to design and build a model of the future Taliesin West Visitor Center. The visitor center, which lies right next to Taliesin West, consists of restaurants, cafes, an exhibition space, lecture halls, bookstore, 8 rooms of residence, many spaces for banquets and social gathering, etc.

the environment is arid and the southern sun is very strong during the summer. . .and i figure it has to follow principles of organic architecture and fit with the surrounding landscape.

having no previous architecture education, I don't know really how to start. I have ideas but it's just the process of designing the building that makes it so difficult. Do i start from the inside out? Or outside in? How do you begin designing a structure? How do you go from there? does anyone know much about desert architecture?

or. . what is your design process? thanks!

Jun 20, 05 8:08 pm
vado retro

???? don't they have people at taliesin who have some experience in architectural design???

Jun 20, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

dude, talk to the fellows. we all know how to do this stuff, but it's hard to communicate something as fuzzy as design over the internet...

Jun 20, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

vado retro, i'm just doing it as a learning process. . i doubt they would actually take on my model

Jun 20, 05 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

justin, start with site. orient your building towards the energy efficiency and visual interest if any,select a good location on the given site for the building, while considering topography. get an idea of the size of the building.
look around and find buildings that are oriented certain way and they are pleasant in terms of shades and light. decisions and findings at this stage will effect the shape of the building, type of roof etc., later.
once you are familiar with above start thinking about program of required spaces and adjacencies. start developing the idea of circulation and building plan.
+,
don't jump in and start working on the shell before satisfying above. but, if you have some fantasy finished building picture in your head check it against above and don't be sorry to leave it alone if the dream doesn't fit the reality. you'll have better leads for better pictures.
if you are fast relationship thinker, it doesn't matter if it is inside out or outside in. these ideas can be launched simulteniously and recorded. work with a physical model and plans, sections and elevations.
thats how i was thought..

Jun 20, 05 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

look in the magazines

Jun 21, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

taliesin west is flat and the landscape consists of rocks and cactus. i think the crucial consideration in design is going to be the shading because buildings in arizona must be able to shield itself from the sun to save electricity and keep its inhabitants from burning up!

i probably should think something simple. . .thanks everyone!

Jun 21, 05 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

post it when you have something? we won't be harsh, promise, as we all know know you are junior in h.s. I had a job shadow a few weeks ago, also a h.s. junior, who I had design something, it turned out pretty good. you can do it. don't worry about it too much, It's Just Stuff.

Jun 21, 05 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Medit
does anyone know much about desert architecture?

how about Rick Joy? .. he's got a book called "Desert Works"... they are mainly private homes (and his studio) but he was on the process of designing a bog hotel in the desert or something like that...

or maybe you could adapt some of Glenn Murcutt's design principles for the Australian open and hot prairies for your Arizona building...

Jun 21, 05 9:03 am  · 
 · 
pasha

think of some ideas on how you want to engage existing building.
in terms of aesthetics and function.
the existing building uses land mass as the idea to deal with heat and you might consider doing the same.
then get a bubble diagram to figure out the circulation.
then get those bubbles to squares and rectangles in correct sizes per program requirements.
then start thinking in volumes and keep the idea of structure in the back of your mind.
and throughout the whole process have an idea and a vision of how the space will be perceived and what kind of feelings it will evoke.
basically set some goals for this building.. what should it be for the inhabitants. what should it do.. how should it make them feel as they move around the space..
anyway.. that's my process..

Jun 21, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Why not start by looking around at what you see! Then think about how it makes you feel! Then perhaps start by thinking about a response to What you See and Feel.

Seems simple ehough, eh!

Jun 21, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

justin- note some of the natural sustainable features already incorporated at TW. The long sides of the buildings face north and south, because the angles of east and west light make them harder to control. Northern light can be let in full, southern light should be shaded with bris soliel (sq?), overhangs, awnings, etc. Also notice the use of reflecting pools and fountains- they should be located in the direction the wind most frequently comes from, so that the wind is cooled by the water from the reflecting pool just before it enters the building. Maybe incorporating similar solutions to the desert environment can be something that connects your design to Wright's, regardless of the materials and language used. Additions to significant buildings can often be difficult because of the desire to incorporate your work with the existing building, but still do something individual instead of just copying the language used in the original.

Jun 21, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

hey

i have had the honor of being able to expose myself in Taliesin West many times so i have studied how his buildings respond to its surrounding environment.

rick joy is great. if i attend u of arizona one day, i will try to work for him.

i've come up with a design for the visitor center.

the design of the structure is a broken semi circle with its inner side facing Taliesin West (the structure is south east of Taliesin West). Because the objective of the visitor center is primarily to promote Taliesin West, the building is designed to make Taliesin West the center of attention. The building will extend the practice and will serve as an outlet of organic architecture by providing lecture halls, exhibition halls to help promote ideals of organic architecture. The outer rim of the structure consists of large angular angular concrete shells which serves as a shield and insulator from the sun. The whole structure thus thrives within this "shell" so that the actual building is not directly exposed to the sun. Between the shell and different sections of the building is a water way that runs throughout the building to cool the building down (the water will add beauty)

A central hall runs through out curve of the building. This hall unifies not only different parts of the building together, but also serves as a journey experience for visitors to learn more about wright's legacy. Part of the hall is exhibition space and links with restaurants, cafes, etc.

The desert landscape is also a crucial part of the building. Ther are various sections in which the building "yields" to certain trees and plants to provide a sense of belonging to the environment. I tried to blur the relationship between land and building. Instead of distinguishing the building as a unit, I tried to unify the landscape with the building itself.

Most of the windows face north, facing Taliesin West. the structure within the 'shell' has irregular angular rooftops that block off intense sunlight. These rooftops also provide visual interest to the sky (in which i believe is symbolic of freedom) and provides natural lighting into the structure.

at the center of the structure, there are open spaces for banquets, fundraisers, etc.

Jun 22, 05 2:13 am  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

My response would be to read some Frank Lloyd Wright books, some pictures, some text. Definitely some ones not about Taliesin west. (has anyone ever seen a book of FLW's worst architecture? this would be a good one to look at; it's important not to get tripped up on any of the many iconic forms available, so look at his worst buildings.) After acquainting yourself with the basic principals of this architecture you're going to building next to, I would, in the spirit of the man himself, throw all that stuff away and go for a hike in the desert. Don't take any pictures, but maybe write down your impressions and keep images in your head. Then, while trying to design it; vaguely fondle those two ideas about the desert and FLW in your head at the same time, giving more primacy to revelations about architecture you will have had in the desert.

Then while you're at it, try to figure out a way to keep the Wright foundation from going under. That would be sweet.

Jun 22, 05 2:34 am  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

ah! sorry. I got too excited and posted before I saw you had already solved the problems. Maybe next time.

Jun 22, 05 2:37 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

hey miesvanderice, that's a really great idea. . the plan is only temporary. . i can always change it when 'im building the model. . after all. . . .it's only a model

Jun 22, 05 2:49 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

justin where are they going to put that? there isn't much space left at
t west.

Jun 22, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i'm not sure where exactly but it is located southeast of the entire campus. the actual campus itself is very tight but there are a lot of lands around the area. . .i don't think the visitor center will be very close to the actual campus itself

Jun 22, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
taliesin west from the air

Jun 22, 05 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
by satellite
Jun 22, 05 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: