Archinect
anchor

Gehry vs. Thom Mayne on Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

A Center for Ants?

anyone see the movie? i did.

the construction site scene where the elevator is dropped into oblivion... that was the CalTrans Building right?

Wonder if Brad had anything to do with that. Is Gehry upset? Is Brad thinking of a lucrative offer of a designer position with Morphosis? Is a fresh, hot off the press Pritzker the lure????

oh. and angelina jolie is hot.

Jun 20, 05 3:34 pm
abracadabra

i saw the pictorial in "W" magazine tina gets. it would make jim jarmush puke..brad agrees..

Jun 20, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
leander

ok. that is a montage of 2 buildings.

morphosis. caltrans, and something i am unfamiliar with. Just some standard crappy office.

anyway-
THAT MOVIE WAS TERRIBLE!

Jul 3, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

i haven't seen the movie, but this segues nicely in to a related question: do you think that morphosis is the most pop-cultural contemporary firm right now? on the lines of this thread, diamond ranch/the cell-mcdonalds commercials, etc. it seems that morph's buildings are featured in a lot of movies and commercials, often in fairly subliminal ways.

Jul 3, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
savvy

The exterior shots were of Caltrans. Don't know about the elevator scene.

Jul 3, 05 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

When Thom gets on The Simpsons, then maybe you might consider it 'the most pop-cultural contemporary firm right now'. Until then-

Jul 3, 05 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

I'm sure Brad Pitt didn't choose the location for filming of the movie. As far as I understand it, he is interested in architecture in general, and not just the Frank Gehry variety. I think it would be pretty sad if Frank Gehry would take offence just because Brad Pitt was filmed in another architects building.

Jul 3, 05 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

appleseed: good point, and gehry's work is used a decent bit in mass media as well. maybe a little less because its too distinct and might distract from whatever else is going on in the scene. but yeah, you're right, if you guest star on the simpsons, then you've arrived at pop culture for sure.

Jul 4, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
Medit

apparently Brad's top three include (in order):
1. Gehry
2. Koolhaas
3. MVRDV

though Metropolis puts MVRDV on top...

greg.org/archive/2002/10/22/how_to_tell_me_and_brad_pitt_apart.html

Jul 4, 05 5:25 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

oh i thought this thread was like gehry vs. thom in a celebrity deathmatch type o thing, in which case gehry would kik thoms ass by first blinding him with the glare & reflection of the music hall...................

Jul 4, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: