Archinect
anchor

M.Arch with program in green design and social housing

zuta

I am looking for grad school in USA and Canada with good program in green design, new materials and social housing. Please, help. Thanks.

Jun 20, 05 10:17 am
WonderK

Good luck. Was looking for such a program myself but decided to get LEED accredited first and wait a couple of years, as I couldn't really find anything suitable.

I heard that U. of Oregon had a good program, the campus in Eugene maybe? Otherwise I was thinking I might need to go to a school with a flexible degree program and fix my coursework to match my goals.

Jun 20, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 

university of virginia is where wm. mcdonough was dean. he is the green dude if you are into that sort of thing, though i am not certain what his position is there now. sounds a bit like he has moved on but is keeping some sort of connection...

social housing is i think something you would do on your own initiative...

Jun 20, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
bobross

I went to Minnesota for Undergrad 7 years ago and I found the program (and the state) to be quite progressive in terms of sustainable and/or geen idology in design and materail experimentation. From what I read in the Alumni newsletters this trend continues. Also, I found that there was a strong discussion about the soical responisbility of designers in each scale.

It was friggin cold in the winter but otherwise quite a nice city

http://www.cala.umn.edu/

Jun 20, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sammy Boy

You should check out Dalhousie in Nova Scotia, Canada. They offer exactly what your after.

Jun 20, 05 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I'm not sure a good green program exists, but I'm interested in that as well. What I've been doing is working with a green builder and keeping up-to-date with all the topics in relation (i.e. brownfields, permaculture, etc. and attending local workshops where green designers talk about case studies...and literally the latest and most innovative things they've done with green design. surprisingly, I'm usually the youngest in the room, with a solid 10 year gap between me and everyone else. I honestly believe that green design is quite young and really isn't part of architectual discourse on a mainstream level. All the most informative stuff is around you, so just keep your eyes open.

Programs to look at : McGill, University of Washington (check out Yamani's blog), Auburn's rural studio, Cal Poly...
a great thing to do is check out the courses online and ask for a syllabus and reading list from the instructor. It puts things in perspective really easy(and cheap).

Jun 20, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Shellaby

Random sporadic Aquarian here....

Jun 20, 05 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Shellaby

Woops. Wrong forum topic. Wish I could delete.

Jun 20, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: