Archinect
anchor

Yet another music discussion ...

Josh Emig

Have you ever had one of those stretches where nothing sounds quite right? I have eclectic taste. I've been listening to Devendra Banhart, Explosions in the Sky, new Beck, new Gorillaz, M.I.A., Gogol Bordello, Bloc Party ... but nothing seems to satisfy. I'm looking for something kind of urban and dancy, yet sort of edgy ... I don't know.

What's goin' on?

Jun 15, 05 2:45 pm
stephanie

i bust out the old MC5 and Gang of 4 records.

Jun 15, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I recently saw an ad that MC5 are touring again... Kicking out the Jams from retirement? weird.

Jun 15, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

yeah, about a year ago i caught a DKT/MC5 show...evan dando and mark arm were along for the ride...it was interesting.

Jun 15, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
morningbell1101

my new favorite dancey band is les sans culottes. faux-french 60s yeye rock from brooklyn = always fun.

if not, [b]the faint</b>'s 'danse macabre' and 'blank wave arcade' are always a good ones to dust off and dance to.

Jun 15, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

joseph arthur's new one is interesting.

Jun 15, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

when all else fails, I go to Saul Williams lately.

Jun 15, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i default to classical when everything just isn't good anymore. try to get away from anything pop-ish.

but i know what you mean public. sometimes nothing sounds good and nothing satisfies. it's MTV's fault. and mp3s. too much instant gratification and no satiation.

Jun 15, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

definitely not urban, and maybe not even very dancy, but the new album by the fall, called 'the new fall lp', i think, takes a while to get used to > i.e., hard to get bored with it.

i've been completely sucked in. it's in fairly constant rotation in my car now, up against joseph arthur and beck.

Jun 15, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

From your description...... you should try,, Bright Eyes’s Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. I’m hook on that lately

a good chill out record,
Bonnie "Prince Billy new album Superwolf

Explosions in the Sky- good stuff

Jun 15, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

Yeah, new Gorillaz rocks...also Common's new one is pretty groovy. kind of Marvin Gaye-esque

Jun 15, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

not Urban or dancey but still rockin': Get Behind Me Satan (White Stripes)

Jun 15, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

"Anniemal" by Annie. Total Human League-inspired Norwegian pop. there is even a song on it about chewing gum called "Chewing Gum."

The new LCD Soundsystem album is kinda fun.

Shining's "In The Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster." Norwegian punk jazz in the John Zorn vein.

Madvillain/Viktor Vaughn/King Geedorah albums. I am a huge fan of KG's "Take Me To Your Leader". I love any hip hop tunes that not only sample songs from Godzilla movies, but are about Godzilla movies as well.

"One A.M." by Diverse.

"One Word Extinguisher" by Prefuse 73.

"Tomorrow Here Now" by Beans.

Jun 15, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i <3 annie

Jun 15, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Doug Johnston

maybe try the Faint also

Jun 15, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

rock em back sonic!!!

Jun 15, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

smokety mc smoke knows hiw stuff. Annie is great great great. Prefuse 73=classic. Never gets old. I'm also digging Mouse on Mars Radical Connector. "Send me Shivers" and "The End" are hot. The Arcade Fire really stuck with me too.

Jun 15, 05 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

bach is the shit

Jun 15, 05 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

When nothing else is going well Ike Reilly always works. When I'm giddy gleeful happy Ike Reilly always works. When I have to pound out a set of drawings and can't look up from my computer for hours at a time, yep, Ike Reilly works.

Jun 15, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

javier if you like prefuse 73 and mouse on mars, try luke vibert, dabrye, red snapper. that stuff is right up my alley.

Jun 16, 05 12:23 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Gang Gang Dance

Hot Chip

Superaquello

Hood

Jun 16, 05 3:11 am  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

va - the soul of angola (anthologie de la musique angolaise 1965/1975)
and i'll second the king geedorah disc.

Jun 16, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i've had those stretches. I always go for the Ramones, Misfits, or The Cure to get me out of those.

Jun 16, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Thanks for the tips.

In the end, I picked up The Arcade Fire, "Funeral", which is just beautiful, and Norma Jean, "O God, The Aftermath," which nobody recommended but is heavy as f--k and kicks ass, if anybody else is into that.

Jun 17, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
sol?

Smokety does know his...basically my playlist right now.

I definitely have moments where I need a little reprieve, but you cannot go wrong with Beans...Blind Driver and Shards of Glass (on Shock City Maverick) are no joke.

DFA 1979 can pull anyone out of a rut. Futureheads = fun. The new Edan is serious.

Jun 17, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

King Giddra > King Geedorah

Jun 17, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
slacker_aesthetic

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks- Face the Truth
Vitalic- OK Cowboy
Common- Be

Jun 17, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

The Black Dahlia Murder has the ability to get me up and dancing, but I don't think thats what you're looking for.

Jun 17, 05 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

Public:
OK, just saw that you picked up Norma Jean. In that case I do have more recommendations for you in that vein. Some of them are no brainers, but I don't know what you have in your current collection...

The Black Dahlia Murder (as mentioned above)
All That Remains (vocalist was in Perpetual Doom/Shadows Fall back in the day)
The Acacia Strain (I know a bunch of people in this band, they're from my city - all nice guys)
Atreyu
The Blood Brothers
Converge (the old stuff that was just re-released on Equal Vision)
Daughters
Dillinger Escape Plan
Fear Before the March of Flames
Lamb of God
The Locust
Melt Bannana
Meshuggah
Cattle Decapitation
Remembering Never
Poison the Well
Silent Drive (highly recommend them - they're amazing)
Small Brown Bike
Texas is on Fire
Unearth
Wolf Eyes

Jun 17, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
neill

public- Although I haven't heard any of Norma Jean's newer album to you I'd recommend Botch.

pixelwhore- I haven't heard the re-released versions of Converge's stuff. Are they worth a hoot? I've sort of refused to listen/buy them because I liked the grit and mush of the originals.

Jun 17, 05 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

Good for you... watch out, the Arcade Fire album is positively addictive. if you want something dancy, I always turn to Shakedown's At Night song when I need a fix. Uhmm... out of Pixelwhore's list, all I can pick out is Melt Banana. Good stuff.

Jun 18, 05 3:06 am  · 
 · 

neill: I was just recommending the older Converge instead of the new stuff like Jane Doe. I haven't had the chance to listen to the re-releases because my copies are all of the originals and I don't see a point in replacing them.

Jun 18, 05 6:11 am  · 
 · 
biomec

Meshuggah.....hehehehe

i have been slightly "skitzoh" lately and the variances in mindless self indulgence-frankenstien girls will seem strangly sexy- has been doing it for me. aka providing me with the sound to accompany me in my fall
although i dont expect anyone to enjoy this crap...
does anyone else enjoy this crap?

Jun 18, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: