Archinect
anchor

let's raise our glasses

so i'm headed home today for my younger sister's wedding. i will be giving a toast at the rehearsal dinner, to her, her future husband and whoever the hell else i feel like mentioning.. any professional toasters out there have some words of wisdom they would like to pass on?

Jun 15, 05 10:39 am
Luis Fraguada

Always start with this:

"You know foiks, it seems like just yesterday we were . . . "

Throw in a few:

"But seriously folks . . ."

And end with:

"To the bride and groom!"

Jun 15, 05 10:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

She's your younger sister, any embarassing stories about her as a child, especially related to sex? Like did she ever use a funny term for "penis", or enjoy playing naked in the sandbox, the kind of things a husband might get a kick out of about his virginal wife?

Jun 15, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
momentum

watch the wedding singer. be steve buschemi.

Jun 15, 05 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i agree with j 100% - don't be stupid about it! Be sweet and complementary, it's the only way to go.

Jun 15, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

just make it personal and heartfelt, Ether. Do prepare though and don't read your toast...and be sure not to do this:

http://www.theperfecttoast.com/

you can choose "personalized toast writing service" or for the cheapskate; "semi-personalized toast writing service". ewww.

Jun 15, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, OK, you guys are right, don't try to embarrass your little sis. But this IS the Rehearsal Dinner, after all, not the wedding itself, which means it's only family and very close friends, not dad's boss and everyone's extended relations. It can be a little relaxed.

But you should still plan to short-sheet the bed of the wedding suite after the reception. It shows you care.

Jun 15, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Just don't cry like my brother-in-law did...no respect. My toast to everyone else was simple to the point and slightly numerous but mostly honest and appreciative. ( I'm not very good at speeches so I was nervous but being to the point is a good strategy )

Jun 15, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

speechless in shady oaks,
this marriage speaks for itself..

Jun 15, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
link
Jun 15, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

forget talking..how about a powerpoint presentation...it'll help when your drunk off your rocker.

Jun 15, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i will be giving one of these toasts this summer and i am so glad that the idea of using powerpoint has been inserted to my mind.

Jun 15, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just tweek the "once more into the breach" speech.

Jun 15, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
mm

1. Be sure to mention that this is NOT a shutgun wedding, at least 3 times.

2. Visual aids are useful. Charts, graphs, that sort of thing. I like transparencies better than powerpoint myself. Or perhaps the old school slide projector would work, too.

3. If you can break dance, be sure to work it into the toast. Human beat boxing is also a great way to break it down during the toast.

4. Make the toast all about you.

5. End with a double back handspring into the full tuck- double twist somerault. Be sure to stick the landing and smile wide.

Jun 16, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
ether

thanks folks. i'm on in a few hours. time to drink up and rehearse.

Jun 17, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: