Archinect
anchor

Study Abroad Programs - M. Arch

marlowe

Anyone know of any M. Arch programs where the majority of the classwork and time spent is overseas?? I really want to study in Europe or South America for grad school but I want to take classes through a US university to make the NCARB certification profess easier....Any thoughts??

Jun 15, 05 9:30 am
AP

marlowe,

Look into the University of Florida. They offer a full semester program to Vicenza, Italy (in the past, graduate students have attended back to back semesters, so this is an option). Also, there are a variety of Summer design studios, all ran by the UF School of Architecture. I attended the Hong Kong / China program as an undergrad, and there is also a studio in Mexico and a potential future program in Chandigar.

Take a look at the University of Florida School of Architecture blog on this site. I have posted some images from the HK and Vicenza programs.

If you wanted to, it is possible to spend most of a 2 year M.Arch (if your undergrad is in architecture). If you have a non-arch background, the M.Arch program is longer, but a good portion can still be spent abroad.

Hope that helps, you can look at the UF Arch website too,

www.dcp.ufl.edu/arch

Jun 15, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
miro.m

Chandigar?!?!!

P.S. whats up aaron?!

Jun 19, 05 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
miro.m

marlowe... listen to aaron he speaks the truth.

I too will be going to Vicenza, Italy come this fall... and am so siked!!! Plus you won't be staying only in Vicenza, you will get the opportunity to travel all over Europe, and Italy.

Great, great program.

Jun 19, 05 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Toby

Almost every Arch, program has a study abroad program. Most of them are located in Italy. I guess the cheaper living (cheaper than the rest of Europe) has its word too. If you are located in Northern Italy (Vicenza) it is very easy to get to the rest of Europe.

Jun 22, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Hum4n

Syracuse U

Jun 22, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
AP

one difference with UF (and few other institutions) is that we have 3 study abroad programs (and another travel studio in Nantucket) that are directed / maintained exclusively by our college, and are attended by only UF students. SO, they are unique opportunities not available to students outside the College.

Jun 22, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 
AP
http://www.dcp.ufl.edu/arch/main/resources_global.htm

check out that link, it will show you the UF School of Architecture's international opportunities...

Jun 22, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
AP
http://www.dcp.ufl.edu/arch/main/special-programs_programs.htm

that will take you to a description of the four main travel programs at UF...

Jun 22, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Toby

UF has about a million study aboad programs, as any other school. Any major can take a cass in any country. MOst of the classes however are history, language, culture or architecture related. SO, if you are not an architecture major you will not be able to take the study aboad program of the Architecture school due to the fact that they teach design and Architecture related courses there!
No school will just offer you an entire Graduate school study abroad. Most of the classes in most programs are not taught aboad due to many limitations. And I am not quite sure you can afford it. Most of the people who go on a semester study abroad end up spending around $15,000!
Some programs however offer to live whith families while abroad. THat is a MOJOR plus-since you can fully understand the culture and the language that way!

Jun 22, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: