Archinect
anchor

Outsider Art & Architecture

johndevlin

am I the only person who is given the creeps by Outsider Art and Outsider Architecture (e.g. A.G. Rizzoli)? Is it only really appreciated by jaded New York aesthetes? It seems nightmarish to me. See
http://www.rawvision.com/

Jun 12, 05 8:55 pm
driftwood

I'm not at all well versed with the foundations of it all, but I'm okay--and even really like--Outsider Art.

For example, I love the scultpures typically associated with Outsider Art--especially those examples illustrated in your link. Though I'd agree that it is kinda creepy. In many ways, it's psuedo-replication and conglomeration of styles that are obviously very strongly linked to 'traditional' art forms and symbols of native peoples from around the world, is... Well, poopy. Almost post-modern in a way.

I think what I like about it, is that it's so familiar. I remember my friends and I producing much the same style of art in high school... The patterns, the way things are composed, it's all so basic and rudimentary in a way. But, I've got a great deal of personal interest in the familiar and comfortable.

As far as the architecture goes, Rizzoli's work is all that I'm familiar with off the top of my head. And I'm not a fan at all.

Jun 12, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie
This guy is a bit odd too...
Jun 13, 05 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: