Archinect
anchor

tips on vintage furniture

hckybg

i have a mostly furnished apartment but have always had a big interest in mid-century modern furniture and particularly chairs. so, i am always interested in what i can find. the new stuff is fine, and sometimes a good deal, but i'm just curious what luck people have had finding old Eames, Knoll, Saarinen stuff, etc. at good prices. I am less interested in going to an antique store and paying 300 for a chair than going to a random yard sale and finding an Eames chair for 10 dollars or something. Do people go to yard sales/estate sales/flea markets/auctions/ebay/antique stores or other places that I dont know about and find good deals? share your stories; I would appreciate it. and if you happen to know the DC area and any places I should try let me know. thanks.

May 25, 05 2:16 pm
hckybg

and if any of you have a nelson tray table, hardoy chair, or eames rar rocker you want to sell let me know :)

May 25, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i've found a LOT of eames knockoffs... take good pictures of a authorized replica in a store and then bring that to compare. I've found wassily chairs that were bolted together with these giant bolts rather than welded that looked ugly. Also found those eames knock-offs. Also found authentics eames plywood chairs but were in really bad condition. Oh well. I continue the search like you...

flea markets are good. but it's first come first serve and you never know what's there in the first place. You might want to try estate sales.

May 25, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Back in '94, I found stacks and stacks of Eames knockoff lilypad chairs that were going for $10 ea at an architectural salvage place in Minneapolis. Black padded back and seat, bent plywood legs and back support. They were from an old cafeteria that had closed.

This place had both stackable (cutouts at the back of the seat) and not. Being poor at the time, I only bought three of the not-stackable type. (I thought the shape of the full seat was more beautiful than the one with the cutouts.)

I've still got them and I'm sitting in one right now. Wish I had more. Damn poverty.

May 25, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: