Archinect
anchor

Archinect and Depression...

lessisdefmore

Every so often I come to archinect for work updates, inspiration and a dose of architecture and design. After opening 20+ tabs on forum threads I usually find myself depressed and re-thinking a career in architecture. I am the most optimistic person you will ever meet but reading real life stories about unemployed but overqualified architects can make a recent Design gradute depressed. Am I alone? Please tell me I'm not.

Sep 7, 11 12:06 am
comb

You're not.

Sep 7, 11 12:35 am  · 
 · 
junior

no, you aren't alone. I too am very optimistic and it is disheartening to read others' posted circumstances; and even though our profession has gone for broke, i think it is catalyzing a swifter trend for persons in architecture, especially those recent graduates to think less about 'working for the man' and think more about finding avenues/niches within the architecture that enable them to strike out on their own quicker. It's times like these that make people more creative, i think. Don't give up; we can't afford to lose this emerging generation--i mean we were raised by those who put us in this recession anyway. We now have an obligation to set a fresher, more sustainable career solution for the future generations. 

pardon the rhetoric.  i've watched too many movies with the underdogs eventually winning, i guess...

Sep 7, 11 12:35 am  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

Something that my mentor has recently told me completely changed my outlook on my career as an architect. I too was feeling down and out about being an emerging architect in a field that has shown little hope for many. But after reaching out to him and asking for some guidance, he basically told me this:

Architecture isn't generally a profitable profession. It's not meant to be glamorous; starchitects are 1 in a billion. What architecture can be, however, is a state of mind. Although the state of the profession is bleak, one can find other means of satiating their lust for creativity. Read everything you weren't able to but wanted to during school. Engage and engulf yourself with the design community (forums, blogs, etc etc). Find ways to inspire yourself to create. Basically do whatever it takes to make yourself feel proud and understand that enduring a degree in architecture is something truly unique. 

On the flip side. Yes, I would say the majority of architects coming out of school are struggling to find work. There can't be jobs for the built environment when that built environment isn't able to be built due to lack of economical resources. 

One thing to consider is that a degree in architecture offers more than the credentials to being a career as an architect. I'm sure as most will contest, B.Arch's and M.Arch's are ALL qualified Graphic Designers. Graphic Design is booming, as more and more companies enter the virtual arena. So many websites are popping up, and the key to their success is their branding and appearance. One thing to consider for struggling architects is to look into that field. Start designing, building a portfolio and see if that niche is able to suit your needs; both financially as well as creatively. 

Lastly, remember that the competition for architecture position is determined greatly by your ability to articulate designs through multiple software. Make sure you are accustomed to, and have an acquired skillset, the more widely used software programs: AutoCAD, Revit, Sketchup, Rhino, 3DsMAX, etc. 

So to answer your question: You are not alone! 

Sep 7, 11 1:38 am  · 
 · 

move to china, where there's a whole different set of things to get depressed about!

Sep 7, 11 3:29 am  · 
 · 
outthere

Your not alone... I see many posts of architects comparing themselves to Lawyers and Doctors... I mean a Doctor ..Really?!?  Then they think they should be compensated as such.  Its like there own ego's is what making them angry or depressed.

This is not to say that what we do isn't valuable.  It is.  At times I do see my self acting almost as a lawyer reading through the building code, producing a legally binding set of CD's and Specs.  But the difference is, is that the Law profession was built on money, ours was not.  Ours was built on a creative desire and not a financial one.

Architecture is a challenging career ..If someone isn't up for a good challenge than I can't see that person doing well in this profession.  Frankly there are to many people who dont have this mind set and then they complain about it.

Over the last 5 years I have seen the best and worst side of this profession and overall I think im pretty satisfied.

Sep 7, 11 3:45 am  · 
 · 

If you're looking for a stable career I'd suggest repo man or a civil service job like police. Both are in high demand and going to be much more so in the near future.

Sep 7, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Don't forget: Archinect is not necessarily a random sample of people representing a wide range of views of the field, though clearly there's a variety of people here.  My hunch is that "membership" or active participation here probably skews toward the cranky or critical.  This is not a dig on peoples' posts here, only a perception based on my own sense from reading here, and the general tendency of people in these kinds of anonymous online fora to grumble more often than praise.

Bottom line: get input on the field from many places and people, not just one. 

Sep 7, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

junior, that's an excellent post.  Traditional practice is on the wane and new ways of doing creative work are blooming.

And I agree with citizen that Archinect tends to be a place where we can all engage in recreational bitching - it's fun and cathartic to complain to a sympathetic audience.

Hang in there lessisdefmore and remember that you have a lot of time to try a lot of different things on this path!

Sep 7, 11 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Well now.... I would say that yes it is depressing, but remember, discontent for the present is the first step toward real progress.  The problem is that the profession is at a crossroad right now like many other industries.  Depression is not the answer, however it may be the first step toward really rethinking how we should be doing things.  The 21st century will be a revolutionary period in history just keep that in the back of your mind, and try to figure out how we can fit in to this period. 

Sep 7, 11 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Archinect has always been kind of  a depressing experience for new comers even when things weren't so bad. 

Sep 7, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

citizen - I agree - anonymity makes it easier to vent frustrations - especially since architecture is a small community and there is a real threat of repercussion for directed criticism.  archinect is one of the few places you can come to have a voice - so  attitudes here tend to skew negative, but I think it's mostly just people who are having a tough time and need support or a form of catharsis through the act of writing.  very few people are going to post anonymously online about how great things are going.  that's what facebook is for.

Sep 7, 11 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

...and that grumpy old white guy on the ad at the top of the page sure isn't helping to lighten the mood! ;-)

Sep 7, 11 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

This thread is so meta.

Sep 7, 11 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

although archinect has rarely made me anything but pleased to be able to share thoughts with others who understand the unique experience of being a strange person who loves to see tangible objects transformed into living spaces, i do know what you mean.  (I guess personally I find even the venting to be, for the most part, refreshing - because I used to vent to my significant other and archinect provides a safety valve for my architecture/human relationships!)  BUT I do want to say that honestly - the entire world is filled with highly depressing stuff lately.  I've been battling these same feelings - and I am NOT a recent grad AND I have a job.  But all the other industries are struggling too.  No one I know is not struggling right now, except this one guy who is fabulously independently wealthy.  So don't read too much into our whining.  Architecture is in a rough place, there's no denying it - but let's make that a catalyst for improvement, and also be sensitive to the fact that we're not the only ones struggling.

Sep 7, 11 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

To be successful, you must be the type of person that does what it takes - not what is comfortable e.g., think like a SEAL they have a 70% washout rate, and so does architecture - don't kid yourself - the difference is we build it, and they blow it up.

I studied architecture in San Diego, and would take 12 mile runs out on the strand where the SEALS trained and would adopt their do what it take irregardless philosophy. One of my classmates was a Navy Seabee architect whose husband really was a SEAL - She would pull 4 days straight in studio - then go for a run to get amped up to face the jury. 

know many who tried to just get by and they joined the long term unemployed, hoping that Obama will come to their rescue again - This time, it's just not going to happen - Boehner calls the shots now ,and heaven help them if the republicans win in 2012 - It just is not worth it - comfort is the road to ruin - so always do what it takes - take your future in your own hands.

Sep 7, 11 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
junior

@Donna, what have your experiences been since getting out into the design world? Any insights?

@SUVERK, you're spot on in my book; your last sentiment couldn't have been heard any louder: take your future in your own hands. hear hear. 

But understand this, the majority of this coming-of-age generation, of which i am a part, has been raised within an environment of super nourishment, and everybody's a winner. it has been difficult to be competitive, at least for others, as a result of that fact. many have not had to put forth much effort toward a challenge, already knowing well in advance that by even showing up to something they get a 'certificate of appreciation'. beneficially though, it was very very common for this generation to pack on loads upon loads of those extra-curricular activities while in school; and by now, I would think that with that kind of multi-tasked orientation, it would only be a matter of time until this profession had a revolution, but alas many lack the self-confidence to compete in a world where it's every man for himself. I took much refuge in reading 'The Fountainhead' for this very topic. Though fictional, Roark's a hero.

Sep 8, 11 12:26 am  · 
 · 
junior

or maybe the every-man-for-himself attitude is all wrong and outdated now. perhaps it is all about the teamwork and collaboration we need to get adapted to in order to sustain and stimulate ourselves in architecture...

Sep 8, 11 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Ryan002

Where Ayn Rand gets it wrong is assuming that  I seek a better tomorrow. I don't; what I seek is a tomorrow that's like today, and for today to be like yesterday.

It's all well and good to say we should take our future into our hands...but all too often, that gets mistranslated into "we should try to make things better". Optimism and profundity don't mix. Things will never get better. All we can do is try to make sure they don't get worse. 

Sep 8, 11 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

Architecture is full of optimism.  It is dreaming and creation...and sometimes (albeit somewhat rarely) even the physical fulfillment of those dreams.

Now, just imagine if you had this guy's job watching dreams die.  That would be depressing, yo!

Sep 9, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

The "take your future in your own hands" mentality is fine when you have a stable economy and business environment.  I could go on with my philosophies on the world and the pervasive slacker/do-the-minimal attitudes out there, but I'll spare ya...

More or less, I agree 100%.  BUT in today's world things are not so simple, nor is anything as basic as black/white.  Politics seem to be painting this unfortunate picture (as in promoting Rand) that is just not 'real'.

In today's world, I know several people that just haven't had good luck.  Some where successful business owners and their clients simply couldn't get financing (or worse, banks sold the note, then that bank sold the note, then that person lost everything).  No, there are just too many uncertainties and variables out there to just shout "persevere you slack ass!".  That mentality, at least from my point of view, is most often spoken by either the naive young or those that are well off regardless.

Sep 9, 11 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

you can tell people to take their future into their own hands, and it's good advice.  loads of immigrants do this every day...come here with not much, expect even less, and do what it takes to make it happen.  there is a difference though, between those who take that upon themselves and those who have played by the societal rules for a long time, made investments, did everything 'right', so to speak, and then are left high and dry when the system basically collapses around them.  that is tragic, and i'd say they have a right to be monumentally pissed off.  i waited tables my whole student life, and was good at it.  i made good money, paid my own way, and got two great degrees.  would i be ok with having to go back to waiting tables now?  hell, no! i'd be on here, whining my head off...:)

Sep 9, 11 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I hear you elinor!!!

Sep 9, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

venting is healthy.  see attached articles from weekly AIA e-news letter.  in three years, employment in architecture dropped from over 240,000 to about 150,000.  of those still employed, in many cases salaries and/or benefits were cut significantly and there are no indications of a strong turn-around anytime in the foreseeable future.  if venting on here helps, great.  if anything, i'm surprised there are not more people venting and that it isn't more negative --- i think the fact that it is not is a testament to the strength, resiliency and optimism architects display.

http://www.aia.org/practicing/AIAB090533

http://www.aia.org/practicing/AIAB090594

Sep 10, 11 8:19 am  · 
 · 
trace™

or they can't afford their internet bills and can't get to Archinect to bitch!    ;-D

Sep 10, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I think it's best if we be like Howard Roark  and just do what it takes irregardless - watched fountainhead every week for the 4 years I studied architecture, and one weekends I would run at the strand and watch the SEALS to absorb their do what it takes approach. Friends of mine that were in architecture until the downturn of '91 warned that I would have to get tough or die("don't worry, your time will come") when hard times struck and strike they did. If it had not been for my self training, I would have quit 3 months after getting laid off from SOM after the bottom fell out in 11/08, the month of doom. It took 12 months before I got another job, I woke up at 0400 hrs, ran, worked out took  classes at AIA-SF, networked, worked for free, freelanced, redid my thesis project as a away to have a total in depth knowledge of Revit, and to bring my portfolio up to date. All of this in the face of discouragement  from naysayers - "give up before your hurt yourself" , " I know architects, and you are no architect Ha Ha Ha" " or maybe you can be an astronaut"  During that one year, I lost all of my so called friends who were trying to save me from "the worst mistake in my life" 

"Don't let those who gave up on their dreams, discourage you from yours"

Sep 10, 11 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQlzz6jGCfI

Sep 10, 11 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

jmanganelli,

I found that compensation chart on the link really hard to believe.  I am going to look into it!

Sep 12, 11 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
cookies

Hi, I'm a Graphic Designer, with a Bachelor's degree in Communication Design, working at an architecture firm - and I'd like to lodge my disagreement that "every architect is a graphic designer". 

It's the scourge of my profession that everyone thinks they're a graphic designer just because they know the right Adobe programs. Yet many, many of them (judging by a lot of the work I see out there) have NO clue whatsoever about typography (which is an entire university degree unto itself), layout, heirarchy, color, or information flow, never mind medium-specific techniques and materials, illustration skills or the presence of both a personal voice and a keen understanding of communication methods and trends, marketing and business basics.

Architects may make an easier transition to the world of graphic design than most, because of the ability to problem-solve and a rigorous design process. Sure, many people CAN "do" graphic design, but definitely, not all of them ARE graphic designers.  It takes more than just slick skills; it takes an active interest in the discourse surrounding the challenges, concerns and new ideas involved in building the world of information we live in.

At least in my opinion.

Sep 12, 11 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

cookies - When I was a graphic design student, one of my best professors was from architecture - and his approach learned in Switzerland was very rigorous - heavy into grid systems and diagrams. When I was studying architecture many years later, I used the diagrammatic processes I learned from graphic design to drive architecture design and would use these processes in Revit. Architecture informs graphic design informs architecture - see BIG.dk to see an example of what I am talking about.

I

Sep 12, 11 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
cookies

Woah, sweet site!  Thanks for that.

I love it when disciplines inform each other - especially any time art and science mix. Of course, we all know everything influences everything else, that's the only way we progress as a species - collectively. When i create designs the first place I look is at anything else but other design work! Science, nature, art, etc. In fact, my grad project recently was on the subject of the ways in which people experience a built city - using subjective experiential data to map a city. it's in these ways that Graphic or, Communication Design can be so important - any time there's information or an idea to communicate, that's what we do. Honor the content.

Which is why it ruffles my feathers when I have to constantly defend the value of what I do against a sea of clients who just want everything to look "sexy"  or tell me to "just slap Helvetica on it" and a plethora of emaciated teenagers in their basements with a pirated copy of Photoshop copy and pasting for $15/hr. 

//endrant

Just to go back to the original post, I agree wholeheartedly with junior:

"We now have an obligation to set a fresher, more sustainable career solution for the future generations."

This is true for all of us in this new generation - we're caught in a limbo and we know it - the existing systems (education, e.g) are failing us, but there is no new infrastructure to take its place yet. So we are in the challenging/rewarding position where many of us, across a lot of professions, are having to think on their feet, apply their education in new ways, and think on a wider-scale level than "working for the man" would ever enable us. 

Sep 13, 11 1:50 am  · 
 · 
junior

so, after all that, anyone still depressed? :)

Sep 13, 11 3:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: