Archinect
anchor

stem cell study funded on $200,000 a year

ieugenei

"The cost was equivalent to about one hundredth of the funds that scientists in the United States work with on similar projects"

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050520/sc_nm/stemcells_hwang_dc_1

May 20, 05 11:08 am
ieugenei

i don't think bush should ban this study. there are ethical complications of course, but technology happens. I think we should keep moving foward with any technological study.

religion shouldn't be a hindrance. This country is for all people and all beliefs. i think the government fears as to what new ideas will come about with discoveries in creation.

random note: i think the government is hiding something at area 51.

Only thing i worry about is this technology getting into the wrong hands.

May 20, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

The whole "debate" about stem cell research infuriates me. Whether stem cells are "embryonic" or not, money should be allocated to fund any research concerning the potential for stem cells to cure debilitating illnesses. The other thing that infuriates me is that any ethical debates concerning embroynic stem cells force the issue of whether adult stem cells can be used. Doctors know that adult stem cells can be used, and this kinda squelches the issue. Those on an ethical high ground will say, "Well, if you can use adult stem cells, then do so, and don't even think about using embryonic stem cells." But the thing is, embryonic stem cell research can be so promising.

And, on a personal note, when I do say that stem cells can provide cures for seemingly "uncurable" ailments, consider this: my brother has had 1 bone marrow transplant and 1 stem cell transplant that has enabled him to beat cancer. Prior to the transplants, his prognosis was not good. Not good at all.

And here's the thing. I was the donor. I had two successive painful procedures to extract bone marrow/stem cells from my body. It hurt like a motherfucker. But my pain was nothing compared to what my brother had to go through. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And not just for my brother.

May 23, 05 2:52 am  · 
 · 
cvoogt

it seems a debate over quantity vs quality of life ... opponents of stem cell research are all about quantity i.e. all life is precious and must be preserved (like Terry Schiavo), even at the expensive of the quality of life of those already living, while proponents of stem cell research seem to balance these factors a bit better IMHO.

May 23, 05 8:32 am  · 
 · 
norm

but the people who would ban stem cell research will gleefully execute people. go figure.

May 23, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: