Archinect
anchor

Cross Country Architecture

mad+dash

I am driving cross country in my parents' rv and I have 3-4 weeks to do it and drive back. What would be on your list of things to see in the 48 contiguous states?

May 11, 05 1:15 pm
A

You'll see more gas stations than anything else.

May 11, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Go find obscure Louis Sullivan banks and such in the mid-west. That'd be fun.

May 11, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
rls

How about checking out Kahn's work - Exeter Library, Salk Institute, and my fave, Kimbell Art Museum. Of course, there's other things to do in between....just watch out for those dry counties!

May 11, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ether

my suggestion - don't drive on any 4 lane interstate highways. pull out an atlas and pick a general route. then find "point of interest" icons along the road lines (most road atlases still have these i think). pick a few and plan on stopping. you'll visit places people have never heard of... how cool would those stories be?

May 11, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
ether

oh yeah. and try and stay away from anything architecturally significant.

May 11, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Go find all the crazy superlatives too. Like "Biggest Ear of Corn" and "Largest Log Cabin in the World". Those are awesome.

May 11, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

tallisan west (arizona)...screw the architecture go to all the national parks u can...way more inspirational and relavnet spaces

May 11, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I second ether on the zero interstate plan. Except maybe around the NH/VT border I remember some incredible exit ramps, and I-70 through CO/UT has it's moments for sure, but if you're crossing CO, 160 is a beautiful road.

May 11, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Biggest Ball of Yarn
Biggest Six Pack
Biggest Ketchup Bottle.
I somewhat agree with Caleb, just go stare at the mountains.

May 11, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
ether

ok, rodin crater or maybe some of smithson's work would be worth a stop.

May 11, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Oh yeah, the blue highways are the way to go. Just by staying off the interstate, you will quadruple the fascinating things you see. If you're going through Kansas though, I would advise against spending the night in Syracuse.

May 11, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

so no takers on the getty or rem's new library or the high museum or falling water?

thanks for all the suggestions...my initial plans were to drive south to LA then head east toward the southern states then make an ellipse of sorts on the way back to san francisco.

May 12, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Medit

i'd love to see some smithson's earthworks...

how about the spiral jetty..

..or the Amarillo Ramp?

May 12, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
rayray

the spiral jetty is cool - go if you can, it's accesible through golden spike state
park (or is it national) - the site of the east meets west rail lines.

if you go through texas check out marfa

in lower new mexico you can book a night stay in demaria's lightning field
through the dia foundation - stay in a cabin

enjoy

May 12, 05 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: