Archinect
anchor

Architect = Boring job?

mauOne™

your job sucks, that doesn't mean architecture is boring.

as i see it, that is the work of engineers, technitians, same as fixing the xerox. but if its for your own work its sooo much fun, piece o cake, enjoyable.

May 5, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

whose job sucks?

May 5, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

" .......I will tell you, yes, this is the epitome of boring and tedious."

errrr, maybe i missunderstood ? no offense, no disrespect intended.

May 5, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

mauOne, maybe i need to side with Straw..what she just mentioned is very much the duty of most architects - architects who do real work anyways.
If you are the type that does competitions and slick renderings all the time, then you might not have to do such things.

For the record i am not into hardcore arch., precisely because i think a lot of real work architecture jobs have extremely boring components to them.

May 5, 05 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

doing what I have to do right now sucks, but that's part of every architect's job somewhat, that's why one might think it's a boring and tedious career - you know all those little lines... I don't think it means my job sucks [although it happens to]

Yesterday I wrote the words "beveled oak trim" quite possibly 60 times. That sucks too. There's no getting around it.

May 5, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
A

Ok, to me there are two types of complaining. First is the pay/salary/income thing. Go figure? Second is everything else.

As for the everything else - there are many good thoughts on this post, but Heterarchy hit the nail on the head with "those that complain typically do so because they are TOO passionate about architecture."

Architects by nature are control freaks. I'm sure we've all heard the stories about FLW designing evening gowns for the client's wife to wear in the house he designed.

So when I drive around and see Wal-Mart's and strip malls and shitty suburban sub-divisions I cringe as a designer. We all have our ideas of what would make the built environment a utopia, but in the end none of our visions will be completely realized.

Then again, sometimes I'm not sure if our ideas are best. Would the Mies - Towers in the Park idea be a success today? I tend to guess no.

So yes, I complain (A LOT) because I want everything my way in a design sense. As a segway to the money - oh, and for my genius I wouldn't mind making a healthy income. That's only fair, right? Hell yes I'm jealous that most of my friends make far more money with far less education, but do I want their lives, certinaly not.

My favorite architect quote is from Corbu when he said - the most amazing thing about our dreams is that they can be realized.

Yes, that is true in a general sense but we complain because of the obstacles keeping us from realizing our dreams.

May 5, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

nono no more missunderstandings please.

that kind of "duty", we all have to do.

in a previous post ihad mentioned that my regular duties go BEYOND these, i have to do EVERYTHING that has to be done in an architectural project, i have an office of 2 people, so i sweep the floors and do my CDs ans i do my renderings and i do construction site modifications, etc, etc, etc.

I just meant that if you ONLY do what StrawBeary described, if that is your ONLY duty, well your job kinda suks don't it ?

May 5, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

no that's not the only thing I do, That would really suck. That's not all I do.

mauOne - I'm glad you do everything too, I was wondering if you were one of those "what's the big deal, just make it like this no big whoop" and then you give your expertly designer flair and make someone else do the dirty work.

I hate CAd right about now, cause if these were hand drawn, you wouldn't know that the ceiling plans weren't updated - right now they look like I drew them when I was wasted! Double lines everywhere!

May 5, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

the thing is that we (or at least myself, and i hope YOU ALL too) dont have to do those tedious things every single day every single week...yeah there will be a week or so where you have to do this mundane task...but then you get to do other stuff too (like filing...j/k...no, like, renderings or elevations, or something) which kind of makes me forget about the boring stuff, or at least makes it seem less boring to me.

i will still argue that architecture itself is not boring, but we do have to do incredibly boring and anal retentive tasks some of the time.

May 5, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

i don't mind doing the insanely tedious stuff like that - as long as i'm also getting to do the design/slick renderings... :) monotony is fine as long as there's a feeling of accomplishment. however, as a young graduate architect, you mostly only get to do the 'boring/real' (depending on your view:) stuff, without any real sense of accomplishment.

May 5, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

right on a.

actually, i don't see much of any disagreement in the past several posts. seems like just yesterday this thread was seathing with heated argument. :)

May 5, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
jahanzebrasheed

In my life Architecture is going to boring until i don,t know why this field is not making a place in my heart ,i m trying since 10 years to create interest in this field but unfortunately i failed ,i m not getting a job in good firms due to this fact ,im trying to be a good architect , but my interest is zero in this field .i want to be motivational speaker ,writer, but long term i have spend in this field but nothing is special for me until . i watch many architectural videos in social media .when i watch a buildings of entire most famous architects to create interest in this, then heart says me no but why .i felt i m jailed in this field and i have no resource of money without it ,in Pakistan this field is growing up day by day but unfortunately i just feel bore be an architect.this is my inner fact and i don,t know how i handle it its just creating problems for me day by  day,and want to resolve these issues...pl z guide me??

Nov 21, 18 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

perhaps start by not resurrecting 13year old zombie jesus discussions. Second, 10 years and nothing to show? Fuck it, move on, you're clearly not cut out for this

Nov 21, 18 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Save a bit of money, quit your job and go travel around for a couple of months, explore the world. There's so much more than architecture out there, you'll see.

Nov 22, 18 2:52 am  · 
 · 
jahanzebrasheed

Absloutly right ,i want to explore my self what i want in architecture .im not saying architecture is bed field  ,this is realistic field of imagination but here is not enough .My  inner interest only touch to motvational speaker ..i think for this i dont need any degree from any  university...

Nov 22, 18 3:11 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe give yourself a motivational speech...

Nov 22, 18 7:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: