Archinect
anchor

M.I.A.

bloviate

Ms. Maya Arulpragasam, subaltern Goddess...
I love her so much, can anybody get me in touch?

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/card/0,,3029087,00.html?src=search&artist=M%2EI%2EA%2E

(Don't tell my girlfriend.)

Apr 22, 05 3:57 pm

agree. arular's been on repeat here at the studio for way too long.

Apr 22, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Bucky Done Gone . MP3
Apr 22, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

check out the XL recordings site.
i'm glad that she's blown up as much as she has, having first heard gelang about a year ago.

i would die for a legit copy of the piracy funds terrorism mixtape that diplo put together last summer/fall.

which by the way diplo/hollertonix is something else you should check out if you're into M.I.A.

anyone going to see her on tour with LCD soundsystem?

Apr 22, 05 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
bloviate

omigod- Diplo's tha shit, Baile funk blew my mind- party mixing cannot get better than that

Apr 22, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

dude,
diplo is mis's boyfriend.

Apr 22, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think they are some sort of mutant outcast power DJ couple.

totally rad interesting people.

Apr 22, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

HMMM sounds a lot like Cibo Matto. It's cool though!

Apr 22, 05 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if these people are so good why arent they appearing on amerikan idol?

Apr 22, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
bloviate

Well, they need to stop dating- we need an intervention here. You can't concentrate that much coolness in one couple. Look at my girlfriend and I, for example...

Apr 22, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Going to see her/Diplo open up for LCD Soundsystem in a few weeks -- can't wait for both...

Apr 23, 05 2:19 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

for those of us who are geographically challenged and unable to actually see her live M.I.A. is going to be on KCRW's morning becomes eclectic and the jimmy kimmel showon may 2.
and conan o'brien may 27.

Apr 28, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
sol?

love her....love
but she will probably sell her soul and be on the OC next week.

Apr 28, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
meversusyou

one question

what the f@ck is up with the cover design of arular?

Apr 28, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
bloviate

meversusyou!

I will follow you into any thread and fight you to the death!
youversusaslowpainfuldigitaldeath...

Apr 28, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

050205 live performance archived at KCRW.com

May 2, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

Anyone in the SF area who likes MIA and stuff for free should head down to Amoeba on Saturday the 14th @ 5pm for a FREE show. yeah, diplo will be there too.

May 13, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

SO JEALOUS.

May 13, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

This is a Public Service Announcement...
WITH GUITARS!!!!
Number 1
you have the right not to be killed
Murder is a crime
unless its done by a policeman
or an aristocrat.
know your rights.
Number 2
you have the right to food money
providing of course
you dont mind a little aggravation,
humiliation, intimidation
and if you cross your fingers
a little rehabilitation.
know your rights.

these are your rights
know these rights...

Number 3
you have the right to free speech
unless your stupid enough to actually try it

know your rights
these are your rights.
and it has been suggested
by some that these are not enough

May 14, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

M.I.A, Diplo, LCD Soundsystem at the Filmore last night as Aaaammmaaazzziiinnggg!! especially LCD who rocked like crazy (actually kinda made M.I.A come across a little poppy, but Diplo is one awesome DJ)...very cool show indeed.

May 15, 05 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i've just caught wind that MIA and Diplo are playing the central park summer stage for FREE the same weekend (aug 7) i will be around new york, i know it's geeky, but i had to post my elation. sorry.

May 19, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
ether

is that bucky done gone track indicative of the rest of her stuff?

it's a catchy tune.

May 19, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

it is. and she even makes her own clothes!

May 19, 05 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

The woman cant sing and she has weak childlike binary beats
what a superficial marketing fluff piece MIA is
what a self indulgent load of crap she has passed off on people
the woman just cant sing and her beats are so 80's garage sequencer.
Esoteric does not necessarily mean good.

Her warmed over political message is so self serving but does gain her a superficially ethically "connected" college trustafarian crowd. Dude we are so edgey-let go get high and protest the world bank and save the world and listen to MIA

Tigre and bunny called and they want their song back
------we like the cars that go boom-----
salt n peppa called and they want their beats back
Peaches called and she wants her sampler back
Mrs Cleo called and she wants her fake jamaican accent back mon
50 called and he wants his booty dancer back
MTV called and they want their gratuitous projected video images back

Wait 3 months after her KCRW time has passed and she will be seen as the Tamil Vanilla Ice.

May 19, 05 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

vanilla iced chai?

May 20, 05 7:08 am  · 
 · 

I have to agree with Suture. I used to disagree. But now I agree.

I used to like MIA very much, but her lyrics are too pamphletarian and the beats just get boring after a while. So kill me.

May 20, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
ap

I agree.....Sunshowers is a nice tune though.

May 20, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Suture

Javier,

How sick are you? I could not have changed your mind 180 that easily. I am pursuasive but that was too quick a flip. Maybe you are nostalgic for and love Tigre and Bunny's song "We like the cars that go boom." MIA did flat out jack that song and spead it up.

for more original and politically concious and nice rap check out
Sticman and M-1, the Dead Prez.

to somewhat temper my previous post and criticism of MIA, i do think that MIA for a few listens is OK-much preferable to 90% of the noise out there. But i just dont get the HUGE fuss? And i do like KCRW, but sometines it seems like they have too much power to make a new act instantly hip. They are very Oprah Book Club in their effect.

Get better soon.

May 20, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i just like her. i like her music, i like diplo's mixes, i don't really care if it sounds new, or cutting edge, or radical. so much music now sounds copied or stolen. nad bands keep putting out the same albums over and over. i can understand being annoyed by the fuss..fuss about bands is annoying and really has ruined my liking for many a band because i can be snobby sometimes. for some reason i just haven't tired of MIA yet, and have enjoyed watching her gain popularity.

May 20, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Suture... get over you'self ;) I don't mean that you persuaded me. I had already come to that conclusion after I listened to the album enough times. I had it in the ishuffle and I found myself fwd past her songs so many times that I realized the love affair was over.

May 20, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

And no I still feel like a truck ran me over... thanks for asking, S. Also, I wanted to say..in defense of kcrw... I think the overbuzz begins with mags like nme and sites like pitchfork...by the way, i personally can't stand their know-it-all arrogance. kcrw is moving very fast with the podcasting and the shows in different cities now, but i think they are only partially to blame, and they do get lots of requests...i used to volunteer there.

May 20, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Suture, upon further psychological introspection I came to this conclusion... I had been in the closet regarding my recent lack of excitement for Ms. Maya Arulpragasam. I wanted to post something for days but I was afraid of stephanie, Paul and especially meversusyou (with a name like that...). I knew the other kids in the yard would kick me or would silently think I was uncool. I am thankful that you have been brave and have spoken up. Just because most people voted for Bush doesn't mean we all have to be so republican (read: lock-step militant) in our own convictions! Thank you Suture. You are always a sage contrarian.

May 20, 05 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

im actually just a young aspiring curmudgeon in training. My hero is Andy Rooney :)

Now im off to listen to the Bravery on my Ipod

May 20, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

go trim your eyebrow hairs

May 20, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

does she do the milkshake song???

May 20, 05 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

no she does a sholay
M.I.A. VS SUNIT - GALANG SHOLAY REMIX .mp3=http://www.sunit.biz/mia/galangremixradio1.mp3

May 23, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

oops.. http://www.sunit.biz/mia/galangremixradio1.mp3?

May 23, 05 11:01 am  · 
 · 
meversusyou

Javier,

i think you've mistaken my posts. i despise that hipster filth. i orginally posted that she sucked ass, but took every opportunity to fully comprehend her music. i somewhat respect the opinions of some posters here, and i thought if so many here like her, i'll see what the fuss is about.

and it is true, pitchfork is a load of shit now.

i tried, i saw her at Ameoba, but in the end, i dont dig her stuff.

give me John Darnielle type whiney-too good for you-minor label-folk-rock any day of the week.

so as far as MIA bashing, you are in good company.

May 23, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

i was wrong.

after listening to the CD for a hundred few more times
and once i got past the reto kitsch beats
and the fact that it was actually sampled in a 'basement'

i have come to like the CD's catchy blips, horns and her wails and delivery.

its a good bike riding song list.

i have changed my mind. i was wrong.

Jun 28, 05 2:55 am  · 
 · 

Suture, just look at the PS1 Gallery a few hundred times and you'll end up changing your mind there too.

Jun 28, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Suture

That POS will never approach an ounce of the layered beats, lingo and violence.

If i look at SUR one more time i will loose my lunch on my keyboard.

Jun 28, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i give suture a month....

Jun 28, 05 11:55 am  · 
 · 

suture, i'm going to take pictures of it and email them directly to you

Jun 28, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
oldirty

Ha...so typically hipster...I love hip-hop...as long as its not done by any of those pesky blacks or latinos.

Jun 28, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: