Archinect
anchor

iPod enthusiasts unite!

WonderK

It seems that I do have something in common with our Commander-in-Chief after all.....

President Bush's iPod

Will appreciation of this sexy piece of hardware be what brings our divided country together? Do you think he snuck any Dr. Dre on there?

Is it weird that I named mine?

Apr 11, 05 2:20 pm
strlt_typ

they're too expensive for what they do...

Apr 11, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

i completely disagree with dammson. they are well worth the cost, even more so if you use the extra functions like calendar, notes, file transport, etc. i completely abandoned my palm handheld when i got my ipod.

i love my ipod more than any other bit of gadgetry in my kit... although it is a probably a tie between my ipod and cell phone.

Apr 11, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

what did you name yours? i called mine "French Without the Fuss" "French" for short. we're not weird, you have to give it a name when you use itunes, no?

I like my iPod but I have beef with its design. the outer shell seems designed to be disposed of. it gets scratched easily unless you buy additional protective casing (decreasing the sex appeal in my opinion), and even at that the spin wheel still gets dirty. also, the foam protectors on the earpieces fall off and get lost easily, the buds fall out if you are jogging, the wire has tuned grey rather than the original white, you cannot replace the battery yourself, and in the winter you must remove your gloves to use the spin wheel. sure, every design has its flaws and the iPod is a sensual little thing but i think that too much of the functionality has been compromised. i also think there are ways to incorporate the functionality and maintain the sensuality. for example: use materials that are less apt to be scratched or discolored, design the earbuds so that the foam protective is hooked or stuck on in some way or eliminate the need for the foam with a different ear bud design...etc...

my opinion is that the intelligent designers at iPod are either business savvy or had business savvy people on their asses demanding they design obsolescence into the iPod. that's consumerism for yah.

Apr 11, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

pazdon,

no offense, my friend, but you have a few things wrong. The outer shell is okay. What's meant to be thrown away are the stock earbuds you are complaining about. You wouldn't have that problem with the foam protectors falling off.

In Chicago, seeing so many people with iPods, seeing so many people easily recognized with the stock ipod earbuds has lead me to only one conclusion:
Anyone wearing those things really has no concern for how their music sounds. At the most, they should be worn for no more than 10 minutes, ever, while a person makes a comparison between their terrible acoustics, and the improved acoustics of just about any other in -ear or out-of-ear headphones.
When I see people wearing them, all I can think is that they don't care about the overall sound. They're the kind of people I expect buy all the latest hits from iTunes.

A good pair of headphones doesn't have to cost a fortune. I mean, even buying the Bose or Shure in ear headphones that Apple sells is a big improvement if you prefer the in-ear design.

But please, I beg of you, throw those stock earbuds down the toilet and don't look back.

Here's a nice site with reviews of all kinds of headphones:
http://www.audiocubes.com/
Right there on the front page they have a listing for these:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Sony_MDR-EX81SL_Clip-on_Earphones.html

Finally, don't complain about "why should I have to pay MORE for headphones when I already paid $200+ for the ipod?"

The answer: Because hearing music well is worth it. Hearing various instruments, sounds, etc. is worth it. Music is worth it.

Anyhow, sorry for any wrong generalizations. Just trying to have fun and convert people away from the garbage that is iPod earbuds.

Apr 11, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Oh, and depending on what generation of ipod you have, you can change the battery yourself.

Apr 11, 05 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

pazdon...

"Zelenka." I have an iPod mini, and it's green, and that means "little green one" in Czech. I'm not going to lie to you, I spent some time on that one.....this is what happens when your apartment is too small for a dog! I have to name inanimate objects :o\

And it's not that I mind spending more money on earbuds, but it kind of annoys me that I might have to spend $57 to get ones that a) match, b) actually stay in my ear, and c) sound good. But I guess they are as advanced as their much-larger, ear-enveloping, "world-be-damned" cousins, the headphones. Those cost quite a bit on their own...

Apr 11, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
crush

WONDERK- WHAT KIND OF EARBUDS DID YOU PICK UP. MY STOCK EARBUDS LASTED ABOUT A WEEK BEFORE THE BUZZING STARTED. NOW I USE SONY STUDIO MONITORS THAT ARE QUITE LARGE AND INCONVENIENT TO TRANSPORT BUT ARE GOOD IN THE OFFICE WHEN I WANT TO IGNORE EVERYTHING BUT THE TASK AT HAND. ANYWAY, I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THOSE BUZZY LITTLE BASTARDS WITH SOMETHING THAT I CAN EXERCISE WITH. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Apr 11, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

I love my ipod, but it is due for a battery change very soon- i can barely get two hours out of it- and i will be changing it myself. I bought mine mainly because i needed a portable hard drive, which i use for a lot, but it is a very good music player too-
i have never used my apple headphones- i use sony in ear headphones, and i have done with various contraptions for about 10 years. if you need something for buses and trains- thay are ideal. they wont block out everything, but they serve me well.

Apr 11, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
.nl

I've divided my life in Before IPod and After IPod.

Apr 11, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I bought an iPod last weekend, and absolutely love it. I can't believe I went so long without one! I definitely want to get better headphones, the stock ones hurt my ears. But I have a bunch of pairs of headphones, so I can't really see the reason to buy the really cool Bang and Olufson phones. Maybe for my birthday....

Apr 11, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

i went out this weekend and tried to replace my broken earphones with another pair from apple. i decided on the fancy earbuds with the small silicon covers. they definitely looked cool, but after trying them, i can say that they are the worst sounding earphones i have ever used. i cant believe apple would sell such an inferior product. needless to say, i returned them and bought a pair of sonys for half the price. i am disappointed in apple and the constant overlooking of quality for the sake of design.

for shame.

yet i am still in love with my ipod.

does anyone know if /when apple will combine a mobile phone with the ipod?

Apr 11, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

I'm getting ready to buy an iPod, but could use some advice-any suggestions on which one to get?

Apr 11, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I have an iPod photo, and my favorite thing to do is make video capture 'flipbooks' which you can scroll through with the wheel.

Apr 11, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
phreak125

Something i never thought of until i spent waaaaay too much time looking for at headphones:

most good ones need to be BROKEN IN. also reading the directions, as in taking a few seconds to look at that great little diagram on the back of the box, is also helpful.

example:

Sony's iPod replacement headphones (yeah they are tiny and white) are killer in comparison to the stock buds you get. But the reviews are mixed about them because most idiots don't look at the graphic on the backside that shows that you have to put the longer wire BEHIND your head...

and then they never take a day or two to break them in!!! just hit random, walk away, and let it play until your ipod dies. then listen to them and enjoy the goodness you have just released!

sony earbuds

or do yourself a real favor and get some grado's

Apr 11, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
TED

or perhaps technocuties.....

Apr 11, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you young kids are all going to go deef i say. Deef!!!

Apr 11, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
TED

what?

Apr 11, 05 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
phreak125

"looking for at headphones"... where do i come up with this stuff?

Apr 11, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

My Shuffle > My MD player.

Apr 11, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

southpaw, I have to admit, my iPod mini is very young and I have not gotten around to getting a new pair of proper earbuds yet. I know, for shame! I was afraid to mention it earlier out of fear that Manteno would give me the smack down!

But those Sony ones look like they'll do the trick, if you're willing to pay $57. If you want to pay half the price and don't mind ambient sound, I found these $23 Sony earbuds, which are also white and clip around your ear for activity. Of course I haven't tried either but it sounds like everyone here is happy with their Sonys?

At least we've taken to talking about it.....it's not like you can go and try on headphones like you can shoes. They should have testers for these things.

Apr 11, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tinydancer, I would say it depends on your own preferences. I don't need to carry that much music around with me at once so I got a mini. But I have friend who's a DJ who has one of the big ones and has it nearly full.

Also I went ahead and got a small one in the hopes that one day they will evolve into the beautiful objects we know they are capable of being....iPod music player/mobile phone/PDA/digital camera. The technology is getting close (have a look at this Treo), but I think it might take some time for the design and quality to catch up.

Apr 11, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
The Guardian

set up a blog to suggest what Bush should put in his iPod....not too many surprises there.

Also, regarding the "earbud" discussion....some people think that having the iPod white earbuds makes you a more likely target for muggers. I don't know if there are stats to back this up, but anyone care to comment?

Apr 12, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: