Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

k2886

ok people seeriously is anyone hearing from UCLA MARCH 2 yet??

Mar 17, 12 12:21 am  · 
 · 
danj

Hi, I'm int'l.

I applied to top schools M.Arch1: GSD, YSOA, GSAPP, MIT. I got rejected from all schools. (still waiting for GSAPP but hopeless...)

Do you guys think that it's a good idea to contact admissions offices to ask about my application? I really want to do that but I'm a bit worried it seems rude to them. 

Anyway, Congrats everyone! 

Mar 17, 12 12:59 am  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

@danj

From my experience in the US, I do not think there is a problem with calling the admissions office to ask about your application.  However, I believe that they will politely find a way to tell you nothing about your application.  It would be nice for them to analyze what you could do better for next years application, however I don't think they would or even have the resources to commit to such cases.  I think, the best way figure out what happened, would probably be at an open house, where you can really compare yourself to the current students.  I would take advantage of that on the next opportunity you get.

Anyhow, I think your unlucky this time around.  Good luck in the future!

Mar 17, 12 1:48 am  · 
 · 
litic

I am still waiting for the Yale package. Is there anyone else who hasn't received it yet? I wonder why its taking so long. I am in India btw.

Mar 17, 12 2:04 am  · 
 · 
danj

@ FederallyFunded

Thanks a lot for your kind comment !! I'm just completed my master's degree and now totally free, unemployed. Yes, it's time to fly to America. (I should've visited an open house last year...)

Hope you have a great weekend!

Mar 17, 12 3:15 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

@danj what grad programs did you apply to this year? can i suggest european programs, as you already have a master's.. such as programs at eth, sac, dia bauhaus, even bartlett still has rolling admission. also, sci arc postgrad program deadline has been extended to may 2012. good luck!

Mar 17, 12 3:48 am  · 
 · 
danj

@morgan2sims I applied to M.Arch1. My supervisor recommended bartlett, too. I ruled it out because my major is digital media design, non-arch! But I think I need to check it again, also other schools. Thanks!! Have a nice weekend!

Mar 17, 12 4:13 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

bartlett has a 2 year diploma program which equals to b.arch, i think. after that you can take either the 1 year or 2 year m.arch at bartlett.

you too!

Mar 17, 12 4:34 am  · 
 · 
pillow

@martanixwell go to the GSD! best school! you're so lucky!

Mar 17, 12 5:18 am  · 
 · 
tschural

Hi, guys/girls! The admission process has ended for me for MArch I AP:

IN: Princeton, UPenn, Michigan

OUT: GSD, Yale

I am trying to decide between these two schools : Princeton vs. Penn

Has anybody been in the same boat and what made you decide between these two?

What I am looking for is:

-more intellectual/philosophical/historical approach to architecture
-not very interested into pre-fabrication/parametric design/pretty renderings
-might potentially enter politics/international relations
-wants to establish connections with variety of people
-looking for more prestigious architecture program
-has some entrepreneurial spirit and business drive

ANY feedback will be highly appreciated! THANK YOU!

Mar 17, 12 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
sofia k

@tschural

Based on what you're looking for, I'd say Princeton.

Mar 17, 12 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
litic

@tschural

Princeton OBVIOUSLY! They have, arguably the best M.Arch programme in the United States. Liz Diller is heading the graduate programme and Princeton has some great faculty including people like Mario Gandelsonas, Dan Wood, Christine Boyer. This is quite a no-brainer!

Penn's architecture programme has taken a highly parametric/digital  direction in the recent past and now plays second fiddle to their vastly superior landscape programme(s).

I applied to Princeton for the M.Arch II programme. It was my first choice along with Yale. Got rejected by Princeton but got into Yale. Princeton is a wonderful school. Don't even think twice. Especially since you're not interested in parametric design which is primarily what UPenn does nowadays.

Mar 17, 12 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
tschural

@Raskladushka - Thank you!

@sg18 - Princeton is such a small school with a very low acceptance rate and everybody here posts about other schools but it. Since I was 13 and watched "A Beautiful Mind", I fell in love with the school. Thank you for the reassurance and good luck at Yale!

Mar 17, 12 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
litic

@ tschural

You're welcome. Princeton SOA is awesome and congratulations on getting in!

Mar 17, 12 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

The official UCLA decisions have been posted online:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp

Mar 17, 12 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

for march 2??

Mar 17, 12 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
soali

To anyone that got accepted to UCLA already, is that link actually updated?

Mar 17, 12 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
AA23

Hi everybody ... I am an int'l applicant for M.Arch 1 .. I don't know much bout the edu funding system in USA .. I got merit based scholarships from all schools I got accepted to, round 10K on average .. is this a good amount or do people get way more ..?

none from UT Austin ... Is this coz its a public uni ..?

Has anyone here received any merit based scholarship from UT .. and was this indicated in the pdf admission letter itself .. ? coz I dont think UT sends any package like other schools .. 

Please let me know .. Thanks ..!

Mar 17, 12 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Building

@aman

Every school has different financial aid policies.

Look through this thread to see what other people are getting for the schools you applied to or contact the school.  Financial need is still a factor in most merit based scholarships though.

Mar 17, 12 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

@k2886

for M. Arch I acceptances at least

@soali

Not sure what you mean by saying updated, but I got an e-mail telling me to check the site this morning.

It says there's no request for financial aid for me... I need to call them about that.

Mar 17, 12 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
soali

So when you checked it it said, "accepted" or whatever? Mine still says pending fee waiver, and it was supposed to be processed months ago...

Mar 17, 12 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
RandomWorks

Has anybody heard from Cooper Union yet?

Mar 17, 12 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

@emyen @RISDers

Who all went to the open house this week? I was unable to get there. Any postive/negative impressions? I've heard student work is less digital, more hand drawing, physical modeling, which actually interests me a lot more than the quote 'parametricism' trends.. Any impressions on the integration with the B.Arch program? Equivalency of "Degree Project" with the master's thesis at other schools?

Also, anyone heading to Cornell's open house? I found a decent deal on a flight and am biting the bullet to get out there, but really exciting. I've heard Ithaca is gorgeous. I'm also likely going to hop over to RISD even though their open house already happened since Ithaca is much closer than the Rocky Mountains.. hopefully will get to see alot of student work and studios in action, which is going to be a huge deciding factor for me as well. Hoping Cornell sends some more need-based aid my way, only have a relatively small merit award so far..

Mar 17, 12 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

@tschural

I think princeton is a great school, it is one of my fav programs in the country.  However, I do sometimes find it TOO small, sometimes to the extent where it's significance is questioned.  This is just a personal opinion though.  

Looking at your list, I feel you would have fit into the GSD, however since that is not the case, I think princeton is BY FAR your best option.  Although, they are not so much about architecture as a practice and are more about theory...  In other words, it is a program that will want you to explore and publish a lot of your findings, it is very good if one is looking to go the academia route...          

Mar 17, 12 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
emyen

@ The Coop Guy

I have only a short amount of time on the internet right now, so if someone wants to expand on their thoughts re: RISD, feel free to do so. 

My general feel was that they are very interested in helping you pursue YOUR interests, which means they attract more people with a flexible definition of the field of architecture. That is both wonderful (it's why I am so excited about them), and perhaps bad. They did admit that that means they are probably not the best school in producing the best practicing architect, but in teaching people how to design, problem solve, and think on a larger scale in line with each student's personal interest, that's their strength. It does seem their work is less digital, using software only to aid design, and not define it. They are much more about the hands-on, "making" experience. 

The integration of the B.Arch degree is maybe still kind of confusing to me, so please correct me on my impressions/understandings of the situation if need be. The undergraduate architecture students have the same curriculum that we have, and we're basically mixed together. This produces a lot of different results - many of the graduate students I spoke to talked about how eye-opening it was for them to work with students of perhaps even a whole different generation. For me, I am a bit wary about this, as the fellow students in my class do affect me. 

Either way, the RISD open house (keeping in mind these programs are aimed towards attracting you towards their programs) felt really down to earth and just very attractive to me, in their stance on digital design, flexibility, and universal usefulness. 

@ The Coop Guy - you are going to UMichigan open house as well, right?

Mar 17, 12 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
emyen

Also, Berkeley - no results out yet?! With an open house early april... I'd expect word really soon. 

Is it just safe to assume I didn't get in? It's just disconcerting not hearing anything back from a school whose application was due amongst the first (Dec. 15th)... 

Mar 17, 12 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

@soali

Yes, the link asked for my email address for decision status, and it showed me the official letter.

Mar 18, 12 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Christian Lam

@emyen

I share your frustration with UC Berkeley and may I add, GSAPP. Both had the earliest deadlines, yet results seemed to be out only for the selected few.

Didn't like the way the admissions are holding back information at our expense. Maintaining optionality for themselves only create the perception of inefficiency and lack of confidence.

Mar 18, 12 9:34 am  · 
 · 
extremee

@RandomWorks I got an e-mail from Cooper Union on 3/7, it was asking for an interview. But I am still waiting for the call... It seems they have sent some admissions according to Gradcafe

Mar 18, 12 11:30 am  · 
 · 
nycer

@ the Co-op Guy

Heading over to Cornell's open house on the 30th. I'm on the same boat as you, got merit based scholarship for $10000, so really hopping I can get some more need based aid to go with that. On that note, does Cornell even offer need based aid (other than loans)? 

I have to say, even though it's a relatively new program, I'm super excited about Cornell and the new Koolhaas building. So I really hope I get to go there without having to graduate with too much debt. 

Mar 18, 12 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
RandomMistakes

@Soali

No, the link for UCLA hasn't updated for me yet.  Still says no decision has been made even though I got the acceptance letter.

Mar 18, 12 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
tplf07

Hi all, 

Struggling with my decision and would love any and all feedback:

Got into Pratt, Parsons (with decent $), CCA (SF), and UWash (Seattle) - all M.Arch I programs. Would love to be in San Fran, but after getting into Pratt and UW, I think one of those would be a better "investment." Absolutely loved Pratt, but it's the most expensive. UW is an amazing school and quite cheap, as well as lower comparative living expenses, but I don't know how I feel about clouds and rain 9 months of the year, though Seattle itself is great.  Parsons gave me decent money and I think I would definitely choose Pratt over Parsons if I hadn't, but am trying to figure out if there is a real difference to where I would stand at the end of completing each of those programs... can I really rationalize turning down a large scholarship from Parsons to go to Pratt... any thoughts?

Mar 18, 12 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

@ tplf07 - I am a parson student who goes there currently (undergrad) Arch but I took multiple master courses with the march student. I would say if pratt really has a very specific course or class you wanna take, the difference isn't much. Since a good amount of teachers from pratt teach courses in parson and vice versa. Cost is drastic too parsons is i nthe heart of manhattan while pratt is in middle of brooklyn. So in the end its your choice .

P.S  - I got into the parsons march and syracuse and hoping to go to syracuse for grad cause of my interest in parametrci modelling

Mar 18, 12 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
Building

@emyen

Berkeley has been slowly sending out "unofficial" acceptance e-mails.  I got one on Friday.

@tplf07

Go to open houses if you can.  You don't need to make your decision yet.  Also try to estimate your debt after school and how much it will be to pay off.  I nearly attended Pratt without a scholarship last year until I estimated the debt and minimum payments I would have on graduation.  You might guess why I am applying to schools again this year.

Mar 18, 12 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

anyone going to the Rice open house tomorrow?

Mar 18, 12 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

does anyone know something about sci-arc results?

Mar 18, 12 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Christian Lam

Just got email from GSAPP, waitlisted. Really surprised I actually stood a chance.

@tplf07

I wished somehow we can trade places. Got accepted to UW, Pratt, CCA also.

UW is really expensive for me (being international), while Pratt is offering a 21k scholarship. I am surprised that CCA, being one of the more costly places, didn't offer any $ to attract talent against other more established colleges.

Personally leaning towards UW, both on the program as well as location (more family friendly since I got a kid). But the scholarship is really tempting and it's NY afterall.

Mar 18, 12 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

@Christian

ahhhh.....studio and a kid....  good luck man, had a friend go through that, and I know its tough... :))

Mar 18, 12 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
VMarie

Is anyone else still waiting on a decision from Cornell? For those who have received decisions, did they notify you via email or regular postal mail?

Mar 18, 12 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Christian Lam

@FederallyFunded.

ha ha thanks. you know it can get worse. the wife's thinking about having another one and we will be moving across continents and countries, not just states or cities, to start life over.

Life perhaps was never easy, but it should never be boring.

Mar 19, 12 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Christian Lam

saw someone posted UBC acceptance over the weekend. Anyone else received the same?

Mar 19, 12 2:36 am  · 
 · 
martanixwell

@FlagVMarie

I received the decision notification on M.Arch I by email and the website is also updated

Mar 19, 12 5:49 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Hi all!  received admission notification from UIUC and IIT m.arch AP. out - yale. waiting for Columbia MSAAD and Texas A&M. Seeing here that MSAAD admits have been out already, if UIUC and IIT are my only two options which one should i opt for?

Mar 19, 12 6:04 am  · 
 · 
Karimi

What do you guys think between GSD vs Sci-arch vs GSAPP ? Assuming $ and time is all the same between all 3.

Mar 19, 12 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Christian Lam

Accepted to UBC! just got dhl mail, surprised they didn't use the email route.

Now the tough decision between UBC and UW. what would you choose?

Mar 19, 12 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Hi all!  received admission notification from UIUC and IIT m.arch AP. out - yale. waiting for Columbia MSAAD and Texas A&M. Seeing here that MSAAD admits have been out already, if UIUC and IIT are my only two options which one should i opt for?

Mar 19, 12 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

@Larn: is UBC - university of British Columbia, Canada?

Mar 19, 12 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Christian Lam

@Starkitect: Yes. Apols for the abbreviations.

Mar 19, 12 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

@Larn: UBC is one of the top two schools in Canada. Plus the m.arch programs are equivalent. so definitely u can work in both US and Canada. Then again u would have to compare the actual programs and fee structure from someone studying there. Good luck! m waiting on UBC m.arch reply too...any reference from them online or on mail?

Mar 19, 12 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Bench

UBC isn't one of the top two schools in Canada. Where did that statement come from?

Mar 19, 12 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: