Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

Anxiety

@lnd123

You're asking questions that you can find out yourself. Contact the schools.

Mar 21, 12 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

@m3tropolis, jason_sf, smwong

Which programs did you guys apply to for Berkeley? I was accepted to the Studio One program and received both an unofficial email from the program head and the semi-official email from the chair of graduate advisors, but nothing from the Dean or anything regarding financial info yet.

Mar 21, 12 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

@shawnswisher, nice to see another Sean/ Shawn around. I applied to the M.Arch Option 3 program. It seems like the Berkeley CED would prefer accepted students confirm their interest in enrolling before everything is formalized, i.e. before you get the official offer from the graduate division with financial aid info. It just seems to be the way their process works.

My opinion is that if you need to make decisions soon, that you request that the department forward your recommendation of admission to the graduate division. There is no guarantee that they will do this for every person, but I think it might help if your decision to attend will be based on financial aid offers.

Mar 21, 12 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

@"The Co-op Guy"

the surprising thing is that up to a few years ago all graduate students at cornell received funding. i wonder whether the high costs of milstein hall could have removed scholarship money for students?

on last year's M.Arch comiserate thread, some people got funding from Cornell after the April 15 deadline. candidates who were offered money might turn down the offer, thus making the fellowship available to other cornellians. 

Mar 21, 12 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
miesvanderrohe

@Berkeley people

Hey! Been a long time browser of this site, decided to make an account. Got the same acceptance letter everyone else got yesterday. No grants! I've pretty much decided to go to Berkeley at the end of the day. Costs might be steep, but for those of us that don't have grants, there is still the chance to be a GSI/TA. It's just not a guarantee. 

I'll be heading out on 3/31 for the open house. I know you guys are bouncing around the idea of a meetup, count me in! Is there a way we can advertise it to everyone that is attending?

Mar 21, 12 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@shanswisher, smwong, other Berkeley people

So I clarified with them that the unofficial offer is basically your offer (I'm opt 3, btw). Assuming everything checks out with you application (ie., you didn't falsify your transcripts, GRE, etc.), the graduate division will issue an official acceptance letter AFTER you notify the CED that you are accepting their offer. Grants, fellowships, GSI positions, etc, are offered directly through the department so if they recommended that in your unofficial offer, it means you'll get it as long as you accept before the deadline.

Perhaps anyone who wants to grab a bite and/or drink or just hang out with some of their potential future peers can meet up outside Wurster Hall following the evening reception on 4/1 (assuming it doesn't run too late)? That seems like the easiest thing since none of us really know each other, and this way there's no pressure to feel like you have to join in. I used to live in Berkeley and am from the area, so am happy to show people around a bit--though I am no expert. I think smwong may know the campus better than me.

Mar 21, 12 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

b

Mar 21, 12 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
ngcorliss

guys sci arch just release their decision through mails :)

Mar 21, 12 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

@ jason_sf and Berkeley posters, sounds like the best thing to do. Would be glad to walk around campus and do Jupiter's for beer and pizza. In other news, I have my final results. In: GSD + $$, UCB + ?, CCA + 3k/ yr &?, Cal Poly Pomona + ?, SCI-Arc + ? Out: Yale Tough decisions ahead.

Mar 21, 12 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

accepted @ Sci.Arc. Waiting for financial aid

Mar 21, 12 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
ngcorliss

yea me 2, In: Sci Arch+??, UCLA+22K, USC+28K, UMich, Out: Yale , still cant decide

Mar 21, 12 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Finally:

IN: GSD March 2 ($10k), SCI-Arc March 2 ($¿?)

OUT: MIT SMArchS, MIT Media Lab

Mar 21, 12 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
dannyh

sciarc acceptance rate really 70-90% ?

Mar 22, 12 1:05 am  · 
 · 
enmod

I'm sorry, is there anyone going to UMichigan open house today? or tomorrow?

Mar 22, 12 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Karimi

In at Sci-arc but going to GSD. Summary: In - gsd,GSAPP,sciarc,ucla Out - Princeton

Mar 22, 12 9:22 am  · 
 · 
RandomMistakes

Final results-

In: USC 2 year +15k, UCLA 3 year, SCI-Arc 2 year
Out: UT Austin

Guess I'll be moving to LA.

Here's the portfolio I submitted in case anyone wants to know: http://issuu.com/derekleewoods/docs/gradappportfolio

Mar 22, 12 9:54 am  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

@enmod I'm flying in to Detroit tonight and will be there for the preview weekend. looks like i'll be seeing you there!

Mar 22, 12 11:15 am  · 
 · 
erlb

I still haven´t hear anything from UW Seattle - I know alot of you was admitted last week.. 
Does that mean I´m on the waiting list?? 

Do they send out rejected emails if you dont get accepted? ...Seems like everyone got an answer from UW already...??

Accepted UCB! 

Mar 22, 12 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@erib, it should display your admissions decision if you log into the application website

Mar 22, 12 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
SkiSteve

@erib

I haven't heard anything either.  I logged in to the application and it still says submitted.  It also says the department will make all decisions by early april.

Mar 22, 12 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Vexillation

@erlb

I'm waiting for a decision from UW as well - if you log in to your application it displays two things: (1) that they will notify you by e-mail or snail mail of a decision (which implies either a positive or negative decision, if I had to hazard a guess) and (2) that they expect to make their decisions by early April. There's still some time on the clock - I wouldn't shortchange yourself. Who knows - might be something in your inbox later today. Congrats on UCB, btw.

Mar 22, 12 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

@erlb, SkiSteve, and Vexillation

The open house for admitted students at UW is a week from tomorrow. Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I would say if you haven't heard back yet then the very best you could hope for would be waitlist...

Mar 22, 12 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Vexillation

Thanks for the heads up. Just trying to fan the fires of optimism a little for those of us that are still waiting ;D

Mar 22, 12 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

haha I mean for your guys' sake I hope I'm wrong! Just doesn't seem like they would still be holding on to people who are outright accepted  this close to the open house.

Mar 22, 12 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
erlb

haha, honesty is good @nathan geller! ;D Im probably not accepted, but if on a waiting list, how long is that list at schools like this? I´m from norway, and not use to applying for schools over in the big US! hah..

We´ll hope for the best, @Vexillation!!

Mar 22, 12 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
erlb

..and yeah, the online application still says "Submitted" nothing else...

Mar 22, 12 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Ok, I just called UW and they told me that decisions are still being made, so by Monday everyone should know if they were accepted or not. So don't lose the faith yet.

Mar 22, 12 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
lostintranslation

Hi guys I'm new around here need some help deciding between UPenn MArch 2 and MSAAD at Columbia.... I'm all about digital parametric design so which school is better in that regard. I understand this has kind of been debated to death in older posts but opinions about these 2 schools seem very divided (obviously) between the schools current students and alumnis... Its abit hard for me to make a judgement call as I'm currently working in Asia and I'm not gonna be able to take a flight down to attend the open houses. Another important factor is which of these schools would open more doors for work or research opportunies after graduating? (recession not withstanding, yes optimistic) Oh yes I did get some funding from Penn but nothing from Columbia :( Would love to hear some level headed opinions please!

Mar 22, 12 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
extremee

This morning my sister who live in ME told me she got the letter from Cooper Union, really exciting!!!!

26/male/B.A Chung Yuan Christian University, Taiwan

GRE: 147/159 W3.0

TOEFL iBT: 103

GPA: 3.26

In: Cooper Union MArch II, Columbia MSAAD, Cornell MArch II ($10000)

Out: Princeton, Yale, GSD, MIT

Pending: UCL MArch Architecture RIBA Part.2

Portfolio: http://issuu.com/jowett/docs/portfolio2004-11

Mar 22, 12 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
ar.ash

acceptance letter from SAC and IAAC and  waiting to hear from tuDELFT and AA.

portfolio : http://issuu.com/ar.ashwanth/docs/portfolio

Mar 22, 12 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
abcd

Tally:

IN: Washington (Seattle), Carnegie Mellon

OUT: GSD, Columbia MSAAD, MIT SMArchS, MIT Media Lab

Assistantship from CMU; waiting on financial aid from UW.

Mar 23, 12 1:51 am  · 
 · 
litic

@extremee Your portfolio is absolutely fantastic. Congratulations on getting into all of those places! If I were you, I'd head to the Cooper Union without thinking twice!

Mar 23, 12 5:08 am  · 
 · 
AA23

HI .. has anyone not heard from / waitlisted / rejected from SCI-Arc .. ??

Mar 23, 12 8:34 am  · 
 · 
faintest ink

@extremee.

Your portfolio looks amazing! Congrats on the acceptances! (I have to say I am surprised you got rejected by the big four)

Have you made your pick?

Mar 23, 12 11:29 am  · 
 · 
pillow

To anyone looking into going to the Cornell open house, we're sharing a ride from NYC and looking for 2 more people! 
http://ithaca.craigslist.org/rid/2917503367.html

Mar 23, 12 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
OfflinerWei

In: AA DRL, GSAAP MSAAD, Michigan M.Arch2, U.Penn, sciarc, Pratt (&21000)

Out: YSOA, GSD, MIT

It's really hard for me to make a decision between the first three.

what would you choose?

Any suggestion and information would be helpful for me.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 12 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Has anyone received SCI-Arc admission package via mail? What about financial aid?

Mar 23, 12 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
VMarie

@extremee

Loved your portfolio and thought it is one of the best if not the best I've seen posted on this site. Shocked as well that you got those rejections, but Cooper Union is amazing! Congrats!!!

Mar 23, 12 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
nikon

I'm wondering if anyone has opinions about the Clemson and GA Tech M.Arch I programs. 

Mar 23, 12 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

all right in the spirit of this whole commiserate thread, and for future generations and science, here we are:

GSD - in, (3.5yr) $, tier 1 grant

GSAPP - in, zero $ - can't afford it, someone on the wait list will be happy

MIT - in, (3.5yr) $, with fellowship

UMich - in, 5k scholarship, wait list will be happy...

UVa - in, (path B) small fellowship, but it's half the price of everywhere else and 2years.

I'm giving serious thought to GSD vs. MIT vs. UVa. All programs are incredible, and each play to their own unique strengths. I could possibly graduate UVa relatively debt free, while I end up with the same amount of debt at both MIT and GSD (probably about 50K, worst case scenario- not an astronomical amount.) But I don't want to go somewhere based solely on a financial decision. I feel like Boston is better connected, but that C-Ville would be way more relaxed. MIT and UVa are small programs and I'd get to know faculty really well. Both their programs have a dedicated faculty of practitioners. UVa is extremely design centered and contextually/environmentally aware. MIT is where a "lot of architects are not designing buildings," not sure how I feel about that, but that is also a part of their commitment to first making everyone unlearn everything to have an open mind- a huge strength. MIT also has accessible dual degrees, as does UVa. The GSD is well, the GSD - extremely well funded, connected, and engaged and opens up the doors to an academic architecture route. I'm also thrilled to report that all 3 schools have student work with 90 degree angles in them and very few generative blobs-- a deal breaker for me.

I'm rambling at this point, but a very tough decision (one I am fortunate to have) coming up. Good luck everyone, and congratulations, it's been fun commiserating together!

If anyone's attending those open houses, I'd love to hear some comments. (I can't make them because of work obligations)

Mar 24, 12 1:09 am  · 
 · 
technophobia

To echo Lance, and since there's no results thread as of yet:

In: Yale +$

Out: GSD, MIT, Rice, Princeton

Really, REALLY lucked out as Yale was my first choice.

Portfolio: http://issuu.com/danielnguyen4/docs/portfolio4

All in all, it's been a somewhat unpredictable ride (with the GREs changing and GSD deciding to go all digital). Good luck to anyone with difficult decisions ahead!

Mar 24, 12 3:49 am  · 
 · 
extremee

@sg18 @faintest ink @VMarie:

Thank you guys! I was also sad about been rejected by Yale, it is definitely my dream school. Maybe it was because of my crapped GPA and test scores, or they may have other points of view on my portfolio. However, got in the Cooper Union is a big surprise for me, I would probably accept Cooper Union's offer. I love their faculty and the impressions the school gave. And because of the full-ride, applying a second master degree could be considered in the future.

Any suggestion and critique on my portfolio would be very appreciated : )

Mar 24, 12 5:07 am  · 
 · 
litic

@extremee

I've been admitted to Yale for the M.Arch II programme. I think your work is really really good and is definitely one of the best undergraduate portfolios I've ever seen. I think it must've been your essay/scores or something. 

That being said, Cooper Union was one of my dream schools but I couldn't apply because I don't have the required work experience. I'm going straight out of my B.Arch.

Mar 24, 12 7:03 am  · 
 · 
litic

Mar 24, 12 7:03 am  · 
 · 

now that most results are in, ive started a results thread for future reference... i know i stalked the previous years enough to know they were useful...

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/42521443/2012-m-arch-applicants-final-results-decisions-stats-etc

Mar 24, 12 7:25 am  · 
 · 
blue

I'm lucky enough to be faced with a tough decision. I've been accepted to GSD, GSAPP, YSOA, Princeton with $$ and Penn with $. And I'm paralyzed. Thoughts on Princeton vs GSD vs GSAPP??

Mar 24, 12 11:50 am  · 
 · 
litic

@blue

Depends on your academic interests really. But I'd say Princeton! and then Yale followed by the GSD.

Mar 24, 12 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

my personal preference would is : Yale, Princeton, GSD.... Cornell, AA, ETH.... Columbia. 

But thats just me. Everyone and their interests are different. Im simply not a fan of Columbia. I know lots of graduates from there that went to my undergrad and they're not exactly any better after coming out. Its a fantastic program if you're really into parametrics, etc. But if I were, I would goto the AA DRL instead. 

Mar 24, 12 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
PradaTransformer

@blue

congrats!!! you must have done an incredible application. i'd love to how you preceded with your letters and portfolio. did you make a different one for each school? to which degree did you know about each program?

my view of things is that it really only depends on what you are looking for.

before attending the open houses, i would suggest you to write out your goals for graduate school. list out the topics and approaches that you would like to explore. there could be many. 

when you go to the open houses, remember that education happens through people.

try to picture yourself in each environment. speak with students. see how they express themselves, what they speak about (architecture & life in general), what lifestyle they have. try to think of the crowd in which you see yourself fit best.

get informed on what graduates of each school do after getting their degrees.

look for professors that you would be interested in getting closer to (knowing their work better and having them as personal mentors)

you can't go wrong. all of those are great school with similar principles of education.

good luck!

Mar 24, 12 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
PradaTransformer

does anyone know who will be the new dean at Princeton? I heard Stan Allen is stepping down.

Mar 24, 12 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: