Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

AA23

Has any SCI-Arc waitlister gotten any documentation from the school yet ... if so, What does it say ..?

Mar 28, 12 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
sausages

Still waiting on results from Cincinnati as well. Was worried this meant bad news but it good to know others are waiting patiently like myself. 

Mar 29, 12 10:53 am  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

For anyone else that's on the M. Arch II wait list for YSOA: if they do end up picking from the wait list, they will be informing people during the week of April 22nd. Relaying the message from Donna Wetmore, one of the admins in the admissions office.

Mar 29, 12 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

^Nice info. Was enrollment deadline April 15 for M. Arch II as well? If so, it probably applies to M. Arch I's.

Mar 29, 12 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
abcd

Has anybody heard anything about financial aid from UW?

Mar 29, 12 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Hayelle

@jason_sf

So sorry for the delayed response! Things got crazy with studio projects/dance performance/job apps. I can definitely still answer your questions about Berkeley/Penn. Let me know if they'd still be helpful and I'll answer! Also, if you're going to be at the open house, let me know and I'm sure I'll see you there.

Mar 29, 12 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@Hayelle

No worries--you sound crazy busy! I actually hadn't been following this thread for the past week or so, so it was a nice surprise to see your response upon checking back in. I eliminated Penn after I got into the GSAPP, but have come to realize that it's way too expensive for me to even consider. Berkeley is offering some decent funding and I like what is going on at the CED, so I think I will probably end up there. Hope to bump into you at the open house! Thanks.

Mar 30, 12 1:04 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

^Oops! Sorry, Hayelle....I just realized that you are at UPenn, not CAL. I think I confused you with another poster! So, I won't be at the Penn open house then...thanks for offering to help!

Mar 30, 12 1:30 am  · 
 · 
aDesigns

Anybody headed out to Univ. Oregon's Grad Day?

Mar 30, 12 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Hayelle

@jason_sf - No problem! Good luck =) If you end up at Cal, you'll love it! I'm interning in LA this summer and can't wait to take a trip up to Berkeley to eat everything in sight. I miss it up there! 

Mar 30, 12 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
duomo

Did anyone go to the UTSOA or UW open houses today? If so, thoughts?

@abcd- not a peep.

Mar 30, 12 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
willwclo

@sg18

If you don't mind sharing, how did you decide to apply for a post-professional programme straight out of school?

I'm currently in school myself, and pursuing further research is something I might be interested in. Yet my former employer seems to frown upon the idea and just don't see value in a post-prof degree. I guess I'm conflicted choosing between pursuing "interest" and finding a job to further career prospects/ease financial burden.

Mar 31, 12 8:25 am  · 
 · 
litic

@willwclo

Technically, the post professional M.Arch at Yale as well as a bunch of other schools like Princeton, Harvard etc. are rigorous studio based programmes. Yale's is in fact one of the longer programmes with two full years of studio work. While there is a design-research approach at all these places, I wouldn't call the M.Arch II a 'research' programme at all.

I faced the same dilemma when I was applying a few months back. Applying while still in school can be both an advantage and a disadvantage, especially when applying for a super competitive programme with very few places. Some people insist on working for a few years to get some real world exposure and then going back to school while others advocate going straight into a master's programme if you're passionate and fairly focused. So at the end of the day, it is a personal choice and there are plenty of people on both sides of the fence.

Mar 31, 12 10:41 am  · 
 · 
mrkl28

UBC is taking too bloody long!

Apr 1, 12 6:47 am  · 
 · 
aDesigns

Glad to hear I'm not the only one still waiting on UBC.

NC State hasn't released decisions yet either, right?

Apr 1, 12 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

@mrkl28 & SitterlyDesigns: Same boat ppl! UBC has still not sent anything by mail or DHL. 

Has TAMU given out the final decisions ?

Apr 1, 12 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

umm any news from ucla march 2??

Apr 1, 12 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

^Today and tomorrow are the open houses for all masters programs. I'm guessing M. Arch II decisions are out already.

Apr 2, 12 2:35 am  · 
 · 
Christian Lam

@mrkl28, SitterlyDesigns, & Starkitect,

Is the UBC application website updated? Can check under status.

Apr 2, 12 6:02 am  · 
 · 
mrkl28

@Christian Lam

Unfortunately it still says "Application Complete" on mine.

Apr 2, 12 8:59 am  · 
 · 
sausages

Accepted march I at the University of Cincinnati. 

Apr 2, 12 10:06 am  · 
 · 
aDesigns

@Christian Lam

My UBC account also states "Application Complete"

Apr 2, 12 10:41 am  · 
 · 
sam goods

For all of you still waiting on UBC - I was rejected via regular post last week.

So maybe no news is good news for you so far :)

Apr 2, 12 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

@Anxiety ..umm i have not received any news yet either about an admission or rejection!and my application still says no decision taken so far

Apr 2, 12 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
dlwilson

On avg. how much loan debt is everyone taking on to do their grad programs?

I'm thinking I might have to take on -Columbia MSAUD $70,000-ish (might not be worth it though)...

p.s. just called ucla admissions office, and 1-2 more weeks until MArch II announcements....

Apr 2, 12 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Got into U Cin!!

Apr 2, 12 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
aDesigns

UBC decision just arrived: Rejection

Bummer.

Apr 2, 12 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Building

@dlwilson

I'm probably going to end up with about $70k debt for Columbia's M.Arch I program, but I am counting on being able to get a position within the school to help pay for things.  With things like assistantships unavailable until the second year, there is a lot of uncertainty about future funding.  It scares me to think that there is a possibility that my debt could approach $100k if I don't get into any open positions.  I am going with a scholarship as well.  I worry for those people that come into the program with no funding at all trying to do everything on loans.

Apr 2, 12 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
jeffmak

Hey I've been just lurking on this thread for the past month. I got a rejection letter from UBC last week. 

Doesn't seem like a lot of Canadian school applicants on here but today I just received an acceptance package from UT.

Still waiting on U of Calgary, Carleton and Hong Kong University but most likely Toronto it will be.

Apr 2, 12 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
VMarie

Did anyone go to Cornell open house last weekend? Thoughts?

Apr 2, 12 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
mrkl28

@makaton I'm from Australia and perhaps my 'rejection' letter is just taking its time to reach me

Apr 2, 12 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

@k2886

You should call AUD admissions about your situation, especially because they have sent out letters (maybe not all.)

Apr 3, 12 3:13 am  · 
 · 
k2886

@anxiety ..I mailed them a few weeks back i precisely got a reply on the 19th of march saying i shall know in 4 weeks..so i am being hopeful..but i would like to know if any else has heard from march 2

Apr 3, 12 6:12 am  · 
 · 
NKDYL

@jeffmak..Congratulations on getting in at UofT. My SGS status changed to decision made last week and walking on egg shells while waiting for a response!

Apr 3, 12 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
slr729

I've been lurking for a good month and figured I'd add my two cents for the Canadian school applicants out there.

@mrkl28 I got a rejection letter from UBC last week (Mar 30), but I'm from Canada. Last year I waited until Apr 17 for a letter and the website was never updated. Just FYI!

@jeffmak Got an acceptance email from U of C this morning, I know someone posted on gradcafe that they got one yesterday - they might send them in rounds since there are so many applications, I'm not sure.

@SitterlyDesigns got my rejection last Friday! I'm with ya!

Apr 3, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
march12012

Does anybody going to the Final Reviews at University of Toronto?

It seems like not many people are talking about Toronto! I want to see what the school is like!

Apr 4, 12 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Vexillation

Anyone else still waiting to hear from UCLA about M.Arch I? I'm starting to think they just forgot about me :x

Apr 4, 12 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

^ i am waiting for march2 ucla if that helps!

Apr 5, 12 4:48 am  · 
 · 
Jesus Camacho

@vexillation I also haven't heard from ucla M.Arch I. Called the department yesterday and told me I should get a response sometime within a week or a week and a half at the most.

Apr 5, 12 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
S.DNA

Congratulations to everyone! This is my first time posting although I have been reading this forum for a long time now.

Female,
Canadian,
4th year Bachelor of Arch Design
Applied: UBC, UT
have been admitted to both

I was wondering if anyone else is debating between these two universities. Personally, UBC remains my first choice because of their location (I grew up in Toronto), CO-OP opportunities, and study abroad programs. However, I have heard that UBC is rather poor (???) Have anyone visited these schools?

Again, congrats to everyone!

Apr 5, 12 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
jeffmak

@NKDYL thanks have you got any news yet? I still didn't get an email telling me I was accepted so I guess I won't be getting one.

@slr729 Congrats! Still no news from Calgary but I'm not waiting for it anymore haha

@S.DNA Congrats I wish I had the choice between the two schools but for me I would still choose Toronto since I grew up in Vancouver. I heard Toronto has more co-op opportunities simply because it's Canada's financial hub? And I'm not sure what you mean by UBC being poor... with their tuition hike in the last 4 years and renovation of almost all their buildings I would say they are doing rather well. I also went to UBC for my undergrad and it is a great school to attend. What factor would be your deal breaker?

Apr 5, 12 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
ngcorliss

@jcamacho Yea me too I called these two days and they said i should hv my status updated tomorrow

Apr 6, 12 1:24 am  · 
 · 
S.DNA

Hi jeffmak, thanks for replying! I didn't mean to put down UBC as I would love to go there. I just heard from a current student that they are investing a lot of money into the new architecture building. As well, the school only has a few public computers (so no computer labs or any sort). Of course, I have never visited the school or city so I just simply took her words. Yeah... sorry about that.

Yes, it's true that Toronto has many firms to choose from, however there are also a lot of schools surrounding this area. Remember that you would likely be competing with students from Waterloo, Ryerson, OCAD, Carleton, just to name a few. I'm not saying competition will not happen in BC or that competition is a problem for anyone, the large amount of people really goes hand in hand with the amount of firms in Toronto. (I hope I'm making sense)

UT has a co-op program? I thought only UBC has a co-op program. Maybe I didn't do my research right. So how is BC? Toronto is fantastic- from food to people and everything in between.     :D

Apr 6, 12 7:13 am  · 
 · 
NKDYL

@jeffmak still no updates yet, my status changed on the 25th and I know some people received their packages a few days ago while others are still "Under Review", so not really sure what to think, but the longer it takes...the sadder I get hahaha

Apr 6, 12 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
jeffmak

@S.DNA no need to be sorry I never thought you were putting down UBC. I personally never had the chance to tour the architecture faculty's facilities so I'm not too sure about the computer labs. I did however do an undergraduate degree in art history which shares the same building as architecture (Laserre) and they seem to have ample studio space for the size of their faculty. I'm a little biased but I think anyone who gets an opportunity to live in Vancouver for a while should take it because it is truly an amazing city. That being said it would be nice to make a friend at U of T if you decide to go there since I do not know many people in Toronto.

You are right about the job opportunities actually since UBC is the only school on the west coast to offer the M.Arch program (at least in Canada)  so there should be less competition. As for the coop program you are probably right too. I just assumed Toronto might have a similar program. My mistake.

As for BC, it is truly a great place to be. I've done my fair share of travelling and I still hold Vancouver to be one of the top places to be. Good food, nice people, good year round weather, scenic... there's not  much more to ask for imo. I probably sound like some kind of advertisement for Vancouver...

Apr 7, 12 5:49 am  · 
 · 
SCIARCer

Anyone still waiting for UCLA ..! .. my God .. they are dis-organised .. !

Apr 7, 12 9:27 am  · 
 · 
k2886

Lets not even get started on that!!

Apr 7, 12 11:33 am  · 
 · 
baran

Hi everyone! 

I got accepted in some schools, I would appreciate it if you guys help me in making a decision!

which one do you think I should choose? 

NC state

SUNY, Buffalo

University of Massachusetts, Amherst

IIT

Apr 7, 12 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

UCLA has already had its open house, and registration deadline is in a week. Just in case, you guys should have a back up plan made.

Apr 7, 12 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
S.DNA

@jeffmak

I think I will be going to Vancouver! haha I have heard so much fantastic things about it, I just cannot go back to Toronto. And you seem to love the city so much, I think it's definitely worth going to. But you shouldn't worry, I know quite a lot of people who will be attending UT, and all of them are very nice people :).

Toronto is also fantastic, I think you will enjoy the busy life in downtown as well as the beaches or parks. The people here are so amazing.  If you are visiting during the summer time, (and if I'm not going on vacation) I can definitely show you around!!! :)

Apr 7, 12 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: