Archinect
anchor

dlc moot point #1

David Cuthbert

took a drive recently using our architectural technicians car, and I became thinking about the "careers" within architecture and how they have changed over the years due to location, acceptance, culture and perhaps most important technology.

what are your thoughts on..."do we need architectural technologists, draftsmen/draughtsmen?" Is the practice of architecture finally shrinking or reasserting itself from the mass seperation is has undergone since the renaissance (seperation to created engineers, surveyors, etc etc)

moot!

Mar 4, 05 12:35 pm
LBG

All I can say is that our profession is dying and it seems like architects do not make the income that they deserve and they are underappreciated and misunderstood by the general public. Before you know it, youll need a M.Arch degree with 5 years experience to be a model maker in a firm. I say that we do not need architechtural technologists, but rather individuals who can assert them selves as masters of their trade and have the know-how to do it all.

Mar 4, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
French

architecture is probably following the path that contemporary art as set for itself: spreading itself in mass consumption culture and thus both spreading itself all over and weakening itself as a discipline on it's own. The link between fashion industry and contemporary art is a good example of how good and bad this direction can be. It brings a lot of money into the production and the commerce of art and at the same time it makes it a marketing tool for brands, banks, companies or even countries.
To me, it comes from the stuff your talking about (to say it quick, the separation between architects and ingeneers related to the invention of the beaux arts in the XVIIIth and XIXth century, and to the creation of modern democracy on a larger scale) and also from the strength of late XXth century capitalism.
my two euro cents.

Mar 4, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: