Archinect
anchor

Marco Frascari is heading to Canada

vtwaacalumni
http://www.now.carleton.ca/2005-1/637.htm

Now sit back and watch everyone else abandon ship (students, that is). My belief is that the only reason worth going to WAAC was Frascari. Now, I'm not so sure the school will be able to recover from his leaving.

Feb 24, 05 3:06 pm
Janosh

No one goes there to be mentored by Jan Holt and Susy Piedmont-Palladino?

Feb 24, 05 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
J3

I'll believe it when he's gone. It doesn't matter what is printed anywhere by anyone. The rumor has been around since I attended the school back in 99-02. Let's not forget the rumors/confirmations at Columbia during their search for a dean...Zaha...Rem...the pope! same at FIU with their claim to getting Enrique Norten. I don't want to see him go, and if he does... he'll be missed. However I feel that Paul Emmons and Susan have allot to offer, and can keep the school (which existed long before Marco) moving forward (and sometime backwards) The question I ask myself is, who is vtwaacalumni?

Feb 24, 05 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Charles Ellinwood

what are you talking about vtwaacalumni? the center was there before marco and it will be there after marco. granted, marco was quite an inspiration, but certainly not the only one.

as a fellow alumnus, i would be worried if the center didn't evolve.

Feb 25, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
adso

More than likely, what is going on is that Carleton has offered him the position, which he has accepted. Between now and next Fall (which I am assuming is when he would take over) either side can back out, so WAAC/VaTech still has the opportunity to woo him back. It is not uncommon for Universities to announce these things even though it is not a done deal.

I think VaTech better do whatever it can to retain him, he's getting a lot of good attention recently. A recent conference in Australia was entirely devoted to him and he has a book ("The Grimoire of Architecture") coming out soon. Just as Perez-Gomez is the centerpiece of McGill's faculty, Frascari would have a profound impact at Carleton. I'd hate to see him get away.

As an aside, has anyone participated in his "Verso Recto" workshop? I am curious as to what the projects are.

Mar 7, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
haze

Marco has officially arrived... or left, depending on your viewpoint.

Jun 21, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
adso

Bad news for VaTech, good news for Marco. I hope he gets the support he deserves there.

Jun 22, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
J3

Having Marco as my thesis chair was both a pleasure and a privilege. I will surely miss him. Having heard the circumstances under which he left, I don't blame him. The center will still be there post-Marco, but there will be plenty of potential students who will look past the school due to Marco's departure.

Jun 22, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: