Archinect
anchor

Software selection

gibson

I am an architect who worked in technology (UX) for 15 years, and moving back to private residential architecture practice.  I started on Autocad, I know the software as evolved, but I can still jump back in and use it fine.

I'll describe what I am looking for and see what thoughts everyone has.  I am working on smaller residential projects, additions and new homes.  I want a solution where I can:

- Parametric model a design and then cut sections & plans. I want one source of truth which updates when I move a door or window

- This model is intelligent (BIM), for an exterior wall I can specify the construction, 2'x6" with open cell spray foam insulation etc..

- The model can create renderings, they do not need to be picture perfect, but high quality enough to present to clients to visualize ideas

- It needs to be able to create construction documents for permitting

My short list is:

- Autocad, maybe Revit?  But it seems like overkill, and expensive for a one man shop

- Sketchup

- Vectorworks

- Archicad

I am hoping for a one software solution I can use through the lifecycle of the process.  The simpler and easier the package is the better, the issue i have with Autocad is I probably use 10% of what the software can do, but I am familiar with it and used it for a number of years.

Insights and recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks

Aug 9, 24 7:30 am
b3tadine[sutures]

Archicad is your go to then, smaller residential firms like it for the cost, ease of use, and the fact that it’s available for Mac OS.

Aug 9, 24 8:04 am  · 
2  · 
proto

i beg to differ on cost -- not cheap at all. i have a lot to say on this topic since i switched from acad lt to archicad 3yrs ago...i'll come back to it this weekend maybe with a more complete comment

for cost? go acad lt & rhino & just deal with the issues -- or, if you like the output better, go vector works for "BIM-light", still not cheap tho

archicad demands a shitton of time to produce quality docs -- i'm torn about earnestly considering switching back... i like the benefits, but the costs are heavy

esp for OP's 1-man shop

Aug 9, 24 11:53 am  · 
1  · 
proto

correction: "i'm torn about it...earnestly considering switching back & cutting bait"

Aug 9, 24 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
gibson

Thank you for the recommendation!

Aug 9, 24 8:27 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

In the context of your overall business plan, is the cost of your software tool really that critical relative to doing your work effectively? A couple of thousand bucks should not be a make-or-break consideration on that. If it is, then the business model needs fixing.

As for BIM vs CAD, to do the things you want to do you need BIM, or a BIM-like solution. Straight-up CAD platforms like Autocad can't really do what you say you want to do.

That leaves Revit, Archicad, Vectorworks, and Chief Architect. Out of those, Revit is the most powerful and scalable, but Chief Architect is probably most easily adapted to what you need. The question is: do you want something scalable for future growth, or good-enough for small practice now. If the latter, then I'd recommend Chief Architect over the other generalist BIM packages.

Aug 9, 24 12:06 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

Totally agree on the valuing cost relative to doing business professionally. This is your primary money maker software.

The difficult part to calculate is the TIME spent to learn from zero and the TIME it takes for effective/appropriate use for production.

Aug 9, 24 12:49 pm  · 
3  · 

In addition - Revit costs about $3k per year to have a subscription. That's not counting the cost of the computer system to run it. This typically cost around $5k and will need to be replaced every five years max. That's an operating cost of $4K a year per person.

Aug 9, 24 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

Proto's point regarding time is important, but needs to be considered in two different ways. First is setup and learning curve. How long will it take you to get everything working the way you want, while learning how to use it effectively? That's a one-time issue, but important. Don't try to do it as you are working on a project. You will make your client very unhappy. Second time issue is an ongoing operational consideration. Which software tools allow you to do the work most effectively and quickest? This is where the BIM solutions really start to outshine CAD. For one project, right out of the gate, the time saving isn't that great (and sometimes BIM can be slower if you haven't done all the setup and training up front ... per my point above). But when you get to doing the next few, using BIM over CAD is way, way, way more efficient.

Aug 9, 24 1:43 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

Rhino, VisualARQ & Grasshopper could theoretically work for you.

Aug 9, 24 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 
gibson

wow thanks everyone, I should clarify, cost is not a big issue, it's more getting features which I will not use, and just clogs up the UI for me. I have not heard of Chief Architect, but this looks compelling, thanks for the tip, will report back on where this goes

Aug 9, 24 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

I currently have a Revit, Enscape, and Rhino stack going on. It's working well for our two-person office. Rhino's Rhino inside Revit plug-in is worth it's weight in gold.

Aug 9, 24 2:58 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Softplan is another option. As is Sketchup; they have new plug-ins that can supposedly do CDs. I haven't looked deeply into it yet, but because I've been on AutocadLT/Sketchup for 22 years, and in analysis paralysis about getting on the BIM train for most of that time, the idea of sticking more or less with what I know, even if it's imperfect, has appeal. 

My close residential architect friends are on Archicad. Revit, Vectorworks, or Autocad/Sketchup. All seem to be fine for them, but BIM is now the industry standard, especially for larger, more complex projects. 

I have heard that Chief Architect is good if you do relatively traditional design. If you want to do more innovating designs, it's not easy to make it do that. Of course the salespeople say it's easy, but the users say it's not. For what that's worth.

Aug 9, 24 4:30 pm  · 
1  · 
gibson

Thanks Josh, I'll check it out

Aug 9, 24 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: