Archinect
anchor

AXP Setting Clarity

FutureArch

Currently, I work in the design department of major university but I’m not sure how to log this experience in my AXP record. I am in a Designer role and I primarily do design options and drafting DD/CD sets, while the other members of my team are Project Managers. Usually I’m involved on each project to do design work in their place. Our part of the department handles smaller projects that don’t require outside architects so we do the design and sometimes act as GC.

I reached out to NCARB (which wasn’t very helpful), they said that if the firm is a registered architecture firm then it would be Setting A and I can check with my state’s board. The issue is Massachusetts, the state I work in, does not register companies as architecture firms they only register architects. My supervisor is a licensed architect but she is working as a Senior Project Manager.

For my experience, if under the supervision of a licensed architect, would it be Setting A or Setting O because it’s work at a University?

Jul 29, 24 1:08 pm

As long as your supervisor is an architect you're fine.  

Do you have an accredited architectural degree?  

Jul 29, 24 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

Ahem, Chad... 

I'm going to have to go ahead and "slam" you on this one. 

No, the OP is NOT fine. 

I'm not going to go through the bureaucratic reasons for why that might be true or not true. That's why NCARB has a phone line, so you can call, speak to an actual human being (something many people in my generation appear to HATE doing these days for whatever reason), and ask whatever questions you want. 

But what I really want to home in on here is this tremendous lack of seriousness that candidates seems to have around the work setting they are getting experience in. Could one check different boxes and have people either lie for them or get people to sign their hours? Sure. Happens all the time. But if one were really after MASTERING architecture, or at least enough to practice independently, then the workplace definitely matters. I would never, for example, want a licensed architect doing a building code analysis, if that person only obtained experience doing FFE at a boutique interior design firm while getting AXP signed off by an architect in that firm. That would be stupid. 

Jul 30, 24 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

The OP is fine IF they have an accredited degree, are working with an architect, and have an NCARB account.  The exact 'setting' is clearly A.  

As the person signing off on the hours you are required to sign a document attesting to the validity of the hours, and that you've actually taught the intern. As an architect if you lie about this you can lose your license.

The quality of the experience used to gain AXP hours can be nebulous though.  In my experience, it's a common question asked by interns if something should be counted.  My view is that if the intern can explain who, what, why, when of what they learned then the hours can be counted.  

Jul 30, 24 6:23 pm  · 
2  · 

Also - the ARE isn't show that you've 'mastered' architecture. I wish it were. Mastering architecture takes decades, if not a lifetime. The ARE is to prove that you have the MINIMUM knowledge to practice architecture. 

Side note:  You could get all your AXP code hours from working at boutique firm. I agree that is an issue. Your experience would be limited to building codes as they apply to tenant renovations, FF&E, ect. That's not going to provide you with enough experience in overall building codes to pass the ARE.

Jul 30, 24 6:36 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

I've seen several people with dubious AXP experiences pass the ARE via studying and taking test prep courses. NCARB takes a very light touch on verifying AXP hours. Investigating, much less proving, dishonesty by a candidate reporting and/or the person signing off on inflated or misclassified AXP hours is pretty much impossible.

Jul 30, 24 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

maybe why we have so many shit architects out there.

Jul 30, 24 8:45 pm  · 
2  · 
curtkram

nobody masters architecture. spend decades and before you get good enough to master the practice you'll slip into old age dementia. that's why they call it "practice."

Jul 31, 24 9:20 am  · 
 · 

NCARB really won't try to verify your AXP hours if you have the correct type of mentor signing off on them. NCARB has intentionally placed the responsibility to verify the hours on the mentor. 

Jul 31, 24 9:51 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

I agree that the OP is an an A setting.

Jul 30, 24 8:40 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: