Archinect
anchor

How do you handle small tenant fit-out MEPs?

Hiker26

How do you handle small tenant fit-out MEPs? 

Most of the time, these are small budget projects that may not warrant getting MEP consultants. I was going to add general notes indicating that the MEP portions of the project "shall be design-build."

I notice many architects include an RCPs with lighting locations, emergency lighting locations as well as exit sign and fire pull station and horn/strobe locations.

Do you include these? I know we can determine where we need exit signs from the IBC, however something like emergency light locations,  do you like to own this? Are you actually determining the illuminance of the egress path? Why not don't show them and defer to the electrical or fire alarm design-build contractor?

Also, regarding sprinklers, if you are moving/building walls yet not necessarily creating new sprinkler work, therefor not triggering a sprinkler permit and getting sprinkler design-builder involved, do you do a double check that they are still in compliance by referencing the NFPA yourself?

Thanks!

Jun 18, 24 8:38 pm
proto

there are free lighting level calc tools available so that you can get a baseline idea of your egress lighting

But earnestly you can just identify the performance criteria for the life safety reviewer on the docs as part of the spec for the design build trade permits

re: sprinks, if you care where they will land, you can guesstimate the layout from existing if it’s an alteration and identify the locations from that. You’ll get a shot at reviewing them when they send them to you for your stamp prior to permit submission 

Jun 18, 24 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
proto

if you don’t care where they align etc, then no need to do extraneous dwgs 

Jun 18, 24 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: