Archinect
anchor

Deleted News comments?

graphemic

I posted a few (snarky) comments on a news post this morning and they're now gone... has this happened to any of you? 

Given the vitriol I've seen posted here I assumed there weren't any mods, haha. To be clear, I think posts should be removed as Archinect sees fit to create the online forum they want. Just an interesting editorial choice. Didn't think my comment was that rude...

Jun 18, 24 7:29 pm

I didn't see any of your comments (I'm a mod, one of many, but we're mostly quiet). I do know that a lot of spam comments have to be deleted all the time - it's a nonstop onslaught for all websites these days. Is it possible your comments got caught up in a mass deletion of spam?

Jun 19, 24 10:32 am  · 
1  · 
graphemic

It's possible, but maybe Appleseed is also on to something. It was regarding the Liam Young post, so I imagine some people like him but it really would be weird for the comment itself to be deemed appropriate.

Jun 20, 24 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

On another note, I'm very curious what you guys delete and why...

Jun 20, 24 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

We rarely delete comments from outside of the Forum (news, features, and other sections on Archinect outside of the forum are not considered the "forum"). Your comment was deleted because it was a cynical take on the project in the form of questions that made it clear that the article text was not actually read. We have recently become more strict with the comments in our editorial, including the requirement for all new users to have their comments reviewed prior to approval. We're getting pretty tired of empty cynicism, as we feel it doesn't offer any value... but we ALWAYS encourage thoughtful comments in our editorial regardless if it's positive or negative.

Regarding Appleseeds comments that they've had comments deleted on "multiple occasions" - there's been exactly one comment posted by that user that was deleted, in the almost 20 years since they have bene on the site, and that comment was deleted because it was a rude comment about the author of the article. Also, his comment "the transition from largely user-submitted articles to thinly-veiled sponcon" - is not only hilariously false on both accounts, we suspect his attitude is due to us declining to publish an event he submitted a few years ago, and has remained bitter since... only hopping onto Archinect when he finds discussions like this one. 

Jun 20, 24 7:14 pm  · 
6  · 
Non Sequitur

Empty Cynicism would have made a great late 90s emo band name... and by great I mean dull and forgettable.

Jun 20, 24 7:41 pm  · 
3  · 
graphemic

This is very interesting, the response is genuinely appreciated! Sadly, I did go out of my way to read the article before opining, just in case I missed something contradicting my point. Just read it again and I wouldn't change a word. I'll do better to make it thoughtful next time, since I think that my cynicism is quite full. We're a service profession on one hand, and an institutionally funded vanguard on the other. I don't see much complaining there, just lots of aspiration cloaked in a spectacle of reinvention. These aesthetics deserve critiq ue, and I really enjoy getting on here to dish it out. I'm sorry that you guys have to process so much animosity, I do get how that would be frustrating. Again, thanks, and trust you'll be hearing my thoughtful (if negative) comments as long as you'll let me.

Jun 20, 24 7:51 pm  · 
2  · 
Archinect

The mod that deleted it may have been especially frustrated with comments that day and was extra strict. We make no claims to always be right in our moderation, and this may have been a case where we were wrong, but at the end of the day, it's just a comment, and we hope the recipients of the moderation don't take it personally, as our intentions are never personal.

Jun 20, 24 7:58 pm  · 
3  · 
graphemic

For sure, mods have hard and appreciated responsibilities . Also shared meaning from language is inherently unstable... just a comment indeed!

Jun 20, 24 8:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Appleseed

Hilarious indeed - as I'm on here during lunch most days; and yes it was a surprise to be told that you guys now charge to publish events (don't even think I was directly involved in the last one that I submitted, just though ppl. might be interested). Perhaps we're not even talking about the same comment that was deleted - my reference was to a glowing press release for a co-working space in Hollywood during the pandemic, which absolutely conflicted w/ the actual reality at the time. Not bitter, and still here ;)

Jun 21, 24 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Yes. On multiple occasions, since the transition from largely user-submitted articles to thinly-veiled sponcon and pay-to-play "news" releases.

Jun 19, 24 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Oh hush.

Jun 21, 24 11:08 am  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: