Archinect
anchor

What are the difficulties of returning to architecture after a career change?

JCArchi

The short version of this post is that I've been offered a job through a friend as a PM for a structural steel fab shop. The upside is that I'll be doubling my salary, the hours are much better, I get a company truck, and there's room for growth and exploring smaller scale fabrication opportunities. The downside is that I feel like if I take this job I'm giving up on architecture and may have a hard time returning if this new role really isn't for me.

I have become less enamored with the profession over the last few years years based on the jobs/roles that I've held, especially the work/life balance in relation to how little I'm paid. I enjoy what's at stake within the profession and have a love for design, but having worked on everything from interior renovations to high-rise design during the last 7-8 years, nothing has quite held my attention. I've had the opportunity to teach undergraduate design studios and really enjoyed that, but it has almost moved me to believe that I need to recalibrate my expectations of the profession and do things on my own terms. I feel like moving careers for a change of pace will give me some perspective while I continue taking my ARE exams and obtain licensure, but am worried by how a gap in "formal" architectural experience may affect my prospects of moving back should/when I decide I'd like to.

Have any of you had any experience in difficulties or ease of return to the field after a career change?

May 30, 24 8:58 am
Wood Guy

I've bounced in an out of residential design for 22 years now, mostly working as a designer, about half and half as an employee vs. self-employed, a few stints as a carpentry contractor or building contractor, and one stint as operations manager of a start-up panelized construction business. I have found no problems with getting work when I have come back to design; in fact employers and clients usually appreciate my relatively broad range of experience.

May 30, 24 11:21 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I took a couple detours into related fields and didn't find getting back to architecture too difficult either time. Your biggest issue might be making too much money - architecture firms unable to match your higher income and reluctant to hire at a pay cut for fear you won't stick around, even if you tell them you're OK with it.

May 30, 24 9:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Miyadaiku

Ultimately, your career preference is up to you and you alone. A 100% pay increase is a rare opportunity and I wouldn't scoff at it.

A PM job at a structural steel fab shop is most likely going to focus on your ability to manage 2 things very tightly, schedule and budget. Some technical issues that need to be solved will arise but that will just be solved by communicating with the engineering team. You'll learn a lot of things related to steel fab, how a fabrication facility actually operates, how logistics works, etc. It could be very interesting for you (I've worked in fabrication as well)

The bonus is with the extra income and new knowledge you gain about fabrication, you can just "do architecture" in your own backyard on your own design terms adding additions to the house you'll actually be able to afford now.

Architecture will be waiting, just with a new year after the IBC and some new form of Dryvit that claims it won't mold either.

May 31, 24 4:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: