Archinect
anchor

Are these actual ruins?

Suzieq22

These ruins appear in an old painting. Are they real? If so, where? Or are they imaginary?

May 29, 24 12:24 pm
Non Sequitur

When is your homework due?

May 29, 24 12:33 pm  · 
Suzieq22

Too old for homework. Only housework - 70's.

May 29, 24 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You fooled me then because you have identical research skills as today's highschool kids.

May 29, 24 1:11 pm  · 
1  ·  1
bowling_ball

That doesn't even look like a painting, it looks like a picture taken from a tv.

May 29, 24 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Suzieq22

It's not good, I know. My friend sent a photo' to my 'phone which I then took a photo' of with my Kindle (I am partially sighted so need a larger keyboard). This was then reduced to show the above. Didn't want to show whole scene as it is not my property. Sorry if this offends you.

May 29, 24 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Suzieq22

Just trying to help an old friend try to identify where a painting (inherited) might depict, or be based on. There are also cottages in the painting. The 'ruins's are on a a river/canal side.

May 29, 24 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

What's the whole painting

May 29, 24 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Seeing the whole painting would help.

May 31, 24 11:26 am  · 
 · 
bureauspacecraft

The closest thing I could find was Sodor Castle from Thomas the Tank Engine...

Probably imaginary ruins in the style of abbey ruins from the British Isles..

May 29, 24 2:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Suzieq22

Too many 'buildings'.

May 29, 24 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Suzieq22

It's a river/canal scene with a cottage, trees, a couple of small sailing boats, and a woman in old style clothes and what looks like a white bonnet. The ruins are set back slightly on the far bank. Have tried to add another photograph but not letting me.

May 29, 24 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

The landscape could give a clue, but I think it's fantasy

May 29, 24 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Adding pictures here can be tricky. You can try typing one character of text then adding the picture under the text. Or in a Reply post, post a text reply, then click the upper right grey text to Edit Comment, and when the edit window opens then add the picture.

May 31, 24 11:27 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Do you know who the painter was, or have their signature?

May 29, 24 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Suzieq22

No signature on painting. Someone has written Stubbs on the back but that seems highly unlikely.

May 29, 24 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The ruins in the background are from this particular castle:

Zardoz52

Those who know, know.

May 29, 24 8:23 pm  · 
2  · 

I know.

May 30, 24 11:33 am  · 
 · 

Is that the Kubrick movie? I hated that movie.

May 31, 24 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, don't think so. The ruins are from a 1974 John Boorman flick.

May 31, 24 12:23 pm  · 
2  · 

Charlie Boorman's father?! Oh my goodness, Charlie Boorman is a big crush of mine.

May 31, 24 12:42 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Bigger than Brad?

May 31, 24 1:03 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

zardoz!

May 31, 24 1:51 pm  · 
2  · 

I contain multitudes, Non.

May 31, 24 1:55 pm  · 
2  · 

It looks vaguely Islamic to me? Maybe an Islamic-architecture-style folly in an English garden?

May 31, 24 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Montacute House garden follies. This isn't the same, but you can see similarities. 

Rectangular with an onion dome, open arches, obelisk forms. 

Maybe look into who designed the garden at Montacute House, at what time period, and look further into contemporary (same time period) houses and landscape designers? Note that most landscape follies were not designed by architects but by gardeners, the most famous of whom was Capability Brown (he also has the best name).

May 31, 24 11:55 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: