Archinect
anchor

Designing a steel truss cantilever system

Alistair1206

I am designing a slanted steel truss cantilever system for a lecture theatre. I am using steel beams and columns which is embedded and connected to slabs of concrete. I am struggling to find any examples or ideas of how I would detail the floor of the cantilever with the steel beams. Would I use a steel roof deck or concrete? If anyone has any ideas or examples on the detailing for this it would be very helpful.

Mar 31, 24 5:18 pm
luvu

I’d forgive you for this if you re still in high school.

Mar 31, 24 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

Kind of like those architecture school admission portfolio examples that I saw at Univ. of Oregon.... years ago.

Apr 1, 24 12:39 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Did you use Rhino in high school?

Apr 1, 24 11:08 am  · 
 · 

First, you don't embed the steel trusses in concrete. While concrete may have reinforcement, it would be something like a welded wire mesh. There would basically be a metal pan system that would be on top of the trusses. The metal pan is basically the form you would poor the concrete slabs supported by the trusses. 

Take a look at this. This truss is a cantilever truss supporting a roof. The roof may be metal roof. Similarly. you may support a floor with a concrete slab. From the underside, it would look similar with what would look like a corrugated metal pan like the following:

Note, the main difference in the cantilever truss and a regular open web floor truss is the bottom chord of the truss is at a angle where the truss depth on one end from bottom of slab/pan to bottom chord is larger than on the other end. Often the depth on the large end has to be 2-3x or so than a normal depth if supported on both ends in a regular truss. There are other factors in the engineering of the trusses that I'm not going into and the engineering to the right size of the truss elements and all. It isn't something I am even venturing to guess. This is something where I would have a truss engineer detail that stuff out. 

You should at least learn about the types of trusses and what they look like. There are actually multiple types of cantilever trusses but the kind to support a floor or a roof on top would look like the example I gave. Other types for various applications. Just do a little google search and even look at the images and you can see how they are used and get some idea about types of cantilever trusses and how they are used. Take a look at some steel truss bridges and you can see how they been used in those applications. 

This way, your truss design actually can make sense from a functionality perspective. There are a lot of fundamental truss design issues. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with the design. 

Apr 1, 24 1:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: